Brotherhood Of The Wolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This movie rocked. If I remember correctly that was a lion in the armor, not a wolf. Figures from this film would be cool.

The Facts

From 1764 to 1767, the Beast was certainly the best-known Lozerien resident. Occupying Lozere for three years, he took more than 100 victims, mainly women and children.

As the attacks intensified to the point of becoming a national affair, regional authorities asked permission to tighten security and localize troops. The Royal Court was informed and military groups were organized but all actions undertaken were in vain.

In January 1765, the King offered six million pounds, adding to the already offered two million pounds from the General State of Languedoc and one million pounds from the province of Mende, to the slayer of the Beast. Quite a reward for the time.

In February 1765, faced with the intensifying situation, the King sent Denneval, famous for his slaying of wolves, to Gevaudan. Denneval was ineffective. Antoine de Beauterre, the King's Battle Lieutenant, replaced Denneval. All the tracking and fighting brought absolutely no results - the Beast was still a mystery.

In September 1765, Antoine de Beauterre captured a large wolf. The attacks stopped and the countryside breathed a sigh of relief. Then, in 1766, the killings began again. On June 18, 1767, Jean Chastel, during a search organized by the Marquis d'Apcher, finally caught the Beast.

The Legend of Gevaudan is born.

The Theories

What was the beast that terrorized the northern regions of Lozere between Aubrac and Margeride? If church records are to be believed about the Beast's identity as well as the date of the killings, it would more closely resemble a mysterious, supernatural force.

However, witness' accounts are subject to interpretation. How do you differentiate between what someone saw (often a child) versus what a person thinks he saw? Why, in this land inhabited by wolves and their frequent attacks, are these three particular years attributed to a legendary beast? Without a doubt, this is because it garnered great publicity by Abbot Pourcher. Outside of that, the sheer number of victims was shocking.

What about accounts of the Beast disrobing or speaking into the ear if its victims? Isn't there something here that could be perversely profitable while feeding the myth of demons and werewolves?

In any case, after the last wolf disappeared if you happen to be taking a stroll in Gevaudan, perhaps you will hear the piercing howl of a wolf...just remember the Beast.

Probably a snowball's chance in hell of us seeing any PFs from this film.

... but I would love a Manny PF w/ warpaint and tomahawk.

OMG I worked on that creature whilst I was working at the Jim Henson creature workshop years back! I was one of the two people responsible for painting it.

Lord it was big, and If I remember correctly there was supposed to be a Lion inside this 'rubber band' shell that covered it.

brotherhoodwolveswy1.jpg

Most of the physical effects where replaced by the CGI in the end. I was invited to the crew screening, but couldn't go, so I never did see how it all turned out in the end.

From Wikkipedia:
Fronsac attempts to heal Marianne with a potion carried by Mani. He and the marquis Thomas go to the Beast's lair, where it lies grievously wounded after the fight in the forest. It turns out the Beast was an offspring of a "strange beast" that Jean-François brought back from Africa (which director Christophe Gans insists is a lion[4]). It was tortured into becoming vicious, trained to attack humans, and dressed in metal armor along with metal implants in its jaw to make it more formidable and frightening. Fronsac performs a mercy killing on the Beast.

Loved the film, in fact I really wish Gans had done both a Prequel (set in America) and a Sequel (off to Africa) for it. Anything from it would be welcome. And of course Monica!

The Beast was awesome and for that matter, so was the "Fake" that Fronsac fabricated in the film.

Back