Black8 studio petroleum man - Daniel Plainview

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just saw this got realeased wasn't sure if there's a thread.

Black8 studio petroleum man

Head sculpture *2
-Articulated body*1
-Real hand*6
-Pipe * 1
-Horse stool * 1
-Cloth * 1
-Exclusive platform*1
-Tie * 1
-Shirt * 1
-Vest * 1
-Pants * 1
-Boots * 2

220427x5lvzo7bazmglcm5.jpeg
FB_IMG_1694368102966.jpg
FB_IMG_1694368109141.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
FB_IMG_1695328092823.jpg

Hmmm... been anticipating to this release for quite a while, but it appears the neutral head almost looks too neutral for Plainview (I think it's because they didn't sculpt the eyebrows as pronounced as they should have) and the specific head just looks too specific, as in they took an unfavourably-timed screencap as a reference that doesn't represent the emotional high-point of the scene. Other third party DDL figures managed to capture the energetic magic of his performance more accurately. No hidden devlish smirk, no almost impercievable detesting snarl here.

Personally I hope another company takes a shot at Daniel Plainview, this time with his iconic hat, perhaps either the beige and brown traveling outfit, or the browns outfit with blue denim shirt and overcoat from when he was taking measurements for the pipeline route. Even the final outfit from the film would be welcome. Either way, the figure definitely would have to come with a smirking and a menacing expression headsculpt.

Here are a couple of customs that did a better job capturing the character, IMO.
Custom 1
Custom 2
Custom 3

And here something very 2007 I came across just now. Great performance by Bill Hader.

Last edited:
Just watched a video review and this turned out great. Ordered at TNS. I wonder if they’ll make a different version.

I got this figure and absolutely love it, just not sure about the proportions, any idea which body I can use to swap him with? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone do repaint jobs, i think portrait can be made better a bit with more details?

Well done, Black 8! This looks great. Really impressed by the sculpt and paint apps. I used a pin vise to drill a minuscule hole just under his stache to hold the pipe in place.

For reference, this is not their sculpt work. They just recasted existing sculpts. Mina Yu did the wild sculpt. I think it was Dai Qz that did the standard, but someone can correct me on that.

Even the "oily" paint work was done by custom artists already. Giving Black 8 any sort of credit for this is not correct.

For reference, this is not their sculpt work. They just recasted existing sculpts. Mina Yu did the wild sculpt. I think it was Dai Qz that did the standard, but someone can correct me on that.

Even the "oily" paint work was done by custom artists already. Giving Black 8 any sort of credit for this is not correct.

I wasn’t sure if they were the original sculptor or not. I like the regular sculpt. The angry sculpt is a bit caricature for me.

You can’t recast paint apps though and they did do a good job there and even the clothing is really well done.

IMG_2292.jpeg

I wasn’t sure if they were the original sculptor or not. I like the regular sculpt. The angry sculpt is a bit caricature for me.

You can’t recast paint apps though and they did do a good job there and even the clothing is really well done.

View attachment 670203

I have to believe that if someone were to buy your $35 figure stands and sold recasts of them for $10 each, you'd probably be a bit perturbed, no?

I have to believe that if someone were to buy your $35 figure stands and sold recasts of them for $10 each, you'd probably be a bit perturbed, no?

I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. I wasn’t debating recasting nor was I wanting to. I was just appreciating an affordable and well done figure in the thread created to do so.

Well back on subject incredible stand for a great 3rd party figure. Gotta say I really dig the tailoring on this.
Definitely great tailoring. I noticed an uptick in 3rd party clothing quality lately. Mars Toys 66 Joker had fantastic tailoring and so did Present Toys Doc Holliday.

Back