Big Chief Studios James Bond Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the mass-produced Bond figures, these are the first in-hand pics that actually make me want to start collecting a Bond line.
BCS have really put out a great figure!

49671564748_7a641ac288_b.jpg

Looks like a wax museum 1/1 statue. And I mean that in a good way.

I’ve been put off on these simply because I think big chief (unintentionally albeit) but still succeeded in screwing over their direct customers and guys like me who preordered day one by prioritizing sideshow with their shipment and made me wait weeks while it was right in front of me at my comic store. I’ve said that to them directly and they’ve responded but sort of passed it off saying Pre-Order customers got a better price and the exclusive items (which is entirely true). And they had a bad sting of luck with the virus and storms in the UK, but they really have to get their **** together for next time.
They’ve mentioned that it takes less time to get to the US than the UK from China which is fair but what’s the story with retailers like QMX who takes care of their customers preorders months before sideshow? I expect this kind of treatment and I hope they realize others in the hobby do too.

I see that people are now whining about missing the coat and hat from the dr no figures. I guess it’s partly big chiefs fault for not making it clearer when the window would close but I do sort of blame those who dragged their feet on that more than big chief to be honest.

Either way they have work to do here and I hope they address it.

What the have been awesome about is response and customer service and they do deserve a shout out for that.

But honestly it’s sad because I’m kind of soured on them now and soured on these figures after they finally arrived after two hundred years... and I am not really in the mood or any hurry to look at them or even care about them because of this whole debacle.

They are probably a hair better than the first wave from what I see in the pictures though. First off they took better care packaging so there is no worry about rubs. I guess they got their new factory all sorted.

Paint jobs are not really good if I’m being honest though. Especially Moore. Having said that it’s still an improvement over the first wave so I take the progress as an awesome sign. They still have work to do and got lucky in a non suit wave. I still see a dinky skinny shoulder Connery in the dr no prototype and highly doubt they will care enough to fix it for the release making that figure a write off. I guess I’ll maybe make a yunsil suit given it will probably be two years before that line comes out anyways.

Anyways though, I feel they worked out some kinks on these figures. Which is a good thing because they really need to get some characters out people actually care about if they want the line to thrive or even survive. The dr no wave is a great start but we can’t be getting any baron samedi type characters anymore. Now I like LALD and love anything Bond. So it’s hard for me to admit that. I admire big cheif for their love of Bond. They one hundred percent do and I love the commitment even to the obscurity but even I don’t care about solitaire and baron and that says a lot.

All in all I’ll continue to support anything they do because I feel somewhat obligated being probably one of the three or four relentless champions of Bond I know in this hobby and because they really have gotten me some characters I never dreamed Id have so far like goldfinger.

If the line was really deep than sure why not Baron I guess, even still I didn’t understand why they went with that little dance number look and not the much more menacing end look where he has the brief tussle with Bond.

Also hard to believe solitaire is the only Bond girl we got, and likely the only one we will get too.

Last edited:
Well, my three are en route. Should have them in hand early next week.
I’ve sorted my shelf out already, in preparation for their display.

Well I think there was good reason for people to hesitate on ordering those Dr No figures after how the Goldfinger ones turned out. I was fully aware the hat and coat were exclusive items that would sell out fast; all I was saying, now that I'm more inclined to order, was that I was bummed to have missed out on them.

Solitaire or plastic garbage, if I was Jane Seymour I would be offended by that junk. Big Chief have always been weird by the choices they make, I wonder if their hands are tied by clauses in contracts, if I ran the show I would have replaced Solitaire with Tee Hee Johnson especially with his metal arm and how can they miss out on Dr. Kananga, that figure would probably sold double because of the Alien fans.

I thought his outfit at the end was pretty cool, and would have looked great in figure form.

Honestly after watching the movie again, I'm not quite sure what Baron Samedi was supposed to be. Just some weird voodoo guy who popped up a couple times and only seemed loosely connected to the main villain. Kananga would have been the much better choice to have as a figure I think, and was much more memorable.

gggggg.JPG

Kananga's two best outfits were that one above and his cream suit with the jazzy red shirt in the finger-snip scene with Bond. But on the shelf I feel they'd just blend in with other black or white suits.

Now maybe if they gave us an inflated Kananga then that suit would look more unique :lol

Samedi, yeah, he's a bit odd. An actor used to frighten primitive people from staying away from the poppy fields. :lol He's like Iron Man's Trevor.

And to me any other outfit would have been better than this choice. Even his snazzy black suit with polka-dot scarf. The skeleton get-up is most memorable but would look rally strange on a Bond shelf. He's just an odd character... good for gamers I guess.

Last edited:
In addition to what was released (which I'm happy BCS made) I'd like to see Kananga and Tee Hee and a white dress version of Solitarie that would pair with the version of Bond they released. With the exception of Tee Hee's metal arm, guys in suits should be easy to do. However, I'm sure that there was a reason those characters weren't selected; for example, because of the old "boring-guys-in-suits" argument (not really relevant if you're making Bond figures as there are a lot of guys in suits, including Bond) or some other reason.

Hopefully this won't be the case, but it appears that BCS is taking a one-and-done approach for each movie that's picked, which is a shame since I want the Bond girls from Goldfinger and Dr. No (P. Galore and Honey Ryder). It'd have been nice if the Dr. No set was another three pack containing Honey Ryder, but I understand if demand is limited for a nearly 60-year-old movie and female figures seem to be hard for anyone to get right.

They also said they might do a GoFundMe type platform for Bond figures. But no update since that was mentioned long ago.

I would like to see that happen, where polling result winners would go on to be made. Perhaps they could just post every Bond Girl and Villain and they could produce the ones that reach a certain number that allows for profitability.

We'd all like to think our favorites would win -- it would be interesting to see what actually does garner the votes. For example, I think Jaws would win, but I don't think Honey Ryder would. Blofeld might win but Largo certainly wouldn't... maybe not even Red Grant if you tested it in that way.

Judging by BCS numbers for their LALD line, I'd say a character would need at least 1500 votes for it to get made.

Yeah as. Much as I don?t love the figures (I appreciate they are trying though) or the choices they make they are really our last hope for bond figures. I mean I?ll complain about the choice of characters all day long but you?d never get three people in the custom world on board to make a character like solitaire for example so I do appreciate that it was done.

Wor Gar, you are right that I forgot that samedi?s outfit was also the goldeneye n64 outfit which a lot of this demographic is nostalgic for. Along with oddjob and jaws he was one of the colorful villains of Bond movies past they included. Having said that traditionally I think many people think of the skull paint for that character which also looks a lot cooler. I mean it would be possible to creat that by repainting it and getting him a feather and some cloth but I really don?t care about this character to put the effort needed into that at all.

But I agree with Davejames that to me he was never the villain of that film and I never liked him because I didn?t even understand if he was supposed to be a real guy in the movie or some plot device to sort of break the fourth wall to the audience because baron samedi is supposed to be some mythical urban legend type figure so except for the brief tussle with Bond with the snakes I always wondered if he was even actually there.

:lol Samedi is an odd one for sure. On top of that, when I was watching these movies as a kiddie, the actor was famous for his Uncola commercials... so that added a whole strange vibe to his character being in a Bond movie.

Live and Let Die is an odd (or perhaps forward thinking) Bond movie for a lot of reasons though: Blaxploitation, drugs, crazy record breaking stunt-chases... and an ex-Beatle singing the Main Title after what Bond said about the Beatles in Goldfinger.

If you think about it, Kananga being angry with Solitaire for losing her power doesn't make much because Samedi should have the same power of the Obeah that she does (moreso actually). For example, Samedi turns over the tarot death card in Kananga's office. I guess if you're going to make a movie employing elements of Voodoo mythology, you may as well spice things up by throwing in a figure from Voodoo mythology.

Back