Blitzway - 1/6 Scale Ghostbusters - Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blitzway - 1/6 & 1/12 Scale Ghostbusters - Collectible Figures and ECTO-1

Plus they had the Columbia Pictures logo on their pending approval sign. Ugh. I guess I'll be ponying up the big bucks for the four boys.

The SS thing has got to be one of the strangest stories in 1/6 in a decade. :slap

You mean to tell me that a MAJOR 1/6 company spends that kind of money doing multiple headsculpts (some all the way to paint masters,) getting complex clothing patterns done up complete with tampos etc, extremely intricate hardware/accessory sculpts... and a complete 1/6 motorbike precisely matched to an as-yet unreleased movie... and then SHOWS it all at a toy show complete with massive marquee style signage, logos (including the SS one proudly displayed,) slogans and mentions of the license holder... and it's now suddenly it's just a "bootleg"?

And people just shrug and move on? This is so bizarre it's unbelievable. Surely SS were vying for the 1/6 license and didn't get it, right?

There's NO WAY a long established, respected 1/6 manufacturer that has spent the last decade cranking out dozens and dozens of high-quality figures (right up to now) would do all this as "bootleg." Why would they endanger their ongoing major 1/6 business by doing something as stupid as bootlegging a property that the license holder would be hyper-vigilant regarding (because of the reboot)?

That makes a lot of sense to me, not that they were planning on releasing bootleg items, but that they hoped to obtain the license, and were using these prototypes to help make their case. We've seen examples of this before, one noteworthy one being 3A, who wanted to do 1/12th scale Star Wars figures, and produced a few Boba Fett prototypes that were never approved by Lucasfilm/Disney/whomever.

Because such a blatant and sweeping roll-out of merchandise from this franchise would be a major snubbing of the nose at the licensor. Basically begging for a lawsuit.

Yea that sounds right. SStory prolly made those items in pursuit of the license but were beaten to the punch by BW and figured, why not. :lol

Coming to a MonkeyDepot near you!

Has no one here with FB asked them? What do SS have to say?

Man, I kinda wished they were competing to get out the figures, because the buyers are the ones who win in the end. It's frustrating when companies put out a sub par figure just because they know fans have no options, i.e Superman III.

1/6 Companies make prototypes all the time, we just don't usually get to see them. They where probably very close to securing the license, and then BW just under bid them at the last minute. It's also understandable for a 1/6 company new to licensed properties to jump the gun.
I do hope the Soldier Story Ghostbusters figures see the light of day, albeit from another 1/6 company not officially named Soldier Story. ;)

You never know, Sstory may be given the ghostbusters 2 license considering egon was the court egon. What im seeing is that BW only have the licence for the first movie.

The only thing working against that is that Dave heard this from Sony directly. So this isn't just Blitzway's word. And I'm sure Sony would have told him if they were simply working on different Ghostbusters films with Soldier Story.

Neither Blitzway or Soldier Story are listed on the exhibitors page for SDCC. I don't recall seeing either in previous years either. I wonder if Blitzway will display through someone else. I was looking forward to checking it out. Anyone (Dave?) have any knowledge of SDCC presence this year?

I have been working on the new Ghostbusters for months now (finish the DVD tomorrow and then I am out) and I know that Sony/Columbia have really been pushing merchandising on all fronts, everything from Lego, to various scaled figures, tie ins with Papa Johns and NBA, to the return of Slimer Twinkies and Ecto Cooler (we got 20 boxes of the Twinkies in the Visual Effects office from Marketing). I know that they are fanning the flames with nostalgia bringing out stuff from the original films but from everything I have seen and heard, they are really wanting the new film pushed over and above at the moment, so I thought for sure the SS stuff would be legit with them having the protos for Chris and Kate plus bike up.

I would also imagine that we would see stuff from Blitzway for the new film as well if they are the sole 1/6th license holder. I was hoping for McKinnon and Wiig personally.

That makes a lot of sense to me, not that they were planning on releasing bootleg items, but that they hoped to obtain the license, and were using these prototypes to help make their case. We've seen examples of this before, one noteworthy one being 3A, who wanted to do 1/12th scale Star Wars figures, and produced a few Boba Fett prototypes that were never approved by Lucasfilm/Disney/whomever.

Because such a blatant and sweeping roll-out of merchandise from this franchise would be a major snubbing of the nose at the licensor. Basically begging for a lawsuit.

Yea that sounds right. SStory prolly made those items in pursuit of the license but were beaten to the punch by BW and figured, why not. :lol

Coming to a MonkeyDepot near you!

Has no one here with FB asked them? What do SS have to say?

Yeah, it just seems obvious SS must have been legitimately chasing the license, but what is DDave's statement on the SS GB thread based on?:

"These are bootleg and with the official announcement of actual licensed figures from Blitzway coming I'm shutting down this thread. I encourage all collectors to only support licensed product. Ignore these - they will never see the light of day."

Is this based on official word from someone? I've been buying SS product for nearly a decade - as have many on this board. The idea that such a major company producing very high-end 1/6 (their paint apps, bodies and clothing/accessories have been a notch above SSC's all along) would do something like this requires more discussion than simply shutting down a thread.

To me, this is like Sideshow being accused of producing bootlegs. It just doesn't make any sense. BW and SS must have been competing for the license and SS lost out, and now BW legitimately wants all discussion/imagery of the failed competitor's product out of circulation so as to avoid confusion. That makes sense and is warranted.

But if that's the case, these SS GB products are NOT "bootlegs" and it's wrong to categorize them as such.

Official word from Dave the Merciful.

I thought you guys hated the SS 1/6 figures....

There's definitely something else going on here. I agree that Soldier Story is too big to just brazenly "bootleg" something like Ghostbusters. They've never even done a bootleg like that before, sure they'll put a head that kinda looks like Tom Cruise or Matt Damon or Done Cheadle on a soldier but that's it.

Granted I know nothing about how Sony/Columbia licensing works, but I'd imagine that perhaps Soldier Story was working with a foreign office, or some other regionally restricted area. The more reasonable scenario is that there is a miscommunication among Sony licensing. Akin to a 'right hand doesn't know what the left is doing' situation.

How do we even know Dave the Merciful (love that Evil) spoke with anyone one at Sony? He probably talked to someone at Sanyo and they said, "Ghostbusters? Those people are blitzed way out of their minds." Then Dave's all with Soldier Story:
1oq78z.gif

How do we even know Dave the Merciful (love that Evil) spoke with anyone one at Sony? He probably talked to someone at Sanyo and they said, "Ghostbusters? Those people are blitzed way out of their minds." Then Dave's all with Soldier Story:
1oq78z.gif
Dave works in the entertainment industry as a producer. And he's been involved in the high end collectibles industry for longer than most here. If any confusion exists, I wouldn't place it on his shoulders.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Dave works in the entertainment industry as a producer. And he's been involved in the high end collectibles industry for longer than most here. If any confusion exists, I wouldn't place it on his shoulders.

A long established, highly regarded 1/6 company (one of the top 10 in the world) has been accused of producing "bootlegs." Many of us have bought from them - and may or may not continue to do so after this.

I just think it's in everyone's best interest to have the confusion - and yes, it does exist - cleared up.

My comment was mostly made in jest, but you do have to wonder why SS went to all the trouble with what they showed. I know SS is new to most but they are established. Others have presented more reasonable answers as to why then just calling them bootleg figures.

I understand why the SS thread was closed, but it should've been left open because now we've filled this thread with SS bootleg talk. Not exactly the result Blitzway and Sony would've wanted from complaining :lol

With the effort that Blitzway put into the fight club set... it makes me really excited for this. Soldier Story would have done a good job, but Blitzway elevates the quality quite a bit. I also was really not digging the non sculpted necks that Soldier Story had going on.

Back