Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

All this stuff about GMT is comedy gold, it's like a running joke in a Simon Pegg movie.

The names for GMT and stuff don't change with BST. They meant 6PM in the timezone known as GMT. Daylight savings don't move timezones.

That is wrong. Because GMT was the world standard by which all other timezones were directly measured against (making them either plus or minus set amounts of time in relation to GMT) it is therefore a fixed time point, and can not be adjusted at all without throwing the whole system into chaos. So 1PM GMT is always 1pm GMT.

In other words, even if the local time in Greenwich was itself changed (as it does with Daylight Savings being introduced), that does not change GMT itself, it instead merely makes the area that was GMT now become GMT+1 for a certain length of time (until daylight savings ends, in this case), before it reverts back to matching the standard as was originally set there.

If GMT itself could be changed, there would be no need for the implementation of British Standard Time at all. But because it is a fixed constant, the zero point that every other time zone measures against, GMT itself can never be changed for local conditions, because if the zero point of GMT suddenly changed, then every other time zone would also have to make adjustments worldwide in order to maintain the correct correlating times. Effectively meaning that if the UK adjusted their clocks then everyone else in the world would also have to do so. Not very practical, or logical. Hence the easier option of locally switching to BST (which itself is GMT +1) for the daylight savings period, and switching back again when that adjustment is no longer needed.

The confusion over all of this is also why GMT is largely replaced now by UTC (Co-Ordinated Universal Time), which despite some jargon type technicalities, is basically the same exact thing, on the same timescale, just with a less area specific name attached.

A lot of people here are pretty time zone illiterate. :lol

Sheesh folks, is it really that hard? If this kind of minutia trips people up I really have to worry about the future of the human race. :horror

Doesn't GMT mark the middle of a drawn map? You need 12 on each end. -12 and +12, that means. If GMT would shift with DST, it'd end up being -11 and +13. DST is considered an additional factor, not the same. DST doesn't make it GMT +1 all of a sudden. Technically it would be GMT +DST. You're still in the same timezone. You'll never see a timezone map where it'll say the UK is GMT +1 during summer time. It's widely considered GMT.

Doesn't anyone know the geographical meaning of timezones? :lol

Either way, this is getting funnier by the minute so I'm just gonna stay on the sidelines now.

All this stuff about GMT is comedy gold, it's like a running joke in a Simon Pegg movie.

tumblr_inline_mphc1ethXc1qz4rgp.gif

That is wrong. Because GMT was the world standard by which all other timezones were directly measured against (making them either plus or minus set amounts of time in relation to GMT) it is therefore a fixed time point, and can not be adjusted at all without throwing the whole system into chaos. So 1PM GMT is always 1pm GMT.

In other words, even if the local time in Greenwich was itself changed (as it does with Daylight Savings being introduced), that does not change GMT itself, it instead merely makes the area that was GMT now become GMT+1 for a certain length of time (until daylight savings ends, in this case), before it reverts back to matching the standard as was originally set there.

If GMT itself could be changed, there would be no need for the implementation of British Standard Time at all. But because it is a fixed constant, the zero point that every other time zone measures against, GMT itself can never be changed for local conditions, because if the zero point of GMT suddenly changed, then every other time zone would also have to make adjustments worldwide in order to maintain the correct correlating times. Effectively meaning that if the UK adjusted their clocks then everyone else in the world would also have to do so. Not very practical, or logical. Hence the easier option of locally switching to BST (which itself is GMT +1) for the daylight savings period, and switching back again when that adjustment is no longer needed.

The confusion over all of this is also why GMT is largely replaced now by UTC (Co-Ordinated Universal Time), which despite some jargon type technicalities, is basically the same exact thing, on the same timescale, just with a less area specific name attached.

At the end of the day it's our time. We'll call it what (and when) we want! :nana:

You can call a cat an orange too, but I wouldn't want to drink what comes out after you squeeze it. :p

Why would you squeeze a cat to begin with? D:

You can call a cat an orange too, but I wouldn't want to drink what comes out after you squeeze it. :p

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I don't have "time" for this..... Oh hang on, I'm +1 GMT I got a whole hour extra on it! :slap

When I woke up I immediately worked out my 3am timezone confusion. I used the world clock to set my alarm on my phone, which woke me up at the right time - but then used GMT on my computer to go back to bed for another hour :slap :lol

Hey, at least you still got in before the buzzer sounded. And you got more sleep than I did. :lol

Sleep! Those little slices of, death. How I loathe it.
Mwah hahaha!! Nah, I didn't get sleep last night, and its head into work time, via the restaurant for a bacon n egg breakfast ! Yay, and all for Tom.

Sorry to harp on this, but I double-checked the world clock before I ordered and it was just before 6pm GMT, and the pre-order had apparently already been open an hour.

So it seems the British definition of GMT is different from the rest of the world - unhelpful when you have international customers. Either that or they posted the wrong time in the newsletter ...

Interesting that the confusion didn't affect most of us...

Been an educational experience!

So, anyone else planning to make a custom Little Britain Narrator with white hair and corpulent body?

Back