Big Chief- Doctor Who: Amy Pond figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookster

Very foolish words man!
Reaction score
In the last couple of months this figure has divided a lot of opinion. I was glad to have her in hand and find I was pleased mostly but let down in other areas. I maintain that the sculpt is good, but boy is it crying out for a better paint app... no, a MUCH better paint app, and luckily it would appear that the replacement head will answer that problem. I also found she is much better without the jacket (a bit of a shame), bu t I'll let you read my thoughts here-

Amy Pond review- https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_062613b.htm

All the usual reviews and features can be found here- https://www.mwctoys.com/

box3_zpsee421384.jpg

box2_zps748527cc.jpg

detail3_zpsfff8548d.jpg

detail6_zps9d33572f.jpg

detail7_zps94df941e.jpg

detail9_zpsa43c89c2.jpg

detail11_zps951c251c.jpg

detail16_zps07fd7c01.jpg

detail20_zpsc4b541b9.jpg

pose5_zps9aa2a500.jpg

And there are a load more pics here- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4815374551099.1073741836.1498405807&type=3

As someone who has never seen the show this seems like a fairly decent representation of the character. It's not great. The Doctor has a better sculpt.
As a collector of 1/6 figures here are some comments: That body looks terrible. Part of it could be the clothes, since they don't hide much. With the rooted hair she doesn't look that much different than some of the generic female figures on the market. The sculpted hair version vastly improves this figure.
This could be a good figure, but you would have to spend more money to improve it. Don't know how much more fans are willing to spend on top of the MSRP.

I respect your opinion, but I just don't understand how you could give this sculpt nearly four stars, even after reading that section of the review. It looks nothing like her, has probably the most lifeless expression I've seen in a long time, rooted hair needs a lot of management (hell you said this yourself as you had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it right), and the paint applications were poor. It seems too much to me like you want the company to succeed as an underdog so the review is far less critical than it would be had other companies release this figure for similar price points.

I respect your opinion, but I just don't understand how you could give this sculpt nearly four stars, even after reading that section of the review. It looks nothing like her, has probably the most lifeless expression I've seen in a long time, rooted hair needs a lot of management (hell you said this yourself as you had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it right), and the paint applications were poor. It seems too much to me like you want the company to succeed as an underdog so the review is far less critical than it would be had other companies release this figure for similar price points.

I agree 30,000,000%. CO's sculpts were all better than this and cost $20 for the figures.

You even went into a long history of how terrible sculpts for 1/6 have been years ago, but the thing is this isn't years ago and general standards in general have increased so I wasn't really sure if you were trying to defend this sculpt or not because to me it only made it worse.

I actually think reviewing this figure and putting photos of it on the net is quite cruel to Big Chief. We need to start the healing process, and we can't do that if we're still looking at this thing regularly.

I actually think reviewing this figure and putting photos of it on the net is quite cruel to Big Chief. We need to start the healing process, and we can't do that if we're still looking at this thing regularly.

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you. This figure was and is an embarrassment. Can't we concentrate on 10 and 4 and pretend Pondgate never happened?

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you. This figure was and is an embarrassment. Can't we concentrate on 10 and 4 and pretend Pondgate never happened?

Nice sounds like typical 3A, Sideshow, and Hot Toys mentality that let these companies get away with major blunders. It's important to pressure this figure so it never happens again.

Nice sounds like typical 3A, Sideshow, and Hot Toys mentality that let these companies get away with major blunders. It's important to pressure this figure so it never happens again.

Well, that's a good point too. I just think the WORST thing anyone could do to Big Chief is try to pretend this figure is good or acceptable. No one is fooled by a review giving that sculpt 3.25 stars. The readers can all see the pictures themselves. I have Kenner figures which are just as good! It's best that we all be honest and then try to move on. I look forward to Tennant and Baker, but not if they're like Amy.

Sorry but that is absolute BS.

I disagree. I look at Martha and her sculpt is FAR superior to those pics of Amy IMO. Tennant is much better than Amy.

But I don't want to get into this. I say it because I think it's obviously true, not because I want to debate it. I want to put Pondgate behind us.

Last edited:
I was looking at Amy and Martha side by side, and have to say that Martha does look better.
However, once standing in the approved display spot, I found a way to display the figure till the real head arrives!

Well, that's a good point too. I just think the WORST thing anyone could do to Big Chief is try to pretend this figure is good or acceptable. No one is fooled by a review giving that sculpt 3.25 stars. The readers can all see the pictures themselves. I have Kenner figures which are just as good! It's best that we all be honest and then try to move on. I look forward to Tennant and Baker, but not if they're like Amy.

:clap:exactly::goodpost:

Well we must also remember that we're getting a new head for her, that will make the figure more than acceptable.

I've compared my Amy figure directly against that pic, and it looks way different.
My understanding is that the original sculpt used for the rooted hair Amy was used for this head. In the processing of the rooted hair version, there were shrinkage issues that you can see when you compare them.
The rooted hair version looks like this image after its been through photoshop, where the image was squished in a bit, and stretched slightly. Plus, the head above has a more textured paint work, which the rooted hair version doses not have. It's paint work is 2 dimensional, leaving the face looking a bit like it would if you painted two eyes, and a mouth on an egg and ignored the egg.
In closing, that pic above looks like Amy. The head on the figure in front of me does not.

Well we must also remember that we're getting a new head for her, that will make the figure more than acceptable.

It won't be more than acceptable, it will be just about acceptable if it resembles the prototype. But certainly, no one is going to be claiming that it's 'hot toys quality' if it looks like the photo.

It will look like a £50 figure, which will be an improvement on the rooted hair version.

Back