cabinet renovation - before and after

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

void

Freakzoid
Reaction score
I put together an ikea besta double cabinet a few years back with the tombo glass doors and installed the ikea dioder led light bars. I liked it, but wanted to show off the back of my premium format statues. I got some mirrors from ikea that fit perfectly and glued them to the back of the cabinet. I was happy.

After about a year, I was fed up with the all glass doors and picked up the wood trim doors. The doors (in the before pics) looked good, but cut too much of the statues off. Then ikea cancels these doors and replaces them with another door with more glass and less wood. Perfect! However, I was still not impressed with all the holes (to mount shelves) and the dark interior, so I wanted to do something a little different.

So here we go...

Here's the before. Lights mirrors, doesn't look bad, but rather dull. I wanted to make the cabinet brighter.

So the project begins. First step, fill all the stupid holes. Not fun.

Started with Zissner 123 primer. Taped the whole cabinet and mirrors and did a double coat. The shiny ikea cabinet wasn't the easiest thing to prime.

more in the next post

Next came the paint. This was a velspar primer+gloss paint. Painting sucks.

My place isn't large, so I had to make some interesting accommodations while the paint dried. Did I mention painting sucks?

Coming along nicely...

I primed and painted the inside of the doors as well...it was not fun.

Then this happened. The shelves were just a few mm to big to fit, so I wound up scraping a bit of paint, which was horrible. But I touched it up and it's not 100% noticeable.

Finished product

So after waiting 2 weeks, I decide it's time to put it all back up.

And the finished shots...

Now my friends, I have two premium format figures and only on available slot!

Do I set up...

Psylocke Premium Format

or

Commander Shepard Premium Format

????

+1 commander Shepard

Great work on the shelves, they look much, much better

I don't like bestas big reason is the darkness, white inside makes a huge difference, it really highlights the pieces and the mirror gives it significant depth. Hats off to you sir.

That's a sweet setup! Did the ikea cabinets come with the lighting or did you have to put them in yourself?

Excellent Job, Very Professional my Friend Void and the answer to your question is display both, put one or the other inside and one on the very top, Impressive Posts

Now my friends, I have two premium format figures and only on available slot!

Do I set up...

Psylocke Premium Format

or

Commander Shepard Premium Format

????

What you need to be asking is "which statue has a better @ss?"

Therein lies the answer.

You need more best as soon as this hobby is too addictive, hahaha

Back