BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are White Billy 14" deep Bookcases with Morebo glass doors. Ikea doesn't sell the 14" deep Billy Bookcases anymore. You can only buy the 11" depth Billy bookcases with Morliden doors.

BILLY / MORLIDEN Bookcase - white, 31 1/2x79 1/2x11 " - IKEA

wow, Ikea is just hating on us collectors these days. those looked really nice for statues but 11 inches is just not deep enough for anything 1/4th stale. i absolutely despise the new doors for bestas so i guess i'll have to settle for none.

I still want my TOMBOs back.... just need 1 more.... or 2 for symmetry

i would literally buy a $700 besta setup right now if those doors came back. it's so infuriating that they would get rid of them and screw all of us collectors over.

Hi,

I have bought five of the 23 x 75 tall Besta Frame and Glassvik doors.

I can get the Glassvik door flush with the top of Besta Frame when laying flat on the carpet.
But when I have the cabinet standing the door sag. This was due to the Besta Frame leaning a little to the side. (Adjusting the height of the feet does not help much)

If you have this set-up may I ask whether you attach the Besta to the wall? Will it help if I ask Ikea to replace the plastic CAM with metal one?

If no other option I plan to attach the cabinet to the wall and also connect the five cabinets together.
I doubt that I have studs in the wall with the right spacing for five cabinets. So I plan to attach a 2x3 stud across the wall and secure the cabinets to the stud. I will also connect the cabinets together with screws.

Hi,

I have bought five of the 23 x 75 tall Besta Frame and Glassvik doors.

I can get the Glassvik door flush with the top of Besta Frame when laying flat on the carpet.
But when I have the cabinet standing the door sag. This was due to the Besta Frame leaning a little to the side. (Adjusting the height of the feet does not help much)

If you have this set-up may I ask whether you attach the Besta to the wall? Will it help if I ask Ikea to replace the plastic CAM with metal one?

If no other option I plan to attach the cabinet to the wall and also connect the five cabinets together.
I doubt that I have studs in the wall with the right spacing for five cabinets. So I plan to attach a 2x3 stud across the wall and secure the cabinets to the stud. I will also connect the cabinets together with screws.

Never had an issue personally. The doors do need some adjustment but if they're sagging!

Screwing them all together should add stability. Attaching to the wall definitely will.

Good luck.

Never had an issue personally. The doors do need some adjustment but if they're sagging!

Screwing them all together should add stability. Attaching to the wall definitely will.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. The door was higher at the hinge side and the cabinet also lean away from the hinge side.
I believe that the weight of the door resulted in the cabinet lean away from the hinge.
I checked the interior with a 'Square' ruler and it was slightly off.
If I push the side of the cabinet towards the door hinge side until the ruler gets a perfect square the problem was fixed.
Picture below shows what I meant.
I will try get some metal CAM to test.

IMG_0073.jpg

Does anyone know how I may fix these chips on my old Vassbos?

b37139882df54a6b09fb496fa9fe99d9.jpg

14683913c40517dbe1201c9f0a0bed26.jpg

Ikea furniture is easy to chip. Since most of it is made with a foil laminate over particle board you can sand and paint. I would try something simple and buy a white paint marker that you can buy from your walmart craft isle.

If you want to find a more color match, then you could take in a door to a Lowes or home depot and they can laser scan to match the color exactly, then mix up a pint of paint for you. I would buy a FOAM brush and lightly dab the mark, let dry, dab again, dry until you build up the paint.

Thank you for your reply. The door was higher at the hinge side and the cabinet also lean away from the hinge side.
I believe that the weight of the door resulted in the cabinet lean away from the hinge.
I checked the interior with a 'Square' ruler and it was slightly off.
If I push the side of the cabinet towards the door hinge side until the ruler gets a perfect square the problem was fixed.
Picture below shows what I meant.
I will try get some metal CAM to test.

The tall Besta comes with 4 metal scew clips that are used for the placement of 2 shelves you have to buy separately. The instructions show the Besta unit swaying from left to right without the use of these locking screw mounts and the use of shelves to create stability.

When you open the shelf wrapper it comes with 4 push in metal mounts. You dont use all 4 of those. You use 2 of the metal screw in mounts from the tall besta and screw them in the holes closest to the opening of the cabinet. Take the 2 Push in shelf mounts and place those in the back of the besta. You would repeat this for the second shelf installing 2 more Screw in metal mounts.

I was having the same issue with mine when using the Sidvik doors which weigh less than Glassvik. I only purchased one of the tall Bestas and it was going to be free standing without attachment to the wall. After following the directions the structure felt a Little better, but the cabinet still moved when I pushed it to the left, or to the right. I ended up taking back the single tall Besta and just keeping the double wide bestas.

I believe most collectors of statues here using the tall besta have screwed the units together which should take care of the swaying from left to right. I know You can also take your receipt to Ikea customer service and ask them to order you replacement cams, and they will have them shipped to your home. I have done this and they shipped me plastic ones no charge. I guess you can try to see if they will order you metal cams instead of plastic ones.

The tall Besta comes with 4 metal scew clips that are used for the placement of 2 shelves you have to buy separately. The instructions show the Besta unit swaying from left to right without the use of these locking screw mounts and the use of shelves to create stability.

When you open the shelf wrapper it comes with 4 push in metal mounts. You dont use all 4 of those. You use 2 of the metal screw in mounts from the tall besta and screw them in the holes closest to the opening of the cabinet. Take the 2 Push in shelf mounts and place those in the back of the besta. You would repeat this for the second shelf installing 2 more Screw in metal mounts.

I was having the same issue with mine when using the Sidvik doors which weigh less than Glassvik. I only purchased one of the tall Bestas and it was going to be free standing without attachment to the wall. After following the directions the structure felt a Little better, but the cabinet still moved when I pushed it to the left, or to the right. I ended up taking back the single tall Besta and just keeping the double wide bestas.

I believe most collectors of statues here using the tall besta have screwed the units together which should take care of the swaying from left to right. I know You can also take your receipt to Ikea customer service and ask them to order you replacement cams, and they will have them shipped to your home. I have done this and they shipped me plastic ones no charge. I guess you can try to see if they will order you metal cams instead of plastic ones.

Thank you for your advise. I got some metal CAM from Ikea service counter. It was not the correct thickness but the correct width (I did not bring the plastic CAM with me). There do have a thicker metal CAM but I am not sure it is the same thickness. I tested with the metal CAM and although it secure the board like the plastic CAM it did not fix the leaning problem.
So I am now planning to attach it to the wall. The thinness wood I found was 1 inch and it still leave a wide gap at the back of the shelf.

So my plan now is to screw the first cabinet to the wall stud and then connect the remaining four cabinets. If any other cabinet is close to a wall stud I will screw that in as well. I have not do the measurement yet but hopefully I can get the first and last cabinets screw to the wall.
Attaching the shelf to the wall helps to get the door level as otherwise I will not be able to get the top door of all the cabinets in a straight line. Also it was safer especially for carpet floor as I found that when I open the all three doors the cabinet fall down on me...luckily I hold it fast enough.

Regarding the 'push in' shelf mount' you mentioned do you mean the metal piece that allows you to put the shelf closer to the door (and thus leaving a gap at the back)?
Regarding the 'metal screw' near the front as you mentioned..do you mean the screw that is use to connect one cabinet to another?

Went to open the Besta Planner today and found my saved projects gone. Tried to rebuild them, and it appears as though the door configuration I had is already discontinued, just since late summer? I had a TV stand with glass doors along the top half and solid doors along the bottom. Looking at my screenshots, the glass doors looked to be about 2/3 the height of a single Besta, and the solid doors looked to be about 1/3 the height. They're not quite 50/50. Am I going crazy?

Thank you for your advise. I got some metal CAM from Ikea service counter. It was not the correct thickness but the correct width (I did not bring the plastic CAM with me). There do have a thicker metal CAM but I am not sure it is the same thickness. I tested with the metal CAM and although it secure the board like the plastic CAM it did not fix the leaning problem.
So I am now planning to attach it to the wall. The thinness wood I found was 1 inch and it still leave a wide gap at the back of the shelf.

So my plan now is to screw the first cabinet to the wall stud and then connect the remaining four cabinets. If any other cabinet is close to a wall stud I will screw that in as well. I have not do the measurement yet but hopefully I can get the first and last cabinets screw to the wall.
Attaching the shelf to the wall helps to get the door level as otherwise I will not be able to get the top door of all the cabinets in a straight line. Also it was safer especially for carpet floor as I found that when I open the all three doors the cabinet fall down on me...luckily I hold it fast enough.

Regarding the 'push in' shelf mount' you mentioned do you mean the metal piece that allows you to put the shelf closer to the door (and thus leaving a gap at the back)?
Regarding the 'metal screw' near the front as you mentioned..do you mean the screw that is use to connect one cabinet to another?

OK, I understand now what you meant about the metal screw at the front. I tried that and although it make the cabinet move less to the side it did not fix the problem.

Just double checking here, but are there any glass doors for a BESTA frame that don't have that border around them?

I know doors has been a problem for bestas, has anyone thought of getting pre-cut acrylic sheets and using magnetic tape/ screws to stick them onto the besta? that way you wont have frames covering so it will be similar to the tombos?
Obviously a con will be its a hassle to open and close but how often do you do that anyway?

First time Besta builder. Ordering just one so far. Is there anything I am forgetting? Is there anything you guys would change?

1 Besta Frame
3 Glassvik Glass Doors
2 Besta Shelves
3 Besta Soft Closing/Push Open Hinges
Stubbarp Legs for Besta (Do I even really need these...???)
Cool White Dimmable LED lights from Barlighting.com

Thank you all!!!

Back