Buck Rogers (Gerard) & Wilma Deering (Gray) - Any Interest?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicroJow

Super Freak
Reaction score
Has anyone sculpted the '79 versions of Buck Rogers and Wilma Deering? If not, is anyone else interested in seeing them come to life? I'm guessing if there is enough interest, a sculptor will take notice...

- MJ

8ee_d9749cf32d.jpg

I think that would be cool, but I'm not sure how to outfit them.

They already did at least Buck in the 8" Mego style. I think they were supposed to do Wilma too, but not sure if it ever came to fruition.

Edit: Just checked, they killed that line, so no new figs.

Last edited:
If you want these done right I would go after Snyder-man. His sculptor did the prototype sculpts for the Zica Mego style Buck, Hawk and Killer Kane. Also thier female sculpts are very hard to top.

I figure (ha. "Figure.") perhaps we could use the outfits from the old 1979 Mego 12" figures. I recently won a Buck Rogers lot off eBay and the figure is part of it. The head has gone all grey so I'm not too fussed about taking the uniform off it and putting it on a new body.

mego-buckrogers1.JPG

I'll let you guys know what the costume is like and if it fits well on a True Type. Might even be able to slightly alter one for Wilma...

- MJ

Erin Grey was a hottie back in the day. Could make a nice set depending on how the sculpts come out.

Saw those mego figures and had the same idea, pretty cheap to pick up.
Am sure these will get done eventually:)

Totally had a crush on erin gray back in the day. She looked smokin in her spandex outfits. I would love to see both with a 1/6 earth fighter.

Wilma was hottest in the ep with the vorvon space vampire. And princess ardala was no slouch either.

ZICA, a mego scale company had the license to do some 8" figures but ran into financial difficulties. They only made Buck and Tigerman but did a really good job. Here's the Buck.

br.jpg

If you want these done right I would go after Snyder-man. His sculptor did the prototype sculpts for the Zica Mego style Buck, Hawk and Killer Kane. Also thier female sculpts are very hard to top.
You mean these?
BuckRogersprotoheads01.jpg

Yes, they are quite good. However, as they were meant to be resized for Mego type figures, the necks are too thin to be used on any existing 1:6 figure. Taking off the necks and drilling out the heads for the more recent type bodies is also a deterrent. It seems it will work ok for Tigerman, but the others are still thin around the neck where it meets the jawline.
I figure (ha. "Figure.") perhaps we could use the outfits from the old 1979 Mego 12" figures. I recently won a Buck Rogers lot off eBay and the figure is part of it. The head has gone all grey so I'm not too fussed about taking the uniform off it and putting it on a new body.

mego-buckrogers1.JPG

I'll let you guys know what the costume is like and if it fits well on a True Type. Might even be able to slightly alter one for Wilma...

- MJ

The Mego Buck was a "bigger" figure. That uniform would need some taking in and resewing to make it useable. You also have to make sure it hasn't yellowed as was a problem with that set.
In the past I've used the Sideshow Spinal Tap outfit:
mycustom-BuckRogers02.jpg

And this is my WIP Wilma:
MycustomBuckRogersWilma01.jpg

I apologize for the blur to the pix of the heads and Wilma, my phone doesn't take the best pix.

More info and better pix to come.

I'd be interested in a Buck... but not just a head, we'd need a good option for the outfit and accessories.

I think build-wise the TTM-19 would be a good body to use and would look good with the tight-fitting costume. Tony Meis might be a good option as he makes some great body suits for super heroes, so this kind of costume might not be much different.

I think the Wilma suit is perfect. Buck's is the same only, of course, fitted for a male body. As stated she, and Buck are both WIP's right now and I haven't attached the gold wings to the uniforms yet. I'm working on a better belt and EDD buckle but I think the old Mego blaster might be the weapon I go with. Fiddling around to see what might be best to make a durable, yet not pricey, holster. The Mego version would be best, but I'm not sure it could be redone.
I'm also planning on the Vorvon, Kaleel, Brig. Gordon, Ardala, the other Tigerman, Pantherman, Lt. Parsons (Dennis Haysbert)......

Snyder-man wont sell those exact heads as any rights belong to Zica. I offered to buy a set with the same idea as ironman1188 but they would not sell. If enough people showed interset I'm sure they would consider offering new sculpts with correct neck sizes and equal or better portraits. I know they are strongly considering redoing the Star Trek heads that were previously offered by Scifimetroplis as those were sculpted bigger for production shrinkage. Based on the poor sales of the Mego scale Buck Rogers and the cancelation of the Amok Time Battlestar Galactica 12 inch figures I doubt we will ever see nice licensed figures from these shows. I will be watching this thread as I'm interested in seeing were this goes.

Those are my heads in the photo I posted. They are the paint sample prototypes that Zica used for their Buck line.
As far as the Trek heads go, I don't know what they are doing. They posted somewhere that they had to cut some of their "lesser" clients off due to workload and the SFM was one of those clients. Zica's Buck Rogers line/license was bought out by DST, who has apparently decided to sit on everything. Bear in mind DST are the geniuses that denied SFM the Trek license and then released their own godawful 1:4 scale ...."things".
I don't see Buck Rogers being on anyone's front burners. Thats why I'm fiddling with these prototypes to see what can be done. As it stands Tigerman will probably go on an ACI Andrew. Buck may wind up on a Kaustic just not sure yet. Kane, Draconian and Hawk are being tried out on Soldier Story, TTL and even BBi. When I find the right "fit" I'll be sure to post results.
As you said, the big guys most likely are not going to be making figures from the old classics like these and BSG. And if they do they'll cost an arm and a leg the way prices are going. It will be up to us, the little guys and customizers to fill the void of wanted, yet ignored figures.

Yeah, I actually really like what I can see of your female outfit... but the material from the Spinal Tap figure (while a good cut) is just too shiny.

A white spandex over a more sculpted TT would look great IMO.

I'll have to get better photos of the Wilma uniform. I used the Spinal Tap one when I had nothing else. I still think they'll work fine for some background versions.
The TT is a nice body, but at the prices they are going for it would be hard to put more than one figure together. I think you'll like the Buck outfit once I show it.

If the outfits work and can be had relatively easily I'd be interested in Buck and Wilma headsculpts but probably nothing else, except maybe a Twiki although I never liked the character but seems somehow necessary. There's a digital sculptor, milosp, showing some fantastic TV characters using a print-to-order model. I'd like to see what he could do with Buck and Wilma.
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116968

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there interested in putting a few of these together!

Ironman, is your Wilma uniform custom made, or is it cobbled together from other sources? And what sort of body are you using for her? And (while I'm asking questions) where did the accessories come from?

And nexus, I think those sculpts are more in the 1/4 scale (if my memory serves from the Sheldon Cooper thread.)

- MJ

Back