Blade Runner - I've Seen Things... Giclee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JOHN ALVIN RIP 1948 - 2008

Sad timing....

https://chud.com/articles/articles/13562/1/JOHN-ALVIN-1948---2008/Page1.html

a note from his family posted to the IMP Awards site:

We mourn the loss of JOHN ALVIN.

From Blade Runner to E.T. to Beauty and the Beast, John Alvin left behind a legacy of art that will forever be followed, appreciated and respected by millions.

John loved “making movie posters” because he, just to put it plainly, loved movies. Thirty-eight years and over 120 film campaigns show that his contribution to Hollywood was very integral in shaping the landscape of motion picture advertising. Along with Peak and Amsel, John is now a part of an elite group. A group that helped create the “Golden Age of Movie Posters.” An era of art that sadly will never be echoed through the halls of an institution but more through halls and cubicles of our industry.

We lost a giant in our field and there will never be one like him ever again. Ever. John leaves behind his wife ANDREA his beloved daughter FARAH and a forever indebted Padawan.

We love you John and will never forget you.

Well, I just received this additional sad bit of news:

Dear Valued Collector,

You are receiving this email because you have placed a Pre-Order with Sideshow Collectibles for the artwork of John Alvin. The Blade Runner Paper Giclee (item #3613) and Blade Runner Canvas Giclee (item #3612) fine art prints were not minted before John’s recent and sudden passing. After this sad loss, it was determined that John’s authorized signature would be printed on the artwork in place of his handwritten signature.

I really wanted this, but only because it was actually signed by John Alvin.

Thats really a bummer, for a number of reasons. Are you still keeping it on order? Wonder if Sideshow will lower the price?

I know, I know. I've always meant to, but just never got around to it. I was thinking about getting the Bluray version the other day. My brother thinks it's one of the best sci fi movies ever made.

To make you feel better I had never seen it until about 5 years ago and hadn't watched it again until I was able to see The Final Cut at the theatre in December.

You guys are making me feel old. :lol

I remember seeing this at the theater. :monkey3

I think this was the first Rated R movie I ever saw.

I saw BR in the theater back in '82. My first R rated movie was ALIEN.

So I am old.

My first movie was before the rating system was put in place... the first one I remember seeing was Disney's "That Darn Cat" (the 1965 original). :monkey4

My first R movie was Saturday Night Fever!

LOL

Lonnie- what was your first R-rated movie???

Batty... I am so sorry about the timing of this.
I really wanted you to have this item...
5.gif

My brother thinks it's one of the best sci fi movies ever made.
Uh, Yeah. He's right.

Batty... I am so sorry about the timing of this.
I really wanted you to have this item...
5.gif

Thank you. It's just sad that he passed.

The strange thing is, a couple of years ago I ordered a signed Hildebrandt Brothers Star Wars print... and a few days later Tim Hildebradt died.

Blazing Saddles was my first R movie - Alien was my second. So I guess I'm old too.

My second was Apocalypse Now (the same year as Alien) when I was 13. I begged my dad to bring me because I read in Bantha Tracks or Starlog or somewhere that Harrison Ford was in it. I had no idea what it was about before we went to see it. I think it was more horrifying to me than Alien. :lol

Back