BvS: Dawn of Justice versus The Dark Knight Trilogy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of comparing just the films, which one does the character of Batman better?

BvS Batman wouldn't have let Ra's Al Ghul, the Joker, Bane or their henchmen terrorize the city. Nuff said.

In fact, imagining those three against the Affleck Batman is pretty hilarious. They would be royally ****ed.

I haven't seen BVS, but I'm not hyped at all, and not just because of the negative reviews, but because of the second trailer with Doomsday and some of the casting choices like Gadot. Now, when Batman Begins came out, I had no expectations and I was blown away...considering the previous film was B&R. From the moment BB ended, I could not wait to see a sequel, especially because they teased the Joker at the very end of the film...which has to be one of the greatest teasers ever, and such a great way to end the first film. So for almost 3 years I kept in touch with every single bit of news regarding TDK, and I loved everything...even Ledger's casting. TDK's marketing campaign was one of the greatest ever...for those who kept track of it, with all the Joker clues and the "I believe in Harvey Dent tour." Everything was done perfectly, from the teaser trailer where you hear the Joker's new voice for the first time to the official trailers....I even went to see "I Am Legend" in theaters just to see the official TDK trailer.

Then, Ledger died...that didn't change anything for me because I was already looking forward to the film, but I noticed how other people were suddenly interested in the film...people who hadn't seen BB. Because I was involved as a fan with the "Harvey Dent marketing campaign", I actually received an email from "the joker"/WB for a special early screening in Orlando FL, but unfortunatly I couldn't go because I was in college at the time, so I missed it and probably lost some of the "exclusive" merchandise from the screening. When I finally went to see TDK, I was literally trembling in the theater because of how anxious and exited I was...and to this day, I haven't been as hyped about a film as I was for TDK. After watching TDK, I bought just about anything I could get TDK related to go along with my BB merchandise, including the Mattel Movie Masters figures.

Because of TDK I got into Hot Toys, and bought most of their figures along with other figures from other films because I was hooked on HT...but that's another story. When TDKR came out, I was looking forward to it. The marketing campaign as well as the trailers were cool, but it wasn't even close to how I felt about TDK, mainly because I wasn't a big fan of Bane or Cat Woman, but when I saw the film, I loved it...loved Bane and the way the trilogy ended. I didn't buy any HT figures from it except the updated Batman figure, but I skipped the rest, not because I wasn't a fan of the film, but because by then I was tired of Hot Toys and their way of doing business and their constant milking of characters. Anyway, no theatrical experience compares to TDK for me...not even my favorite film of all time, Terminator 2. If I like BVS, I might buy some merch...probably Batman, and I might just go for a Japanese import 6'' inch figure, not HT.

This post almost made me cry :lol

I don't care about the character Batman, I like his world, I like his villains and the Gotham City aesthetic. The animated series was great and I loved it. I wasn't extremely excited to see Batman Begins but just like every superhero movie back then I made sure to watch it on the big screen. When the movie was over my jaw was on the ground. As soon as it was over I knew it already surpassed X2 as my favorite superhero movie of all time, and I was a big X-Men fan growing up and X2 was just about perfect to me.

Then TDK came out and changed everything :lol
I honestly think it's because of the Nolan trilogy that I can't enjoy many superhero movies anymore. They're just great movies, I wish other directors were worried about making great movies like these instead of being worried about setting up the next film in an endless franchise.

Up until BB I didn't think I'd ever see a superhero movie as great as X2, and then TDK came out and blew both of those movies away. TDKR I love as well, it might have been my greatest theater experience ever :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BvS Batman wouldn't have let Ra's Al Ghul, the Joker, Bane or their henchmen terrorize the city. Nuff said.

In fact, imagining those three against the Affleck Batman is pretty hilarious. They would be royally ****ed.

That would make for a very short movie and comic series then. :)

I'm a great admirer of the Nolan flicks, but they don't have a lot of rewatch value to me. I always felt like, deep down, they were embarrassed to have Batman in them.

I love the image of Batfleck going into the Bane showdown from TDKR and just taking him out with one punch.

They're very different types of movies.

I didn't see Batman Begins in the theaters, because I didn't have an interest for comic book films outside of the Raimi Spider-man films, but after seeing it, I was excited for anything Nolan was putting out. I was really hyped for the Dark Knight, but I saw it a week or two after it was released. I loved it and it was the only movie that I saw in theaters twice! I was stoked out of my mind for The Dark Knight Rises, and it was the first movie that I saw opening night (The Force Awakens and Batman V Superman are the only other ones).

With BvS, I was hyped for it more than any movie in my life. The only entertainment release that I was more excited for was the video game Metal Gear Solid V. Despite thinking Henry Cavill's acting was wooden, Eisenberg's Luthor being a bit silly, and Doomsday looking wonky, I was so excited for Batman. I loved the Dark Knight trilogy. I've watched all three almost 10 times each, but seeing that first BvS teaser, I lost my mind that we were finally getting a totally non-compromised Batman from the comics. I'd be totally lying if I said I wasn't a sucker for a great costume.

Unfortunately, I saw it yesterday, and I didn't enjoy it at all. I don't want to see anymore out of this universe. Maybe, I'm just holding on to nostalgia and I'm the problem. Watching Daredevil, I couldn't help but compare him to Batman, and think Matt was a more interesting character. Heck, I felt the same way about other Marvel characters, but I don't want to admit that to myself. :lol

Seeing these characters brought to life on the big screen gets them out of my idealized image and see the characters for what they are. I think I just like comic book characters because they're big testosterone soap operas. I just like following the adventures of a character, but the characters themselves aren't that compelling. They have to remain static to keep the story-line going.

Maybe, I'm way over thinking that. Batman is a great character, right? BvS is the problem, or I'm the problem, but not Batman........right?:lol

This post almost made me cry :lol

I don't care about the character Batman, I like his world, I like his villains and the Gotham City aesthetic. The animated series was great and I loved it. I wasn't extremely excited to see Batman Begins but just like every superhero movie back then I made sure to watch it on the big screen. When the movie was over my jaw was on the ground. As soon as it was over I knew it already surpassed X2 as my favorite superhero movie of all time, and I was a big X-Men fan growing up and X2 was just about perfect to me.

Then TDK came out and changed everything :lol
I honestly think it's because of the Nolan trilogy that I can't enjoy many superhero movies anymore. They're just great movies, I wish other directors were worried about making great movies like these instead of being worried about setting up the next film in an endless franchise.

Up until BB I didn't think I'd ever see a superhero movie as great as X2, and then TDK came out and blew both of those movies away. TDKR I love as well, it might have been my greatest theater experience ever :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:hi5: :duff

Yeah, TDKR was also a good experience for me. After seeing BVS today, I can't say the experience was better than the TDKT, but it was nice to see the beginning of JL.

I’ll be seeing that later today, I’m actually more excited now with all the backlash :lol

Burtonverse was too fairytale, Nolanverse too real-world. I'm hoping the new DC cinematic universe strikes a nice balance between the two.

Haven't seen BvS yet but I liked MoS...

I’ll be seeing that later today, I’m actually more excited now with all the backlash :lol

I had a really negative take, but from reading everyone's comments, I might have been way off base. You and ClownPrince always have very level-headed views on entertainment, so I'm interested to see how they compare. My views are always all over the place and seem turn on the dime.:lol

I had a really negative take, but from reading everyone's comments, I might have been way off base. You and ClownPrince always have very level-headed views on entertainment, so I'm interested to see how they compare. My views are always all over the place and seem turn on the dime.:lol

Thanks!

I'll be seeing this about 2 hours, I was going to respond to your review but figured I'd wait until I see the movie myself to have a better convo with you :lol

Sucks that you didn't enjoy it man, the good thing is, There will be a lot more movies in this universe and you might end up loving those movies enough to get back on board with this universe, he'll, some of those future movies might even remedy the problems you had with BvS.

I've been saying this a lot, but I'm just not a fan of these universe building movies, I prefer watching stories with a definitive ending so I know Singer has said that Apocalypse will sort of conclude what he started with his original X-Men films and also end the FC trilogy, I think after Apocalypse I'm checking out. I'll watch these movies when they hit Blu Ray or television but I won't be invested anymore, I don't like the whole serialized storytelling when it comes to movies. Good or Bad, I think Apocalypse will probably be my last superhero flick I'm invested in.

I think the same thing is going to happen with Daredevil as well, I'm just hoping for at least 2 more good seasons before all the crossover shows, and eventually putting him in the Marvel movies.

Dark Knight Trilogy is still better both personally and critically and probably always will be. Unless Affleck gets his own trilogy....

As far as personal enjoyment... I think BvS has the potential to rise to #3 on my list behind TDK and TDKR, but ahead of Begins, Batman '89, and Returns.

Thanks!

I'll be seeing this about 2 hours, I was going to respond to your review but figured I'd wait until I see the movie myself to have a better convo with you :lol

Sucks that you didn't enjoy it man, the good thing is, There will be a lot more movies in this universe and you might end up loving those movies enough to get back on board with this universe, he'll, some of those future movies might even remedy the problems you had with BvS.

I've been saying this a lot, but I'm just not a fan of these universe building movies, I prefer watching stories with a definitive ending so I know Singer has said that Apocalypse will sort of conclude what he started with his original X-Men films and also end the FC trilogy, I think after Apocalypse I'm checking out. I'll watch these movies when they hit Blu Ray or television but I won't be invested anymore, I don't like the whole serialized storytelling when it comes to movies. Good or Bad, I think Apocalypse will probably be my last superhero flick I'm invested in.

I think the same thing is going to happen with Daredevil as well, I'm just hoping for at least 2 more good seasons before all the crossover shows, and eventually putting him in the Marvel movies.

Oh, no you saw that! :lol

I felt like I was in a cuckoo clock after seeing how many people enjoyed it, because I even enjoyed the Amazing Spider-man 2 a lot more (which is what I thought this movie was going to be like "quality-wise"). It's not like Iron Man 3, Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, and Age of Ultron where people are ripping it to shreds. Everyone seems to have enjoyed it. I haven't watched any of the truly bad movies (or at least, I don't remember them), but I even enjoyed the Amazing Spider-man 2 more (which is what I thought this movie was going to be quality-wise). The people that I saw it with thought it was okay, and a lot of folks here on sideshow liked it, so I really hope you just come at me with a "What what is wrong with you?" :lol This is an instance where I really hope the trend continues of you having an opposite opinion. I would love to be convinced otherwise!

You're right though! I'm still looking forward to Suicide Squad. I thought Bryan Singer was still making movies based on that long interview you posted. I guess I misread!

Have fun, man!

Dark Knight Trilogy is still better both personally and critically and probably always will be. Unless Affleck gets his own trilogy....

As far as personal enjoyment... I think BvS has the potential to rise to #3 on my list behind TDK and TDKR, but ahead of Begins, Batman '89, and Returns.

I remember you not digging the trailers at all, so I'm happy you enjoyed it!

That's interesting you put TDKR above those other movies because a lot of people would disagree with you here. I love the Dark Knight Rises. I know it's got issues, and there was a point where the hate got to me, and I started disliking it, but I love it! I always try to keep an open mind on things, and sometimes it makes me enjoy products way more and sometimes less. So I actually commend you, man, on your pre-quel defending! If you love them, rock on buddy!

For me, I'd put Dark Knight and Batman Begins before the Dark Knight Rises. I just loved how they developed Bruce as a character. I didn't get that from the comics that I read, so I really appreciated it! The Dark Knight Rises is definitely more epic in scope, and I love the atmosphere in the Bane vs Batman fight. Outside the weird spin punch, I think it's great. As much as I like the Daredevil fights, the punches never look like they connect at all, so I might even put that Bane fight above them. They really bugged me, despite thinking the choreography was great.

Here's how I view them personally, the theatrical WB films anyway

The Dark Knight
Batman 1989
Batman Begins
Batman Returns
Batman: The Mask of Phantasm
Batman Forever
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman and Robin
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

The Lego Batman movie will probably edge out as #1

I love Keaton Batman, it was the best thing that happened to a child growing up in the 80's -90's. I will always put Keaton in a pedestal when it comes to Batman, the character.

But, if I'm going to be objective, the Nolan Trilogy is unmatched to this day.

Marvel, every other DC film, Fox/Marvel, anything coming book related is kiddie stuff in comparison.

I've given my share of crap to the Nolan films before, but as I'm now able to see things differently now (with the onslaught of CB movies coming out left and right anyway) I can honestly say that I'll always be thankful for what Mr. Nolan did for the Batman franchise and its fans.

TDK in the theatre, spoiler free, was an incredible cinematic (hell, life) experience to me, that I do not see being matched by anything (I hope I'm wrong).

Batfleck was not bad. But I enjoyed Bale more.

I think all the actors that have played Batman/Bruce Wayne were above being serviceable. It comes with the role I think. Clooney is the only one that does nothing for me in the role. He does nothing with it, not that anyone could blame him.

Other than that, they all have their pros and cons. Most of them are cut from the same cloth really with their Alfred's and such. Alfred harps on his life style in pretty much every movie from Burton to Nolan to Snyder.

I didn't like BvS, but I want to see more Affleck outside of Suicide Squad. Irons too. They had good chemistry.

TDK in the theatre, spoiler free, was an incredible cinematic (hell, life) experience to me, that I do not see being matched by anything (I hope I'm wrong).

Yup, it was the Batman movie I'd been waiting my whole life for. I wanted "Silence of the Lambs in spandex", and Ledger's Joker was the first time I'd been genuinely scared by a movie since Hannibal Lecter.

However I still put it second to Superman: The Movie, which remains my "perfect" superhero movie.

So you liked bvs? Or just enjoy it

Back