Big Chief Studios - Dr. Who Weeping Angels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although that doesn't quite explain it, here. Because this is likely to be a unique tool, too that won't be re-used again. But, I think you could point to things like the relative lower number of different paint colors and things here, I suppose. Some sideshow statues seem to get quite complex.

What you said explains it exactly. It's a unique tool, never to be used again. It doesn't make sense to spend the money on a steel die for a limited 1000 - 2000 piece run.

pre-ordered for $150. I figured I wasn't going to find one any cheaper than that.

Wow, i could really go to town with my post here. And its tempting. But I love BCS, no matter who they choose to do sig editions with.

So I'm going to keep quiet.

The rate at which they keep adding 'tempters' to this release (Cherub, print, lowered shipping cost, now Moffat signature) I get an uneasy feeling that they are having definite issues shifting as many of these as they would have liked, or perhaps expected. I really hope they don't end up losing money on this, as I want them to do well, and I definitely want more Doctor releases in future.

That said, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if these aren't selling very well. It really does seem like one of those ideas that seems good on paper (wouldn't it be cool if we did actual 'stone' Angels in scale?), but the actual practicality of it, given that the retail price point required to achieve such a thing with the unique tool and materials needed for this release, probably should have put the kibosh on it before it ever saw sculpt. I mean, let's face it, this truly is a niche within a niche, and even amongst the hardcore Doctor Who collector fanbase, few people are likely to pay the high price that a release like this demands. Or at least in my view, anyhow.

On one hand I applaud them for trying something different and thinking outside the box, I just hope they haven't bet the farm on the profitability of it, that's all.

As for Moffat's signature, no interest whatsoever.

Interesting idea. Bravo to BCS for thinking of it to help move orders along. I too have no interest in this at all, but I can see a lot of people finding the deal a lot more appealing with the sig edition.

Interesting idea. Bravo to BCS for thinking of it to help move orders along. I too have no interest in this at all, but I can see a lot of people finding the deal a lot more appealing with the sig edition.

Thirty quid for Moffat's signature?!? Each to their own, basically. I guess if you were to have Terry Nation's signature attached to some Dalek merchandise that would be worth quite a bit. But, the Angels aren't as iconic as the Daleks.

I hate to sound anything other than positive about BCS but I think you have to remember that we first saw a photo of this in September 2012, almost two years before the pre-order, and it was certainly announced well before then (I forget when). Had it been on sale at that time, when the Angels were getting 'entertainment support' from Amy and Rory's last story, there would have been way more momentum for a preorder. It's possible BCS know something we don't and the Angels are back in Series 8, but I kind of feel they've gone from being iconic to a little tired and overused.

That said, one of these would go brilliantly with my CO figures, if I can find £150 in September, so I do want it. But the price is really high for me, given that I won't be buying it so much because I want it for its own sake as to complete a set.

I wonder if a piece of preproduction art of the angels - or a small booklet featuring such art - might help sales, Doctor Who fans love stuff like that and they love to read. Or maybe an exclusive short story featuring the angels! Hell, I'd write it for them!

So it's £180 plus another £10 postage to get a statue with a Mof man signature. If there's one dig that I don't want!! Just looked at the limited sig ed' of Amy (250) and at £130, it's still not shifting.
BCS have committed to 2000 of these angels. I can see them dumping them at £100 each inside a year.

Conversion rates are preventing me from buying. Just too damn expensive for a yank to get the 2 pack.

This is when someone in the US needs to make a deal to import a bunch of these to sell for cheaper. I just can not pay over $200 for one of these let alone getting a pair. I'd gladly pay around $150 US shipped. :(

Conversion rates are preventing me from buying. Just too damn expensive for a yank to get the 2 pack.

Yeah, it makes it rough! I want it pretty badly. Also, I'm having a tough spring financially. I'll just have to wait and see what I can manage....

The cheapest price I've found for this figure from a US retailer is $189. Anyone seen it lower?

I'm surprised, if these have distribution, these aren't more readily available.

yup. Bad news indeed & bad news for BC as well since it looks like they'll have an excess of angels in the warehouse.

I would find it sickening if BCS had any part of the licence snatched from them after all their hard work. The effort they put in to bring high-end 1:6 Who figures to market is nothing short of heroic.

Back