Black Mesa Source [A Half-Life Remake]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love HL2.

I never actually played HL. I tried to, but it crashed when you got in that elevator like 5 minutes in. Apparently this was a fairly common bug, but I couldn't get it patched at the time due to no internet connection, and eventually it passed me by.

So this is the perfect way to finally play it.

My god they did such a great job on this. The look, the sound, the feel, EVERYTHING. I would have paid for this game. I'm on 'Surface Tension' right now. 'Questionable Ethics' was really cool.

Also, it's as gory as the original. Giblets, arms, legs, torsos, skulls, and eyeballs lying around. PLUS you can pick them up. :eek: I picked up a whole Headcrab and a Houndeye and tossed them around. :lol

My gripes...

The marines are ungodly. Way too accurate and very quick to notice you. And that's on 'normal'. Be warned.

Having to jump+crouch on almost everything. The original had it sometimes, but here it is way too much. It was annoying at first, but since I figured it out, it's kinda become second nature. :eek:

If you have a PC, use Steam, and enjoy the Half-Life series you need to check this out.

I also noticed that those marines are way harder on normal difficulty compared to the original game.
Great game so far, I like it :)

I just finished this game. What a fantastic job the dev team did. It's no wonder some of the people who made this game now work for Valve. I would have paid for this game without hesitation. My understanding is that the dev team wasn't even accepting donations. 9.5/10. My only complaint is that the machine-gun in the game holds 30 rounds, when I feel it would be a much better balanced game if it held 40 rounds, especially on higher difficulties. Also, I can't fault the game for the crashes or technical glitches I encountered, because it was completely free.

There are some really excellent sequences in this game. some of my favourite moments:

Spoiler Spoiler:

yeah finally!
I downloaded the game but not the Steam 3GB file yet (grrr steam). I'm deep into GW2 so I won't be playing this for a bit.

The only 3GB file you have to download is the game itself. If you already have it downloaded then what else are you talking about?

Unfortunately, It's not the whole game. It's right up to the point before you travel to Zen. At the end of Black Mesa,
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, It's not the whole game. It's right up to the point before you travel to Zen. At the end of Black Mesa,
Spoiler Spoiler:

I assume they're still working on it, and will patch levels onto it as they're done?

I assume they're still working on it, and will patch levels onto it as they're done?

I'm not too sure how they're handling the rest of the game, whether it is to come out episodically, or if it will come out all at once (10 years from now :lol). All I know is that I can't wait, as the first half was really well done. I'll have to play it a couple more times to get my Half-Life fix while I wait for HL3.

I just finished the game, but damn it took many tries in the end. I've been running the game on high, but the lag was horrible at the end. The game ran fine up until that point :S

Back