Boba Fett escapes the Sarlacc

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boba cool enough to get me spent $260 on that deluxe version ROTJ of him, and hes coming today..so excited:).. though his death was super lame in the movie.
Young Boba was pretty cool in the Clone Wars, his deep hatred for Mace Windu and how he was gathered and trained by bunch of tough-merciless bounty hunters in the galaxy... too bad his story with his gang couldn't finish. Mickey Mouse bought Lucasfilm and decided to axe the series, and replaced it with teen drama bullshjt Rebel.

nerdz.jpg

spinoff doesn't have to be a backstory...

think "man with no man" vibe...

I’ve said it in every Fett related thread here for years, may a similar movie to The Raid/Dredd (2012) and it’ll be the best Star Wars spin-off movie ever. We don’t need any stinkin’ backstory and a Fett movie is definitely the one character that doesn’t need much exposition at all.

Like Hannibal lecter- the more you know the less cool he gets. I didn't care for his stuff in the clone wars cartoon or attack of the clones.

Fett was cool for the same reasons that Vader was cool. The mystery, with a hint (just a hint) of a reason for a fearsome reputation. "NO disintegration."
But current filmmakers don't understand that. So they ruin the character with terrible backstory and prequels (and I'm including books, comics, etc.).
No one needed to see child Boba, or his father. No one needed to see child Vader. No one needed to see Yoda using his lightsaber.
Part of what made characters (back then anyway) interesting was that you could use your imagination to fill in the gaps. As soon as they make a backstory canon, they ruin the character. Same goes for Wolverine, or the Joker, etc. etc....

That's kind of a jump in logic. Backstory, when well done, provides insight into why characters act a certain way. I enjoyed seeing something from the Fett line (Jango and Boba) and their substantial impact on the saga. It was also really cool seeing the things mentioned in the OT (Jedi order, Clone Wars, Anakin vs Obi-Wan). It provided me with more of an emotional connection to the characters from seeing them at different stages of their lives. People don't just stay the same. That's why seeing Vader and Boba as children didn't bother me as much. Everyone comes from somewhere and no children are "badass." If anything, seeing them as children makes them more believable. How do these people become the adults we know from the OT?

It's part of the reason I only buy figures of characters with a lot of character development. I need some type of connection to the character to enjoy having them. But if you want to spend nearly $300 for a character with around 4 lines of dialogue and some cool poses, then be my guest.

It's almost a disservice to the characters and the saga to not tell more stories about them. Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised by how Disney has handled the new canon. Every movie, show, book, and game is working in concert with one another to tell a cohesive and consistent story. It provides layers to the movies and makes the galaxy feel real. I would be pissed as a Star Wars fan if all we had in the 34 years following ROTJ were some old PC games and Timothy Zahn novels.. I'll never understand some Star Wars fans.

Fett was cool for the same reasons that Vader was cool. The mystery, with a hint (just a hint) of a reason for a fearsome reputation. "NO disintegration."
But current filmmakers don't understand that. So they ruin the character with terrible backstory and prequels (and I'm including books, comics, etc.).
No one needed to see child Boba, or his father. No one needed to see child Vader. No one needed to see Yoda using his lightsaber.
Part of what made characters (back then anyway) interesting was that you could use your imagination to fill in the gaps. As soon as they make a backstory canon, they ruin the character. Same goes for Wolverine, or the Joker, etc. etc....

Your Avatar is well suited for this comment.

If "No one" was refering to your personal point of view :huh.. and Vader wasnt exactly cool like the "cool" way of Boba.

If "No one" was refering to your personal point of view :huh.. and Vader wasnt exactly cool like the "cool" way of Boba.

Very true... I shouldn't have said "no one", as I'm not speaking for everyone. Sorry about that hyperbole.
But yes, Vader was far more popular than Boba, who was immensely popular himself...

That's kind of a jump in logic. Backstory, when well done, provides insight into why characters act a certain way. I enjoyed seeing something from the Fett line (Jango and Boba) and their substantial impact on the saga. It was also really cool seeing the things mentioned in the OT (Jedi order, Clone Wars, Anakin vs Obi-Wan). It provided me with more of an emotional connection to the characters from seeing them at different stages of their lives. People don't just stay the same. That's why seeing Vader and Boba as children didn't bother me as much. Everyone comes from somewhere and no children are "badass." If anything, seeing them as children makes them more believable. How do these people become the adults we know from the OT?

It's part of the reason I only buy figures of characters with a lot of character development. I need some type of connection to the character to enjoy having them. But if you want to spend nearly $300 for a character with around 4 lines of dialogue and some cool poses, then be my guest.

It's almost a disservice to the characters and the saga to not tell more stories about them. Honestly, I've been pleasantly surprised by how Disney has handled the new canon. Every movie, show, book, and game is working in concert with one another to tell a cohesive and consistent story. It provides layers to the movies and makes the galaxy feel real. I would be pissed as a Star Wars fan if all we had in the 34 years following ROTJ were some old PC games and Timothy Zahn novels.. I'll never understand some Star Wars fans.

Sorry, I didn't mean to step on your enjoyment of the backstories, I was using some hyperbole there for sure.
My point (coming from mid-40's guy who was around back then) was that back then, with all the toys and merchandising, and the pop-cultural link that Star Wars created across pretty much every kid I knew or met back then, I never heard a single person question what Boba Fett or Darth Vader were like as children. Sure people wanted to see previous adventures, but that was about it. And unfortunately, the backstory created for the prequels didn't really line up with what ObiWan said in the OT (or Uncle Owen for that matter). Not to speak of him not recognizing R2 or Threepio (considering how important R2 was in the PT, and Clone Wars cartoons).
In my opinion, most backstory kills the potential of the character. And most of the time, the backstory is generally not well-done. Typically, it's a little lazy and convenient, with overuse of lip-service for the fans. But that said...
Boba became incredibly popular precisely because of the lack of backstory. At a time (early 80's) where there was no internet, minimal TV or video games, and no Star Wars books, people (kids) saw a cool-looking character, and used their imagination to make up the rest. That's why he was so popular.
Nowadays, there are so many options for entertainment, that people don't dwell on characters or story the way they used to. In my opinion, that's why a character like Phasma (who in many ways is like Boba when he appeared in ESB), with minimal lines or significance in TFA, doesn't generate the same kind of buzz.
So like you, I would never spend $200 USD on a Phasma figure.

I can only add that boba fett was described in the old star wars ESB novel as wearing armor similar to what the mandalorians wore during the clone wars, forgive me because that was in 1995 when I read it so my mind could be foggy on this detail, but when I learned they were making a prequel trilogy, I had imagined many troops dressed like boba fett or similar, fighting jedis. So I was a little underwhelmed with the AOTC version.

Sorry, I didn't mean to step on your enjoyment of the backstories, I was using some hyperbole there for sure.
My point (coming from mid-40's guy who was around back then) was that back then, with all the toys and merchandising, and the pop-cultural link that Star Wars created across pretty much every kid I knew or met back then, I never heard a single person question what Boba Fett or Darth Vader were like as children. Sure people wanted to see previous adventures, but that was about it. And unfortunately, the backstory created for the prequels didn't really line up with what ObiWan said in the OT (or Uncle Owen for that matter). Not to speak of him not recognizing R2 or Threepio (considering how important R2 was in the PT, and Clone Wars cartoons).
In my opinion, most backstory kills the potential of the character. And most of the time, the backstory is generally not well-done. Typically, it's a little lazy and convenient, with overuse of lip-service for the fans. But that said...
Boba became incredibly popular precisely because of the lack of backstory. At a time (early 80's) where there was no internet, minimal TV or video games, and no Star Wars books, people (kids) saw a cool-looking character, and used their imagination to make up the rest. That's why he was so popular.
Nowadays, there are so many options for entertainment, that people don't dwell on characters or story the way they used to. In my opinion, that's why a character like Phasma (who in many ways is like Boba when he appeared in ESB), with minimal lines or significance in TFA, doesn't generate the same kind of buzz.
So like you, I would never spend $200 USD on a Phasma figure.

No problem, I didn't mean to come off as strongly as I did. And I get your point. It was a much different time 35-40 years ago. The manner in which Star Wars told its story and the themes it was presenting was brand new for the era. Whereas if something like Star Wars came out today, then it probably wouldn't have the same impact. And I agree people probably didn't ask questions like that back then, but give fans 20-30 years to think about it, and more people would become curious. How did Anakin become Darth Vader..? Where does Boba come from..? It's not too far fetched. I agree, the whole thing about Obi-Wan not recognizing the droids is weird, but it's been discussed in YouTube videos that perhaps Obi-Wan never cared for droids and wouldn't remember, as he encountered many droids during the war.

Aside from some minor inconsistencies such as this, I think the PT, Clone Wars/Rebels Series, the new Novels, and the Marvel Comics have gone a long way to tell great stories without betraying fan expectations. I realize I did not grow up when the originals released, as I am in my mid-20s, so I came into the saga when it was entering its expansion period (Mid to late 90s). I think part of the reason older fans have such a problem with newer material is because the stories they made up with their imagination (head canon), which remained unchallenged for decades, doesn't line up with what is now part of the timeline. It's understandable, but at some point there should be some reconciliation with what Disney and the Lucasfilm Story Group is doing. The Galaxy has never had so much depth. And to me, established facts hold more weight than imaginative creations, which could change based upon one's ability to recall details of their stories.

And to your point about Phasma, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Especially after her role (or lack thereof) in TFA. But if she has a more substantial role in TLJ, and I ever get around to reading the Phasma novel (which I've heard rave reviews for), then I'll probably have a stronger connection and would consider a figure of her. Front the promotional material for TLJ she looks like she has an exciting role in the film as well.

I can only add that boba fett was described in the old star wars ESB novel as wearing armor similar to what the mandalorians wore during the clone wars, forgive me because that was in 1995 when I read it so my mind could be foggy on this detail, but when I learned they were making a prequel trilogy, I had imagined many troops dressed like boba fett or similar, fighting jedis. So I was a little underwhelmed with the AOTC version.

Agreed. Way cooler. I was also under the impression that his Armor was fought for, not just handed/inherited.

And I thought the clone wars was about IG-88 cloning himself, and a Terminator-esque rampage of IG droids destroying everything in their path bringing the jedi's golden age to an end because of how fiercely difficult they were to overcome in combat. This was something I was really excited to see.. until... well.. the prequels happened.

Agreed. Way cooler. I was also under the impression that his Armor was fought for, not just handed/inherited.

I always thought the origin in the original Marvel comics was pretty good. He and two others were the last survivors of the elite mandalorian army or something. I haven't read it in a long time.

Other than that I totally agree with snoop101.

Ya, exactly. I'm pretty sure it was even mentioned in the description of the character or action figure back then. It was specifically Mandalorian armour.

Back