Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

Sorry to harp on this, but I double-checked the world clock before I ordered and it was just before 6pm GMT, and the pre-order had apparently already been open an hour.

So it seems the British definition of GMT is different from the rest of the world - unhelpful when you have international customers. Either that or they posted the wrong time in the newsletter ...

This is not the first time someone was unhappy with the doctor for not showing up when they hoped he would. Time travel is an inexact science at best.....

Been an educational experience!

So, anyone else planning to make a custom Little Britain Narrator with white hair and corpulent body?

He would also work for the Hornet's Nest (etc.) adventures....

Isn't the source of the confusion that London time is currently GMT +1? Therefore anyone just looking to GMT will see 6pm, where London would read 7pm?

World's most boring thread tangent right here.

Well it's keeping my attention more than the **** jokes tangents in other threads. :lol

Isn't the source of the confusion that London time is currently GMT +1? Therefore anyone just looking to GMT will see 6pm, where London would read 7pm?

Yes, but the newsletter said 6pm GMT. But there's been a suggestion that the Brits also refer to BST as GMT, or that it meant the GMT time zone, which is currently on BST.

Must..resist..urge..to..comment.

Screw it. The UK is known as the GMT time zone on maps and on most sites. I would assume most countries are currently in DST so I figured you'd know. I just assumed "6pm their time, so one hour ahead on my clock". And it worked fine. If you were unsure if they partake in DST, why didn't you people research it?

Can anyone imagine them posting a sale using a time zone OTHER than their own? I hope no one missed the sale, but it's your own fault if you were confused.

Can anyone imagine them posting a sale using a time zone OTHER than their own? I hope no one missed the sale, but it's your own fault if you were confused.

I'm in Australia and have managed countless Sideshow pre-orders at 3am or 4am my time. The pre-order opened early according to the internet world clock. The discussion here is whether there is more than one definition of GMT.

If you were unsure if they partake in DST, why didn't you people research it?

Because as mentioned earlier, GMT is constant. My time zone is always GMT +10. The southern states of Australia, which are in my time zone, use GMT +11 when they have daylight saving.

I'm in Australia and have managed countless Sideshow pre-orders at 3am or 4am my time. The pre-order opened early according to the internet world clock. The discussion here is whether there is more than one definition of GMT.

Because as mentioned earlier, GMT is constant. My time zone is always GMT +10. The southern states of Australia, which are in my time zone, use GMT +11 when they have daylight saving.

What world clock? The pre-order opened exactly on local time. GMT is +1 in the summer, just like EST is. Those of us who weren't clear looked this up the day before.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like anyone missed out.

GMT is +1 in the summer, just like EST is.

Disagree. GMT never changes, as it's the basis for every other time zone in the world. BST, on the other hand ...

From Wikipedia: "In the United Kingdom, GMT is the official time during winter; during summer British Summer Time is used."

Disagree. GMT never changes, as it's the basis for every other time zone in the world. BST, on the other hand ...

From Wikipedia: "In the United Kingdom, GMT is the official time during winter; during summer British Summer Time is used."

This is a pretty boring semantic debate. They gave their local time and the sale was at the local time they said it would be. If you were to buy something from a company in New York online at a certain moment they would never mention daylight savings time. It's assumed.

This is a pretty boring semantic debate. They gave their local time and the sale was at the local time they said it would be. If you were to buy something from a company in New York online at a certain moment they would never mention daylight savings time. It's assumed.

You're right. If the newsletter had said 6pm London time there would've been no issue, but it said 6pm GMT which was an hour later.

But yeah, this is getting tiresome. As you say, the important thing is no-one missed out. I could've gotten up three hours later! :slap

Moving on...

Great figure. I'm really glad I got a chance to land the signature edition.

Moving on...

Great figure. I'm really glad I got a chance to land the signature edition.

I'm blown away by the accessories, and honestly touched to get to own a signed copy. :dance

Unlike the 11th Doctor (who got some cool, but kind of one-off accessories) all of these are so cool I don't have a clue how I'll choose what to display him with!

Back