Big Trouble in Little China remake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1NA2L9P.gif
:lol

"They Live" was ok, but that's an exception. Silly themes, silly script and silly direction - nothing could go wrong.

It would still probably be a bad idea, but if they HAVE to do another one then I'd be more interested if it focused on some of the original cast. I'd rather see Russell as Jack Burton again than The Rock doing a horrible version of Jack Burton.

There's no such thing as definitive Jack Burton, he was an OTT silly character played by Carpenter's goto actor. The whole idea behind him is that he shouldn't be there, he's not important for the plot at all, he's the walking joke with funny one-liners and only two useful skills. :)

Indeed one can't remake BTLC because it's a thing of its time.
But one can make a similar movie to satirize modern action flicks tendencies and cliches.

There's no such thing as definitive Jack Burton, he was an OTT silly character played by Carpenter's goto actor. :)

Indeed one can't remake BTLC because it's a thing of its time.
But one can make a similar movie to satirize modern action flicks tendencies and cliches.

Yeah, like another movie completely without calling it BTILC.

Unfortunately, it's 21st century - studios crave for big names and established franchises. :monkey2

Yeah I understand. But like, BTILC wasn't even a hit... I just don't know why studios think they can parlay these films that made nothing into blockbusters. Has there been a remake in the last 15 years that was hugely successful? I can't recall any.

Writers are too scared to create anything new for fear that it will flop, so they just keep repackaging preexisting stories and manipulate them into a sideways version of the original... and it flops anyway.

Robocop was okay, I didn't love or hate it... but I have no desire to ever see it again.

Has there been a remake in the last 15 years that was hugely successful?
Ocean's Eleven, Dawn of the Dead, King Kong.

Writers are too scared to create anything new for fear that it will flop, so they just keep repackaging preexisting stories and manipulate them into a sideways version of the original... and it flops anyway.
Here's a great read about writing for Hollywood:
https://makeyourbookamovie.com/screenwriter-producer-terry-rossio-extreme-interview/847/

Robocop was okay.
But it wasn't RoboCop. Except the themes and visuals it was a cluster****.

It would still probably be a bad idea, but if they HAVE to do another one then I'd be more interested if it focused on some of the original cast. I'd rather see Russell as Jack Burton again than The Rock doing a horrible version of Jack Burton.

you do bring a good point, why the flying fork did they not even try to make a sequel???
why jump straight to a remake?

Dwayne Johnson: John Carpenter will be involved in Big Trouble in Little China remake | EW.com

Honestly, reading that stuff, it seems so early; I wouldn't mind if it evolved into a sequel. You could kind of swap it around a little bit. Have The Rock play the "Jack Burton" sidekick role, while having Burton, who was the sidekick, now be in the Wang role. I feel like time has made that evolution pretty great, actually. I hate to say it, and it's reflective of how terrible everything is now, but Russell isn't the star he used to be for a lot of these younger people, and you could do worse than The Rock when it comes to getting a charismatic co-star, but there is only one Jack Burton, so, I'm kind of hoping this isn't totally wasted, but that, if Carpenter and Russell get involved, we wind up getting Big Trouble 2, instead.

Unfortunately, it's 21st century - studios crave for big names and established franchises. :monkey2

Whenever a reboot is announced of a beloved 80s classic the reaction is always 'we don't want this'. But seeing as how they keep getting made, those saying that must relent and pay to see it anyways thus facilitating more by telling Hollywood 'we'll go to see it because of its name and association to a beloved franchise'.

Back