Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine yesterday from Sidshow. Overall happy with this figure and officially onboard when Moore goes on Pre-order. Just watched Goldfinger this past weekend knowing this figure was arriving, now I might have to head back to Sideshow and order OJ too. Head sculpt/paint app is great. I had no trouble making the suit sit well with the pose I choose, it does need a few tweaks. Mainly replacing those snaps in the vest with something thinner. The light up stand is a nice touch. I also have two Big Chief Doctor Who figures on order with Sideshow and I no longer feel nervous about them showing up now that I got my first BCS release in hand.

This is my bank. The gold depository at Fort Knox, gentlemen.

Very nice, pjam :clap

Thanks, man. Can't wait to see him in that silly yellow hat. :lol BTW, my other two figures arrived late today. I DID, however, have a chance to open Bond. Tension mounted as I unwrapped his head and saw NO rub. Then scanned his suit and it was an almost perfect fit, like it was used by BCS for their promo pics, the lapels were flat, vest didn't pop out that much, shoulders were square, pant seams sharp. I got lucky, I got a great Bond, very happy with it. Now, On to inspect Odd Job

Having slept on it, I can now look at the figure without the surprise disappointment of the issues. I am not sure what can be done if the paint rubs off parts this easily, but, that said, I think that if I can get a replacement head I will very much like this figure.

I really, really love the sculpt. Some have said it is a bit cartoony, and everyone is going to have their own opinion here, but I think Connery just has a bit of a larger than life face in real life. This figure has a twinkle in the eye and for me it looks like a tiny Connery from every angle. Yes, it's very pricey. Yes, some have issues. Can't get around that. Each collector would have to take time to learn about the figure and then decide for themselves whether or not to get it. I think if you saw it in a shop and could personally inspect it before buying to make sure you were getting a good one, you could be very happy indeed. Just be super careful with the paint and don't ever try putting the hands in the pockets :p I know, I know, these shouldn't be things to worry about. But it is what it is.

Anyway, to be more fair, and to let you all know that yes, even with the issues on mine I am finding something a big magical about this figure, I'll attach a couple of other pics, nose rub and all. In some lights the rub is obvious, and in some lights it's not, but the pink in the hair seems brighter in lower light, somehow. But hopefully these pics demonstrate that even with the issues, there is magic. I have a feeling Big Chief pulled out all the stops for this figure, and then the factories added a few stops back in. This might be more a factory let down than a Big Chief let down. I really like what they were trying to do here.

I'm not glossing over the issues, and I am not saying that any potential buyer should ignore the potential issues. Everyone has to make their own informed decision here. I am just trying to express my own complicated relationship with Big Chief Goldfinger Bond :p I adore it, and I am also frustrated, and it's the adoration that increases the frustration.

All of these photos are after only the most minimal futzing, so there is room for more tweaking. I hadn't yet put the watch on here.

0411.jpg

James Bond as an action figure meeting myself as an action figure.

0431.jpg

James Bond making me smell his Goldfinger (I took this pic as a reference to some juvenile Connery impressions me and some uni friends used to do back in the day ... with added captions, NSFW and so inappropriate for here, it made for some fun nostalgia FB posts)

050.jpg

057.jpg

063.jpg

Oh, and a couple of questions ... By the time I checked for the shoe compartment, it had fallen off, and I found it on the floor. It went back on no problem. Is the figure packed with a tracker in the shoe? Should I be on my hands and knees searching for it? I had a quick glance but didn't find anything.

Any tips on opening and unloading the gun, or opening the homing tracker? I gave a few gentle attempts but didn't want to force anything. I am not sure if there is a trick to it.

A few small packaging things I thought were neat:

The box came inside the shipper in bubble wrap and with rigid plastic protectors on all corners. That's a nice extra touch for people who really want their boxes pristine.

The instructions came in a zip lock bag. Why doesn't every company do this? I always stretch out the plastic bags untaping Hot Toys' instructions. A zip lock bag seems like an obvious solution.

And look, would I buy future Bonds?

I'd wait for reviews after the figures came out. And I'd hope that a few lessons were learned here: watch that paint adhesion. Snaps on the vest make things a bit too bulky. Things like that.

But if the reviews were good, and these issues were avoided in the next line? I would absolutely consider it. If there was a Moore with a huge sixth scale Union Jack parachute, so I could go full Alan Partridge while showing it off to friends? Or Roger Moore with a quiche? Oh, how good would that be? Well, I can dream, can't I?

Connery and Moore would be my only real 'must have' Bonds, but who knows.

Any Space-Moore from Moonraker would be a reallllll big temptation. I think I'm pretty immune to the temptation of secondary characters, but a Jaws might bust through that immunity, depending on what the reviews were and what the finances were like at the time.

Inigo made a really good likeness though definitely looks a little over-sized. Also what is going on with the shoulders on that jacket? Way too narrow! I think all those who bought the Yunsil set can sigh out in relief as her outfit still looks spot on. The paint job on the head is overall nice but the eyes/iris definitely need a repaint as they look too small. Hot toys eyes look great as they are always consistent being decals and having a nice glossing technique. It's still a great price for a full figure, though with some important tweaks here and there it could have been amazing. Not sure if it's down to poor art direction not having a good eye for proportions or bad translation down the production line.

Here's a quick Photoshop. Head: slightly smaller placed higher up on the neck. Eyes: iris painted darker and slightly bigger. Eyelash shadow (Connery has thick dark eyelashes) Jacket: wider shoulders on the jacket. These are small adjustments though I think they make a huge improvement already.

goldfinger.jpg

Yeah the bond figure was a couple of tweaks away from being magnificent...but BC have been around long enough now to iron out these issues and get it right in the first place...especially scale wise..
Also with a lot of people receiving these figures with paint rubs....it's pretty ironic that an Ebay seller has these parted out and going from pics they don't seem to have any nose rubs!

Hi Matrix

Yea,that Bond that I am selling is my BC without The nose rub.
My other 2 BC villains all have nose rubs which is such a pity.

I agree the figure are so close to a home run. What is so sad
is I think even the new figures with the added protection are still
getting the nose rubs ...

I was going back through the thread and looking for futzing tips, etc.

I noticed something ...

Do most people have this little folded droop by the pockets? All three of my jacket pockets have this droopy fold next to them, like a tear duct, but I've seen photos on here that don't seem to have the same creases. Could I iron them out, do you think?

036a.jpg

Also, I saw someone mention that they were yanking out the vest snaps and replacing them with ultra thin magnets. How easy would this be to do for a non-expert, and where might I find magnets like that? The one snap at the top of his vest really bulges out the chest.

Hi Matrix

Yea,that Bond that I am selling is my BC without The nose rub.
My other 2 BC villains all have nose rubs which is such a pity.

I agree the figure are so close to a home run. What is so sad
is I think even the new figures with the added protection are still
getting the nose rubs ...

You were one of lucky ones ymba in regards to the nose rub...but i was referring to another well known uk store on Ebay that have these parted out without the nose rub issue...
And putting the protection over an already defected head is just plain laughable...echoing QMX Picard neck-staining debacle..

Here's a quick Photoshop. Head: slightly smaller placed higher up on the neck. Eyes: iris painted darker and slightly bigger. Eyelash shadow (Connery has thick dark eyelashes) Jacket: wider shoulders on the jacket. These are small adjustments though I think they make a huge improvement already.

View attachment 388121

Shows how the body and tailoring should have been bigger. As seen on a normal size yunsil suit and body head is the perfect scale.

It's very annoying how they ignore paying customer complaints on Facebook. They're still active posting products on their Facebook page too. Do they not care? Ignoring refund request too, sounds like Molecule 8.

Anyone hear about replacements ? On 1/8 I was told soon

I finally heard back today. Basically they said they haven’t figured out yet how to go about handling the replacements. I read that as code for “this is actually a wide spread problem after all and we aren’t prepared for it.” :lol

I finally heard back today. Basically they said they haven’t figured out yet how to go about handling the replacements. I read that as code for “this is actually a wide spread problem after all and we aren’t prepared for it.” :lol

How hard can it be? They have pics for replacements so they pack up a new head and send it on its way to those customers. Are the Three Stooges running this company or what?

I thought they said it wasn't that widespread of a problem? lol

I finally heard back today. Basically they said they haven’t figured out yet how to go about handling the replacements. I read that as code for “this is actually a wide spread problem after all and we aren’t prepared for it.” [emoji38]
It's not nice.Not because of I need badly another head- no-I'll send my to repaint then and it will be much better...But I hate , if company make promises , what they can't handle...

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back