"Buffy: Season 8" #1 Sells out!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these the only covers for the first issue?

Jo Chen
Georges Jeanty
Georges Jeanty (Scetch)
2nd Print (March 28)

I can't wait to have mine. I ordered it from the Previews catalog, so it might take a while. I just didn't know there was a variant cover. I'm rushing to eBay to get mine before it's too late (and therefore, too expensive).

Last edited:
I just finished reading the first issue and I liked it but...

Like the first words say the world has changed and it is different. It's missing that closeness of the scoobies but I'm sure that will come in time. That and I forgot how short comics were, but overall its like methadone.

OK, I freely admit that I'm no FrankenFan, but when I first saw the alternate cover art, this is what came into my head, and I haven't been able to get it out, so I thought I'd share it here. (Please, be kind... :D)

buffy_breath_mint.jpg

RoboDad said:
...when I first saw the alternate cover art, this is what came into my head, and I haven't been able to get it out, so I thought I'd share it here. (Please, be kind... :D)
tblbrthngmn6mw7.gif

Last edited:
Finally got and read it last night - very well written! I felt like (and found myself wishing) I was watching the show again. The artwork.....I was really hoping for something a little better.

I wonder if issue 2 will be released on the original schedule or if it will be pushed back since issue 1 was pushed back.

I don't post much in these threads because I'm not really a Buffy collector but I loved the show when it was on TV. I have all seven seasons on video and often rewatch the episodes.

I'm not all that surprised the first issue sold out, as it was written by Joss and is the official continuation of the Buffy Verse. I knew the show would be back in some form after season seven finished. Maybe a new slayer TV series is just around the corner, we could really use some decent fantasy TV at the moment.

Joss start penning that Spike spin off already!!!:D

My only complaint with this first issue is that I read it really FAST! Seriously, there is some nice stuff in here, but the actual story itself is not very many pages. In all fairness, however, I haven't been reading graphic novels/comic books for many years now (although I used to be a SERIOUS comic book nerd before I got married), and so maybe this is a standard/typical length for a comic book these days... :rolleyes:

Either way, I'm really looking forward to future issues. If I could stand it, I'd wait for the compilation graphic novel, like "Fray" (although that may have only come out in a larger graphic novel format, I don't know), so I could read a bunch of "episodes" all at once, but I don't have the patience to wait that long for a "Buffy" fix! :lol

Migwit said:
My only complaint with this first issue is that I read it really FAST! Seriously, there is some nice stuff in here, but the actual story itself is not very many pages. In all fairness, however, I haven't been reading graphic novels/comic books for many years now (although I used to be a SERIOUS comic book nerd before I got married), and so maybe this is a standard/typical length for a comic book these days... :rolleyes:

Either way, I'm really looking forward to future issues. If I could stand it, I'd wait for the compilation graphic novel, like "Fray" (although that may have only come out in a larger graphic novel format, I don't know), so I could read a bunch of "episodes" all at once, but I don't have the patience to wait that long for a "Buffy" fix! :lol

Sadly it usually takes me less than ten minutes to flick through a comic book these days.

I'm sure they used to last longer when I was a kid as well, but maybe my reading has just improved.

I also miss letter pages, what the hell happened to letter pages? Only Powers has one anymore.

Very few comics have lettere pages and I think onl yMarvel really deos it. Cable Deadpool has the best letter page out there. I still havent gotten ahold of Buffy season 8 yet better do that soon./

The first issue actually ran over by two pages, as Whedon's script lost track of the page count. I'd prefer to read the entire series in one sitting, too, but like Migwit, I'm too impatient. With "Season 8" projected to run at least 25-issues, that's far too long a wait, even if the trades are released incrementally throughout the run of the series.

As quick of a read as it is, there were enough tantalizing nuggets dropped along the way to keep me interested, and, it's kind of fun to actually be able to read the characters' "thoughts" in addition to "hearing" them speak in their familiar voices.

Definitely looking forward to #2 in April; We should start a "spoiler" thread once a few issues are in circulation and there is more to critique and speculate about.

And my copy does have a letters page; two, in fact. I suspect lettercols are on the way out in due to the more immediate communication internet message boards provide. Publishers can also sell more ad space and hype more in-house projects with the additional page or two.

Here's the link to the official Buffy forum at the Dark Horse Comics site: Buffy Season 8 Message Board

Just read this week that Jeff Loeb is slated to take over the writing chores on Season 8. :confused: I thought this was going to be Joss's baby. What's up?

Like the TV series, Joss will be writing some arcs and overseeing the books, but other writers will also be contributing arcs and stand-alone issues, including Jane Espenson, Doug Fury, and Drew Goddard.

Edit: I believe Brian K. Vaughn is writing the next arc, featuring Faith.

Last edited:
FrankenBobble said:
Like the TV series, Joss will be writing some arcs and overseeing the books, but other writers will also be contributing arcs and stand-alone issues, including Jane Espenson, Doug Fury, and Drew Goddard.

Edit: I believe Brian K. Vaughn is writing the next arc, featuring Faith.

Yeah I heard about Vaughn, AWESOME. Runaways is pure perfection. Its funny too, Joss it taking over Runaways and Vaughn is contributing to Buffy!

Back