Buyer beware of fred barton!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atheris

Super Freak
Reaction score
After almost a year of dealing with this clown today was the last straw! Below details my personal experience in dealing with Fred barton over the course of this year.

Back in February of 2011 I sent Fred barton a $425 money order deposit as requested by him (the only method of payment he would take was Personal Check, Cashier’s Check, or Money order) to secure his 1:1 Robocop bust at an exclusive pre-order price of $850. Fred told me and many others this bust would be carried and distributed ONLY by himself and that once units started shipping around March/April the regular price for this bust would be $950 with an edition size of 200-250. I went to my bank paid $25 to get the money order and sent it off to him which he received in less than a week. Then near the end of February I start hearing and reading many posts on the forums that Fred is taking PO deposits via credit card. So why did I have to go spend $25 to send you a DAM money order Fred??

March and April came and went, so did May, June and July....August 5th the bust was finally shippped. Almost half a year past from when I was told the bust would ship. During that entire span of time, getting Fred to return an email or phone call regarding the status of the bust was virutally impossible. I would go weeks at a time without a single reply from him and at the longest 3 MONTHS!. His communication was horrible to non-existent. Then one day in the middle of July to the surprise of many customers that ordered direct through Fred, the bust go's up for pre-order on Sideshows website for the SAME pre-order price that was advertised by Fred to be excluive only if you PO'd with him. He essentially lied and conned people into sending him money. THEN, turns around and breaks the news to people that ALL SALES ARE FINAL and no refunds will be issued!. Not once did Fred state to me or ANYONE that any and all deposits were non-refundable.

A few days before the bust was ready to ship Fred charged the remaining balance of $540.21 to my credit card for a total of $965.21. I called him upset that he charged me $115 for shipping when he originally told me it would be $80 and never notified me it was changed. He basically made up a story saying the original price he gave me was just a quote...which is BS....he confirmed it with his secretary sitting right next to him while he was on the phone with me.

When the bust finally showed up at my door and was unpacked, all I could do was grind my teeth and swallow hard at the tragedy that sat before me. The bust was shockingly light, 9lbs to be exact and just felt CHEAP. The paint app which had been promised by Fred to many as being 2nd to none because he was having them painted in the USA ended up looking horrible!. The entire busts paint application was covered in hair bubbles, their were chips in the paint, their was debris stuck to the bust and just painted over, paint from the face was leaking onto the chin guard, the teeth hardley had paint on them and their was black overspray covering the bust. The head of the bust barely was holding on and would wobble and crack when you moved the bust. The base below it did not fair any better, only being held to the bust with 3 small screws and cheap dollar store "L" brackets. Their was enough play between the bust and the base that it would hang and shake back and forth when you lifted the bust.....TOTAL JUNK!

When I contacted Fred about the issues, he told me he was making a new batch which would be stronger/thicker later in the year if I wanted a replacment and would tweak the paint apps on mine for a better finish. Then shortly after, I get a follow up email from him saying he feels that I am a customer he can not make happy and the bust he sent me was not defective at all. He then went on to say he refuses to give me a replacment and will make a one time exception and give me a refund instead. Attached to that email was a copy of a pre-paid shipping Fedex express return lable and customs forms which he had already filled out and instructed me to print them out, attach it to the box and have Fedex pick up the package. I replied to him asking if I would be refunded the shipping cost of the bust as well, this was his reply..

Once the unit has been received, accounting will call you directly and will go over all the details of the refund.

It will all be proper.

f

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:50 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Replacement bust
Importance: High

Also, will the full amount plus the shipping be refunded to my credit card?

As I paid the $400 deposit via money order.

Chris

Fedex picked up the package from my house November 2nd and was received by Fred on the 3rd. Two days later I get an email from Fred saying the cheque is in the mail and will be here in a week. I never did get that call from "accounting" to go over the details not even a follow up email....nothing!

1 week gos by, no cheque...2 weeks gos by, still no cheque.....almost 3 weeks gos by. I email Fred Nov 21st asking him where my cheque is and if its been mailed out. He replys back to assure me it has gone out. Today I check the mail and sure enough find an envelope in there from Fred. Upon opening the letter I see the refund cheque was actually printed out November 12th a WEEK after when he told me it was already in the mail.

Now what do you suppose would be more shocking than being a dooped into buying a Fred barton robocop bust?
How about being dooped twice by sending back the bust and only being refunded $723!!...Fred you SOB.

Not only did he deduct the cost of shipping for the bust into Canada he also deducted the RETURN shipping back to him off the total!. A PRE-PAID SHIPPING LABLE WHICH HE SENT ME. Not ONCE did he mention or tell me he would be subtracting the shipping costs off the total of the bust.

In the description of the refund he states I sent the package to him Fedex priority instead of express and it cost him $429.60 to pick it up.

HELLOO FREDD, I USED THE SHIPPING LABLE YOU SENT ME TO SEND IT BACK TO YOU!!

So now your twisting this around saying that "I" sent it priority so you could deduct the shipping costs off the total of the bust??

It even states in the refund invoice he sent me "prepay" "federal express". In his OWN invoice his lie is revealed. See pictures below of the invoice..

F22.jpg

F4.jpg

F33.jpg

This whole experiance has driven me crazy from beginning to end. Fred barton is liar which has been caught many times in his own lies. To anyone considering doing business with this man please think twice. It will only shave years off your life and dollars from your bank account.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren't you the guy who couldn't say enough good things about this guy not too long ago?

Even going so far as to knock other peoples "cheap" collectibles in favor of your "higher end" stuff that you pay so much of your vast amounts of money for?

And deriding all of us who still buy Sideshow products as well, I believe.

Yeah...pretty sure that was you.

I love Karma.

Weren't you the guy who couldn't say enough good things about this guy not too long ago?

Even going so far as to knock other peoples "cheap" collectibles in favor of your "higher end" stuff that you pay so much of your vast amounts of money for?

I love Karma.

If I could have seen into the future, do you think I would have entered into any business with this man?

SS is a separate entity which I addressed concerns regarding their QC, which is still an ongoing issue (among other things).

Next...

Chris

Do what I did, get a lawyer, take him to court and sue.. Now I had no trouble with this Fred barten guy but same kinda ____.... Get a lawyer and sue.

mrb

Wow, that sucks. It really sucks when people get burned on stuff like this.

Don't mean to derail this thread, but I just bought a very expensive lifesize piece myself from a prop artist recently this year.

Pretty disappointing in both quality and how the guy dealt with me afterwards. The piece came broken and was missing parts to assemble it. After promises of sending the parts and giving me a set of replacement hands to make the deal better, the guy stopped emailing me after almost 2 months....sigh..

Win some, lose some.

You really have bad luck with collectibles..It seems as time goes on, more and more scammers pop up and the quality of many collectible companies decreases.

sad..

I can vouch for Atheris. Fred lied to me many times about the Status of the bust and when I would ask him what's going on he would send a sarcastic response. Eventually I did get a refund bit only because I threatened a charge back with my credit card provider. I have also been told he was rude to people at Comic Con they tried to approach him. This guy is a grade A Cocksmith. I hope this venture of his falls flat on it's face when all the sideshow orders get damaged because of the poor quality of the materials. Do not give this guy your money. Heck don't even give it to sideshow as It will line his scumbag pockets. That is all.

Yeah, I can vouch for Atheris too...I can vouch that he spent a fair amount of time talking down to many of us about our collecting habits.
Also, he felt the need to discuss the amount of money we spent on our "low end" stuff vs. the amount he had and was able to spend on "high end" pieces.

So...this is pretty damn hilarious.

:exactly::goodpost::clap

I love Karma.

Yeah, I can vouch for Atheris too...I can vouch that he spent a fair amount of time talking down to many of us about our collecting habits.
Also, he felt the need to discuss the amount of money we spent on our "low end" stuff vs. the amount he had and was able to spend on "high end" pieces.

So you got a vendetta against me because I got vendetta against SS?

Do I know you?, if you can find me one single post where I have personally attacked you based on your spending habits...please do share.

I've only ever posted my thoughts and opininons on pieces people have bought based on my own experience doing business with the same company. I've elaborated further about pieces I've personally received which I always have backed up with proof. Where as your only proof is purley based on what you think of me and how you disagree with how I voiced my opinions and some how felt personally attacked. I dont see how this is possible, as I believe this is the first time I've ever spoken with you.

Had you purchased this same bust from Fred and dealt with the same issues myself and others have, what would you think of me then?...friend or foe?

Its easy to talk down to people and shoot insults when you've never had to experiance it yourself. Eventually, everyones number gets called...and I promis you will be singing a different tune then.

So when your number comes, I'll be right there to remind you how funny it is.

Look at it this way, if you ever decide to puchase this bust from Fred after reading my post and end up going through the same thing...then you should thank me for giving you the heads up.
Or
If you ever order this bust through SS to avoid what I have posted in this thread...then you should still thank me.

Thats what this thread is all about, informing fellow collectors "like yourself" weather you like me or hate me about Fred's practice. Hense the title "buyer beware"....your welcome.

Chris

I love Karma.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not sure about this whole Fred/Atheris issue, Fred may or may not be in the wrong. However, I do know Atheris is a pompous, arrogant poster that has talked non-stop **** about all of us Sideshow collectors and how he would laugh at us for "throwing our money away" on their "junk." He proclaimed he was now only going to buy the highest caliber of collectibles from this point forward and turn up his nose at us simpletons that still buy from POS Sideshow.

Like Sabres, all I have to say is karma is a 4-legged female dog...All I can do is L-O-freaking-L at your situation. :nana:

I've never seen him attack/mock anyone who orders from SS..but most if not everything he has said about SS is true.

..just sayin

For your edification...

I'll give my opinion on anything I want...inluding any members here just as you all are so eager to do with me. My opinion here is, I have more of a say in products SS has put out than most of you....because I've owned them. Where as the rest of you badgering me can only TALK about buying high ticket items. I could buy 30 of these at $1500 without blinking. And really, thats who SS should be listening to...the people willing to put the cash on the table. Not the window shoppers, not the bunch of cheap skates we have on here complaining about a piece they cant even afford on flex pay. You dont like my opinion, then leave or join "The Josh" and place me on ignore along with everyone else that says something negative about SS. If you cant afford the piece to begin with then dont complain about the price.

What Im getting at here is, even though I dont collect SS pieces anymore I can post whatever opinion I have of them. Just like you can post your opinion of pieces you cant afford. Were even...

Chris

Dont collect SS anymore and I sold all my SS pieces. My other hobbies however are much more costly than collecting statues. I would post pictures but they have no place here and would have nothing to do with this thread.

Chris

You got some balls on you there bud to even CLAIM im purposely making fraudulent claims on my CC to collect SS products. I make 150 grand a year....as opposed to your 20k a year salary. What need do I have to file claims on cheap $300-$500 pieces?....to make my standard of living better?

Read my post again you delinquent. With the amount I was purchasing from SS per month, you think my CC company wouldnt tell me where to go after my 20th+ claim. Theirs nothing more to the story, its cut and dry and I have the paperwork proving it all. However since you seem to know your way around filing fraudulent claims with credit card companies so well....I wouldnt be surprised thats how your able to collect anything at all. But what do you expect on a Mcdonalds salary...

Chris

Chris

No....you cant :lol

I usually wouldnt break out the money card. But in this case since everyone is ______!ng about the price and how I would have no say....then it had to be said.
Anywayyyyy, I'll leave it at that. The rest of you guys have yours coming, and when the whining and complaining starts coming from you guys I'll be laughing in the background.

Chris

Seriously...I'm laughing REALLY hard in the background. :rotfl

Last edited:
How is Atheris in the wrong?, he thinks SSC make ____ products and he is right by his experience with them and seeing others experience it just, he is not going to be sucked into this CS fan club SS has got going for them that gets far more calls then it should which isn't good at all.

He got ____ed by Fred Barton and didn't sugar coat ____..so, why are we fighting with him for?..dude is straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back