Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - Tenth Doctor (Series 4) David Tennant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my figure after a bit of a touch up. I didn't do a full repaint or anything, but just added a few more layers of detail to the existing paintjob (since it was already a perfect base color). I did repaint the eyes though, to make the irises a tiny bit smaller, but I'm not sure if those turned out as good as they could have...

I also switched temporarily to a white shirt until I get a better light gray-blue shirt somewhere, as the previous one was just a little too blue for my taste. And then finally I made a new burgundy tie.

View attachment 224872

View attachment 224873

View attachment 224876

And here's a comparison with a pic I took on the first day. As you can see, I also extended the neck by an extra 1/8" or so, which I think really helps:

View attachment 224875

Now I gotta see if I can fix up my original Eleven figure somehow. :)

Awesome job! How'd you manage to increase the neck length by the way? Was thinking of extending my Eleventh's neck too... His coat is too bulky that makes him look like he has no neck.

Awesome job! How'd you manage to increase the neck length by the way? Was thinking of extending my Eleventh's neck too... His coat is too bulky that makes him look like he has no neck.

Well I gave it a lot of thought, but unfortunately had to settle for just cutting the neck in half with my dremel and adding a few layers of styrene plastic in between. Which is the kind of thing I do a lot to make my figures taller or shorter, but I know is probably more than most would want to do.

And yeah, my Eleven's neck definitely needs to be extended a bit as well.

davejames, that's stellar! You've really brought out the sculpt.

IMHO the factory paint job on the skin is already excellent, but the eyes really let the figure down, they're way too glassy. A shame, as eyework is normally their factory's strong point.

As far as the neck goes, this is to do with the peg on the inside of the torso being too low down within the body, and lower than on the slim TT. That's why the neck often looks too short on their own bodies and slightly better on HT's.

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with the original 11.

davejames, that's stellar! You've really brought out the sculpt.

IMHO the factory paint job on the skin is already excellent, but the eyes really let the figure down, they're way too glassy. A shame, as eyework is normally their factory's strong point.

As far as the neck goes, this is to do with the peg on the inside of the torso being too low down within the body, and lower than on the slim TT. That's why the neck often looks too short on their own bodies and slightly better on HT's.

Really looking forward to seeing what you do with the original 11.

Thanks, appreciate it! And I can already tell the Eleven is going to be a bit trickier, given the complete lack of any skin texture to grab the paint. But thankfully the eyes already look fine so I won't have to repaint those at least.

I took a risk tonight with the coat and I think it really makes the coat look great.

20151124_000149_zpsyordes86.jpg

I'm also going to follow davejames lead and make my own tie. I found a few patterns for the doctors ties and I'm going to print the on some fabric. I've also ordered a dark blue shirt and tan shirt for different looks

Just got some pics from Mark Simpson who has done an amazing job on repainting the sculpt. IMO looks so much better! Cant wait to get it back to see it on the body etc

906020_486959188174099_6304126266976638737_o.jpg

11225397_486959191507432_3574497414179874050_o.jpg

12307317_486959184840766_3966204143433605076_o.jpg

Mine arrived this morning in Shanghai (still waiting for 12 to arrive...in Edinburgh!!).

I like it. Is it better than the original? I am not sure. I haven't put them side by side, as I decided to put this one up on display in my classroom.

I tried to get the sun glasses to sit on right, but the stick out in a way that just looks, wrong, so I displayed him without.
The lil adipose dudes are a cute touch and do set off the display a bit.

I did some test ties tonight. They are a little short and the next batch I will print a bit bigger but overall I am very happy. I realized after I made these that they are all ties worn with the brown suit and not the blue one.

20151125_233321_zpsatknzz6k.jpg

I did some test ties tonight. They are a little short and the next batch I will print a bit bigger but overall I am very happy. I realized after I made these that they are all ties worn with the brown suit and not the blue one.

20151125_233321_zpsatknzz6k.jpg

They look fantastic! I'd love a version of the tie that came with the first Ten figure where the blue lines are 'sparklier' and the red is darker.

Back