Building your MARINES - CORRECTLY

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaulFan said:
Is it easy to switch Hicks' knife from one side to the other?

Did it last nite but it wasn't THAT easy. The top inner knife casing loop is loop-locked under another to hold it to the strap. I unclipped the strap, cut top loop, then retaped to fit onto the other strap. I may replace it with an EVA but for now it is on the correct side.

DSC05595.jpg

Post futzed. Ready for final gearup:

DSC05596.jpg

Other Notes: The Marine helmet mic arms are silver as you can see from a few grabs, use a silver sharpie...

Last edited:
Heres a coulpe of simple mods I made to my Hudson and will do the same to my Hicks.

The lobster plates really bugged the hel out of me when iI first picked up the helmet. They seem to hang awkwardly and not flush against the back of the Marines helmets so I removed mine and re-attached them to look right (see comparison pic)

Its difficult to explain the method but once you remove them and have a play, its easy to figure out. I just used ordinary super glue to re-attach the webbing to the inside of the helmet.

Another dead simple mod is adding some black material between the connecting parts of the leg greaves. A black vinyl type material can clealry be seen on Hicks leg armor as he is gearing up aboard the Sulaco. You dont even have to glue it on since the pressure of the armor against the boot will hold it in place.

There is plenty of room around Hudsons boots but it will be tougher to do on Hicks since the leg armor are a much tighter fit, still doable though.

MaulFan said:
Pjam, which head are you using for your Hicks, stoner or HT Hudson repaint?

Stoner... duuuude.

Mine was repainted by Mr Walker. Josh does an asskick job too. :D

pjam said:
Stoner... duuuude.

Mine was repainted by Mr Walker. Josh does an asskick job too. :D

Thanks for the info. I'm actually going to paint my own and see what kind of sucess I can have with it and if I come up short I'll enlist one of the pros.

Will anyone post the names/manufacturer of the paints used to repaint the faces? (It's not classified, is it??)

ONEYE said:
Will anyone post the names/manufacturer of the paints used to repaint the faces? (It's not classified, is it??)

I've asked the experts and been told Testors Model Master Acrylics.

MaulFan said:
I've asked the experts and been told Testors Model Master Acrylics.
I was kind of looking for more specific info. I've checked out the Testors site and found a long list of colors that can be used. I am hoping that someone will step up and say which colors work with which figures.

Model Master - Sunburn
<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Ghoul Flesh </td></tr></tbody></table> <table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Orc Flesh</td></tr></tbody></table>Model Master - Centaur Flesh
Model Master - Light Flesh
<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Bone</td></tr></tbody></table> <table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Skin Tone Tint Base - Light</td></tr></tbody></table> <table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Skin Tone Tint Base - Dark</td></tr></tbody></table>Model Master - Skin Tone Warm Tint
<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Skin Tone Shadow</td></tr></tbody></table>Model Master - Tan
Model Master - Dark Tan

ONEYE said:
I was kind of looking for more specific info. I've checked out the Testors site and found a long list of colors that can be used. I am hoping that someone will step up and say which colors work with which figures.

Model Master - Sunburn
<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Ghoul Flesh </td></tr></tbody></table> <table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Orc Flesh</td></tr></tbody></table>Model Master - Centaur Flesh
<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Bone</td></tr></tbody></table> <table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Skin Tone Tint Base - Light</td></tr></tbody></table> <table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Skin Tone Tint Base - Dark</td></tr></tbody></table>Model Master - Skin Tone Warm Tint
<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="5">Model Master - Skin Tone Shadow</td></tr></tbody></table>Model Master - Tan
Model Master - Dark Tan

You might want to try PMing those guys I listed for exact formulas, or post a new thread for this very question as your query might be getting lost here. I'm not sure they check in here too much as they all have completed Marines.

Wor-Gar said:
You might want to try PMing those guys I listed for exact formulas, or post a new thread for this very question as your query might be getting lost here. I'm not sure they check in here too much as they all have completed Marines.

I also need the names/brands of the paint to use for their armor.

:confused:

I must be confused. I thought the info would be pasted in this thread, to share the info.

I'll just do a search on my own.

ONEYE said:
I also need the names/brands of the paint to use for their armor.

:confused:

I must be confused. I thought the info would be pasted in this thread, to share the info.

I'll just do a search on my own.

Dude, don't get all pissy.

I'm sorry your question hasn't been answered in a timely enough fashion. We're trying to help best we can -- but I must say I'm a little put off by your terse reponses. Repainting is a serious art and this thread really is just concerned with "building" your marines correctly -- you know, buying the right parts to make them accurate.

I didn't intend this thread to be a painting lesson for you.

Wor-Gar said:
Dude, don't get all pissy.

I'm sorry your question hasn't been answered in a timely enough fashion. We're trying to help best we can -- but I must say I'm a little put off by your terse reponses. Repainting is a serious art and this thread really is just concerned with "building" your marines correctly -- you know, buying the right parts to make them accurate.

I didn't intend this thread to be a painting lesson for you.

And as someone who will soon be constructing his first marine, I thank you for starting this Wor-Gar, it's a nice way to consolidate the efforts that spread over MANY pages in the super thread, but deffinately helpful to have, especially as intricate as these figures seem to be regarding construction.

ONEYE said:

Model Master - Sunburn
Model Master - Dark Tan

Hey bro... no, it's not classified info... :rolleyes:

I use Model Master Acryl Skin tone warm, and skin tone base, also use Model Master Leather. Those are the only ones available in my area and I use various mixes of those colors for all of my human skin tones. I can't say what ratio is used or what hue it becomes once I mix it, because I don't even know. I eyeball everything. So that's the best I can give you....

It's not about color alone, it's in the application and the means of application. :monkey1

well I'm not going to be any use here I'm afraid as I don't use any particular brand or any particular colours on any of my figures. I use whatever acrylic paints (usually the artists ones in squeezy metal tubes) I have to hand and I always mix my own colours each time.....

I know I know that's no use to you... but hey, I'm an artist, lol. It's how I do things

Darren Carnall said:
well I'm not going to be any use here I'm afraid as I don't use any particular brand or any particular colours on any of my figures. I use whatever acrylic paints (usually the artists ones in squeezy metal tubes) I have to hand and I always mix my own colours each time.....

I know I know that's no use to you... but hey, I'm an artist, lol. It's how I do things

:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

Art is in the mind, not the brush! :lecture

Im not a painter or an artist (well martial artist, does that count? :D) but I think it's pretty apparant that painting a figure isn't as easy as painting numbers. One color probably doesnt mean flesh tone, or hair, or eyes. You'll just have to mix and blend and find what works for the look you want.

nash said:
Im not a painter or an artist (well martial artist, does that count? :D) but I think it's pretty apparant that painting a figure isn't as easy as painting numbers. One color probably doesnt mean flesh tone, or hair, or eyes. You'll just have to mix and blend and find what works for the look you want.

Well said and 100% correct, You usually just look at the reference and mix until you have what you want. It's not always as easy as "1 unit part A, 2 units part B".

I've just recently got into painting figures, and it really is about just mixing up stuff to get the right shade for the project at hand, people will have varying skin tones, even within caucasion skin; for example, I made a flesh tone for my Faramir that was right for him then went and used it for my Jack Sparrow, but it was too untanned for Sparrow, so he'd require a different shade. I'm sure some have base tones they use for their mix, but the final paint is most like a mixture of shades to fit the character at hand.

I have a question for those of you who've swapped out your marines' heads, how do you go about removing the head from the figure? Hicks will be my first non-muscular body or Alien Hot Toys figure and I'm not very familiar with their body and it's construction. Thanks for any help.

Back