Bloodshot the movie (2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The beginning of the Valiant cinematic universe.

Valiant, an independent comic book publisher with a three year old comic book universe, has plans for its own superhero cinematic universe, which it revealed in the spring. It has in place a five-movie deal with Sony Pictures that involves adaptations of two of its comic book series—”Bloodshot” and “Harbinger”—and which will culminate in a crossover movie. Moreover, thanks to a nine-figure financing deal with DMG Entertainment, a Beijing-based company, Valiant is also developing movies for two of its other series. They also have deals with other studios that have yet to be announced.

Valiant boasts one of the largest independently owned superhero universes in comics, but it is rather unknown to the general public. How is a comparatively small company with very little household recognition supposed to compete or co-exist with the Big Two?

“The answer to fighting Marvel and DC is to not fight Marvel and DC,” Dinesh Shamdasani, CEO and chief creative officer of Valiant Entertainment, told International Business Times. “We aim to tell stories that, surprisingly, aren’t superhero stories, but that have elements of the superhero genre."

Essentially, Valiant is translating what it does in print to the big screen. In the Valiant Universe, superhero spectacle comes second to character-centric storytelling, and the universe features a higher concentration of anti-heroes and morally ambiguous characters than what's in the mainstream. At first glance, Valiant's comics have all the trappings of your classic superhero stories, but once you start reading, you see that they're more idiosyncratic and offer a twist on the usual superhero formula.

Valiant Entertainment Wants To Break The Marvel, DC Comics Duopoly On Superhero Film Genre

“Bloodshot” is about a soldier who was brought back from the dead by a private security contractor and infused with nano-computers that have equipped him with enhanced strength, speed and endurance. Unlike, Captain America, he was not created as force for good; he's a killing machine created to hunt people with powers.

Bloodshot is more concerned with atoning for his crimes and taking down the organization that created him than he is with saving the world. The explosion and bullet hole filled "Bloodshot," reads less like your standard superhero comic and more like an action movie—and that's the point. This book is more inspired by and aims to be more like "Die Hard" than it is by"Iron Man" or "Captain America."

Shamdasani says that the "Bloodshot" feature film adaptation, which will be directed by David Leitch and Chad Stahelski ("John Wick") and will hit theatres in 2017, will be heavily influenced by movies like "Robocop," the Jason Bourne franchise, and "Terminator."

Hopefully its a hit so I can sell all my Valiant garbage from the 90s ha.

LOL Same. Those books were terrible. But I kind of like X-O Manowar's suit (pretty sure audiences will see him as an Iron Man ripoff, though). Apparently the former Golden Key Valiant characters can't be used by Valiant anymore--Magnus the Robot Hunter, Solar Man of the Atom, and Turok the Dinosaur Hunter. So, I doubt we'll see movies from them, and that's too bad, since they are actually much cooler looking, and have more interesting potential stories than the junk that was developed anew in the '90s.

I enjoyed the comics back in the 90s. I hope they are good well made movies.

LOL Same. Those books were terrible. But I kind of like X-O Manowar's suit (pretty sure audiences will see him as an Iron Man ripoff, though). Apparently the former Golden Key Valiant characters can't be used by Valiant anymore--Magnus the Robot Hunter, Solar Man of the Atom, and Turok the Dinosaur Hunter. So, I doubt we'll see movies from them, and that's too bad, since they are actually much cooler looking, and have more interesting potential stories than the junk that was developed anew in the '90s.

They rebooted the comics in 2012, and that's what this cinematic universe is using.

Well good luck to them. But I fear they may be putting the cart before the horse. Universal wanted to do a "cinematic universe" of monster movies, but the first one flopped, so. . .and Valiant has an added disadvantage in that no one cares about (or even knows of) these characters at all, so they've got more of an uphill climb. I hope they can pump out some quality films first and foremost.

Possible, but Image's whole shtick was that all their characters were creator owned, so Erik Larsen owns Savage Dragon, McFarlane owns Spawn, etc. Might be tricky to work out some of the profit sharing arrangements.

I want to see the Archie-verse.

Possible, but Image's whole shtick was that all their characters were creator owned, so Erik Larsen owns Savage Dragon, McFarlane owns Spawn, etc. Might be tricky to work out some of the profit sharing arrangements.

Yes, and Image wasn't really big on crossover events anyway from what I remember back in the day. I think there was "Killer Instinct" and that was pretty much it.

This will have to be incredibly impressive for me to give a ****. Valiant is at the bottom of my wish list of franchises I want to see made into movies.

Yikes, I guess people just haven't read any of Valiant's current offerings. And, truth be told, they put the glasses on most books from the Big 2.

Yes, and Image wasn't really big on crossover events anyway from what I remember back in the day. I think there was "Killer Instinct" and that was pretty much it.

Loved Killer Instinct. It would be amazing to see an Image Cinematic Universe. Cyberforce and WildCATS, Spawn, Youngblood, Savage Dragon...all the stuff I was big into as a kid.

WildCATs and Wildstorm is part of DC now. Grifter even showed up in the Flashpoint cartoon.

Never thought I'd see a Valiant movie get made. Woulda figured XO or Turok before Bloodshot though. Funny, the only Valiant comic I have left is RAI #0, and the only reason I kept it was because I liked the cover.:lol

Back