Blitzway 1:6 Ghostbusters - ECTO-1

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank goodness we have you to set us straight. Now that you?ve told me it looks exactly the same can surely see that it does...oh and I guess if I feel like BW changed the look to look cheaper after paying a non-refundable deposit I should just eat the loss and tell BW how awesome they are and to enjoy the money?

Then chrome looks different, it looks cheap, people have a right to voice their concern or complaints with the hopes that maybe BW will listen and improve the production pieces. I suppose though some think we should just ass kiss and thank our lucky stars?

If BW doesn?t want bad feedback they should ensure that the photos do the product justice, or at least address the concerns. Or make it so people can get full refunds if they don?t like the quality...then people could speak with their wallets. Hard to speak with your wallet when you?re on the hook for part of it already based on potentially misleading promotion.

No, it?s not about setting people straight.
I?m offering my opinion just like everyone else. Some people will take it on board and others won?t like what I have to say.
There?s so much negativity towards a few factory floor photos it?s unreal. It?s frustrating really.
I would never ask anyone to kiss anyone?s ass and thank their lucky stars no way. And I know some do.

Did you comment on BW?s Facebook page to give them feedback? I saw lots of people did.

I?m on the hook for the non refundable deposit too.
And I?ve cancelled orders in the past based on not liking the final production product. I canceled 4 in the last year.
My most recent example is the Hot Toys 1/4 scale Joker. Didn?t like it so canceled it.
I know that deposit wasn?t as much as Ecto-1 but maybe you can talk to the retailer about refund or transfer the funds to a different product.

I have the Hot Wheels Ecto. Its not chrome, its painted plastic. And there are diecast cars as you know, this isn?t diecast, it?s plastic, the same as the 1:6 Batmobile and Delorean. It would cost a fortune to make it diecast at 1:6 scale. Are you going to whinge about it being plastic now also?

And I was the one who told them the rear fins paint was inaccurate, and they have changed it. So there is every reason to believe they will listen and make other changes.

The chrome paint job looks as good as on the prototype.

Thats funny im looking at mine in the detolf and mine looks chrome plated, thats some great chrome paint if it is paint.

Last edited:
Thats funny im looking at mine in the detolf and mine looks chrome plated, thats some great chrome paint if it is paint.

There are two versions of the Hot Wheels ecto 1. There's the Elite version that came in the black box and the heritage model that came in a red box, which has less details. Maybe the heritage used paint instead.

Is the BW one diecast like Eaglemoss and Hot wheels if so its going to weigh a ton.

I am fairly sure all of the HW Elite Ecto have vac metalized chrome components, I think even the heritage ones did too, but the heritage ones were meant to be the low cost version with less detail and a cheaper paint application.

compare.jpg
Look at the lack of any real reflection or hard contrast in the "chrome" on the left. Lighting doesn't remove reflectivity, or add it. You can read the license plate in the reflection on the right, while there is a slight blur of yellow on the left pic. The chrome on the fins on the left is especially dull in comparison. Likewise the deck light has nothing in the way of chrome reflectivity on the left while the right has nice hard highlights and shadows.

I am fairly sure all of the HW Elite Ecto have vac metalized chrome components, I think even the heritage ones did too, but the heritage ones were meant to be the low cost version with less detail and a cheaper paint application.

View attachment 466911
Look at the lack of any real reflection or hard contrast in the "chrome" on the left. Lighting doesn't remove reflectivity, or add it. You can read the license plate in the reflection on the right, while there is a slight blur of yellow on the left pic. The chrome on the fins on the left is especially dull in comparison. Likewise the deck light has nothing in the way of chrome reflectivity on the left while the right has nice hard highlights and shadows.

Ahh I see is that what its called vacuum metalized, yes that sounds more like it

Yeah there was definitely more reflectivity in the proto pics. Those latest pics of the fender don't come quite that close, but are at least a lot closer to the appearance in the movie, which is the most important thing. The super bright chrome that some want just doesn't look right to me at all.

Even in its first appearance, the chrome was never that clean. And the shiny gun metal color BW is using is actually a lot closer:

IMG_20190925_124826.jpg

The HW model looks like a toy. I have the Elite, and it certainly feels plasticky to me. The Blitzway model, prototype and production, looks incredible.

Yeah there was definitely more reflectivity in the proto pics. Those latest pics of the fender don't come quite that close, but are at least a lot closer to the appearance in the movie, which is the most important thing. The super bright chrome that some want just doesn't look right to me at all.

Even in its first appearance, the chrome was never that clean. And the shiny gun metal color BW is using is actually a lot closer:

View attachment 466913

I 100% could get behind it if the entire car was dressed up to look used as per the movie, and if the chrome looked like dirty old chrome...but I do not buy for an instant that that was their intent since the prototype clearly had a low cost attempt at a good chrome look, and zero sign of "age" anywhere else. As it stands it simply looks like cheap flat silver paint over the plastic in most places with slightly more depth on the front bumper.

Looks cheap to me, and as I mentioned the average buyer probably isn't thinking about or looking at screen caps of what it actually looked like in the movie, they most likely would expect it to look pristine (as it did in the prototype photos). Plus as I said, it is FAR easier to get to an aged look for the chrome or rest of the car if someone wants that look, than it is for someone to go in the other direction. For mass appeal clean, bright, chrome is basically what everyone expects. Virtually every other high end (and most low end) versions of this car have nice chrome...the $1400 one is going to be the one to break that trend and tell people they should like dull painted looking plastic instead?

The HW model looks like a toy. I have the Elite, and it certainly feels plasticky to me. The Blitzway model, prototype and production, looks incredible.

Erm it is a toy and no its diecast not plastic and very heavy so how can it it be plasticky lol, is the BW diecast?

I get people wanting what was shown in the proto pics, but to act like the appearance of the actual car in the movie doesn't matter at all is just bizarre to me. Or that the bright chrome of previous collectibles should somehow always be the default look.

Can someone answer me I have asked lots of times, like the Eaglemoss, is the Blitzway Ecto diecast?

View attachment 466913

Correct the chrome was never that shiny in the film, but the rest of the car was pretty extremely weathered as well. The Blitzway shows no weathering at all, it's as if the vehicle just rolled off the assembly and the Ghostbusters added their modifications. Logically the bumpers and trim should match the rest of the vehicle.

Back