Breaking Watchmen News...Not Good!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt the release date will be altered.

But it is a mess...

A lot will depend on what happens at the hearing on January 20th. The judge could very well say that FOX should be a shared distributor and force them both to come to an agreement (or even come up with the terms himself) but also throw out their request to block/delay the MARCH 9th release date.

I still doubt it will come to a delay, but we'll see.

.... seriously ..... how does this even happen? ... surely some fine print readers' heads rolled for not resolving this before a dime was spent in production to begin with ... :monkey1

Ultimately, it looks like Lawrence Gordon was the first to drop the ball and really screw the pooch. He didn't file the necessary paperwork with Fox when it went into turnaround and he took it to Paramount, then WB. That man should become a pariah in Hollywood.

His turnaround agreement is very obtuse - and he allowed Warner Bros. to use a chain of title that was drawn up by Paramount (based on the one done by Universal) didn't include the turnaround from Fox.

I get the impression that WB is going to just roll forward with the release date unless they get a court order forbidding it. Even if things don't go their way on Jan. 20th, they can appeal. Since Fox is already suing, if they release it in March it won't make a huge difference - they either win and owe Fox nothing, or lose and owe Fox a percentage. When it's released won't change that.

I get the impression that WB is going to just roll forward with the release date unless they get a court order forbidding it. Even if things don't go their way on Jan. 20th, they can appeal. Since Fox is already suing, if they release it in March it won't make a huge difference - they either win and owe Fox nothing, or lose and owe Fox a percentage. When it's released won't change that.

That's pretty much how I think it will go down as well. Only a stunner of an announcement by the judge on 1/20 will prevent the film from actually being released on 3/9.

That's pretty much how I think it will go down as well. Only a stunner of an announcement by the judge on 1/20 will prevent the film from actually being released on 3/9.

Agreed. It's an interesting legal struggle I suppose, but ultimately won't affect the Watchmen fans.

Unless the film gets delayed, or canned....

The first of those is doubtful. The second absolutely will not happen.

This is all just legal posturing. Happens all the time in millions of cases. The difference here is that it's Hollywood and thus brings all of the melodrama, media buzz and the usual trappings.

Unless a deal or a clear judgment is made on 1/20 the back-and-forth will likely continue for months... well past the film's release. And even if the judge also issues an order to block the 3/9 release (which I tend to doubt... there is no precedent) WB will simply file an appeal and get an injunction.

WB's biggest risk here by not making a deal with Fox is not having the release blocked or the movie snatched from them... but getting slammed with a huge punitive judgment after the film is released (which could be even bigger if it's a hit). Like EC said, that won't affect the fans. The only thing that would is a delay or WB losing all controlling interest in the film, and both of those are very, very doubtful even with all of the latest Fox legal victories.

Unless the film gets delayed, or canned....

I guess it's fun to get worked up about, but it's not going to happen.

IJ said it best. The film will be released, almost certainly on 3/6, and all the parties will get paid. It's just a question of how much for whom.

fox wants the rights to distribute the original batman tv series,i think something to do with selling the series on dvd'?..and are using watchmen to get what they want which seem fair to me.

The thing I am most worried about is the merchandise. I figure the film will be released in one form or another whoever ends up owning it, but figures and other products could end up in some sticky limbo like the Adam West Batman.

The thing I am most worried about is the merchandise. I figure the film will be released in one form or another whoever ends up owning it, but figures and other products could end up in some sticky limbo like the Adam West Batman.

Nope. You never know what Fox will try, but their claim (and what the judge has ruled, so far) is solely over distribution of the film and that's it. WATCHMEN as a property is completely owned and copyrighted by DC Comics (and, in turn, Time Warner). Merchandising is free and clear.

The only way I see the products being affected is with the slim chance that the film is delayed, licensees and retailers might want to delay the items. But, again, that's a very unlikely outcome.

Also, some retailers (like Hot Topic) have already started receiving and stocking WATCHMEN merchandise. And that will continue throughout the next 2-3 months. The first DC Direct 1:6 figure (Dr. Manhattan) is due to ship in about two weeks.

Remain calm. We will get our Watchmen collectibles and see the film.

I almost envy those who know nothing about these legal issues or the plot and can walk baggage free into the theater and be floored by the spectacle. I think ignorance is bliss in this case.

fox wants the rights to distribute the original batman tv series,i think something to do with selling the series on dvd'?..and are using watchmen to get what they want which seem fair to me.

You're sig made me LOL....even though it was pretty jarring the first time. :monkey3

This should have been sorted out before the movie was made.
Terminator 4 and The Hobbit had all legal issues sorted before production.
This might not affect Watchmen's theatrical release, but if the movie becomes a box office success it could affect the DVD. Look how long Bladerunner was just a vanilla one disc.

Nope. You never know what Fox will try, but their claim (and what the judge has ruled, so far) is solely over distribution of the film and that's it. WATCHMEN as a property is completely owned and copyrighted by DC Comics (and, in turn, Time Warner). Merchandising is free and clear.

The only way I see the products being affected is with the slim chance that the film is delayed, licensees and retailers might want to delay the items. But, again, that's a very unlikely outcome.

Also, some retailers (like Hot Topic) have already started receiving and stocking WATCHMEN merchandise. And that will continue throughout the next 2-3 months. The first DC Direct 1:6 figure (Dr. Manhattan) is due to ship in about two weeks.

Then what is the problem with the Adam West Batman show? If WB/DC owns the characters, etc why can't they release products from that?

Then what is the problem with the Adam West Batman show? If WB/DC owns the characters, etc why can't they release products from that?

Completely separate deal. Because they never owned the rights to the property and merchandise. WB/DC gave up all the Batman show rights in the 60's. With WATCHMEN, they only gave rights to make a movie. All books, spin-offs, reprints, toys, etc are all copyright by DC.

The best comparison here is actually SW and INDY. While Fox and Paramount own distribution rights for the films, respectively, it's Lucasfilm that actually owns the properties, characters and merchandising rights. WATCHMEN is the same for DC.

I think that Fox would be thrilled to see the release date postponed so that Watchmen doesn't steal thunder from their Wolverine movie in the Spring. They have the inferior product and they know it.

Back