BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sindvik are very nice, same as the Vassbo but a thinner frame.
I went from Vassbo to Glassvik with no regrets.

Sounds good, I bought the 6 Glassvik that ikea had yesterday. I think when I go back I will buy one Sindvik to put next to the Glassvik for a real home comparison sitting down on my couch.

The Ikea sale price of 38.25 for Glassvik vs 21.25 for Sindvik difference of 17.00 each
Glassvik 38.25 x 22 = 841.50
Sindvik 21.25 x 22 = 467.50
Difference of 374.00

I'm really trying to justify paying 374.00 more for the cleaner look of the Glassvik frame.

Burn-GIF.gif

Can't wait to see other than you "working"... :pfft:

Yeah this thread is many years old. It seems people pop on from time to time to post pics of their builds. I personally have been collecting for years, and have 12 detolfs, plus a couple custom display cabinets I made. I want a more unified look and the Besta system can give it to me at a fairly high cost when you add it all up. When Ikea posted the 15% off sale along with 20.00 off 150 coupons I told myself this maybe the only time I would bite and move forward with Besta. Basically if you do the math right with coupons they are giving you 30% off the entire Besta line which has never been done before.

I assure you when I get all the cubes built, and doors installed, that I will start posting pics. :)

As for everyone else here that has Besta systems please post pics so we can all get ideas please :)

Don't forget to buy feet (3-5 inches tall) for your and get solid doors or drawers for the bottom portions.

I'm going to pick up some more soon and my regret from the last one I built was not doing drawers on the bottom. I need somewhere to put the ex parts. Plus it will lift the bottom cubes up a bit making them easier to view.

Anyone know how they work? The shortest cabinet frame I see is 15" while the drawer frames are roughly 10" or 7" high I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked into the Drawer frames too.
Use the 10" Drawer frame with a 15" drawer front
Use a 7" Drawer frame with a 10" drawer front.

Here is an example of how it would look with two different sized Drawer fronts.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69123843/#/S69123843

Don't forget to buy feet (3-5 inches tall) for your and get solid doors or drawers for the bottom portions.

The Legs are another thing I have not decided on. I like the idea of having the units flat on the floor to have more stability, than legs. I dont know if the legs add much more visually to give up the surface area that will be touching the floor.

As for Drawers or Doors on bottom I have not made that decision either. Visually they will "lift" my display which is good, but lose half of my lower cabinets for displaying actual figures which is not good.

Right now I'm leaning towards No legs, with Door fronts on bottom. :panic:

The Legs are another thing I have not decided on. I like the idea of having the units flat on the floor to have more stability, than legs. I dont know if the legs add much more visually to give up the surface area that will be touching the floor.

Legs add stability as Coll mentioned, especially if they're adjustable. Also, proper cabinet furniture doesn't sit with a shelf on the floor - there's always an open or closed space underneath for visual effect, so you don't damage the main body of the furniture when walking up to it or vacuuming and so nothing gets jammed between the door/drawer and the floor, like fingers, lego, socks, etc.

A few things amaze me WRT to collectibles. Collectors are willing to spend thousands on the collectible items yet many don't spend on displaying them, whether it be cabinets, shelving, lighting or what have you. Then when some do buy cabinets, they don't buy all the necessary pieces to display them properly - legs and closing up the space on the bottom are two immediate examples.

IKEA has absolutely everything they sell on display in their showroom. Make sure you walk through the showroom and look at their setups at least once per year if you shop there regularly.

I see so many Besta cabinets sitting flat on the floor with something displayed on the very bottom shelf. It's great for your pets and if they're wearing cameras you might be able to watch too. :)

As for Drawers or Doors on bottom I have not made that decision either. Visually they will "lift" my display which is good, but lose half of my lower cabinets for displaying actual figures which is not good.

There's nothing "not good" about covering up the bottom shelf. That area is not display space. It can be made to work in some circumstances, but usually it just looks bad in person with glass doors, even if it might look "fine" in some photos.

Last edited:
Legs add stability as Coll mentioned, especially if they're adjustable. Also, proper cabinet furniture doesn't sit with a shelf on the floor - there's always an open or closed space underneath for visual effect, so you don't damage the main body of the furniture when walking up to it or vacuuming and so nothing gets jammed between the door/drawer and the floor, like fingers, lego, socks, etc.

I have tile floors in the room. The Besta modules seem very stable being flat on the floor. I dont think of Ikea furniture as being "traditional" like a Standard Curio cabinet , having 4 raised legs. Leaving the Besta sit on the floor seems very modern to me, and gives my wall a "built in" cabinet look vs a cabinet that has been placed against my wall.

A few things amaze me WRT to collectibles. Collectors are willing to spend thousands on the collectible items yet many don't spend on displaying them, whether it be cabinets, shelving, lighting or what have you. Then when some do buy cabinets, they don't buy all the necessary pieces to display them properly - legs and closing up the space on the bottom are two immediate examples.

IKEA has absolutely everything they sell on display in their showroom. Make sure you walk through the showroom and look at their setups at least once per year if you shop there regularly.

I see so many Besta cabinets sitting flat on the floor with something displayed on the very bottom shelf. It's great for your pets and if they're wearing cameras you might be able to watch too. :)

I actually peruse Ikea a lot, but truthfully until you bring home a piece and place it in your home, you wont truly know if you like the look.

As for the bottom doors I do agree they add a visual lift to the whole display, I just need to decide on Doors, or Drawers, or a mix of both.

A little bit about myself, I have always created and built things myself. One example is buying a couple of ikea frosted glass /metal outdoor picnic tables that were on clearance and built this display out of them along with some Acrylic.

14549174723_eb91b55faa_c.jpg

Then taking some Detolfs and placing them horizontal on top of the upper "picnic" table.

11015889263_0041c9d66e_c.jpg

Which Resulted in creating this effect from the front.

11015762506_670c63c250_c.jpg

PS I have never told anyone how I created my Batman display until now :) I dont think you would ever know they are outdoor Picnic tables.

Anyway this Besta venture is not about the money although nice for the discount, but more so about creativity. These Besta cubes dont tell a story to show my friends on "how I did that" Or " who made that" kind of a feel. When friends and family come over they will just say " oh you got some Bestas from Ikea" :)

I do appreciate everyone's opinion, It gives me a different perspective, and this is what a community forum is for. :hi5:

Leaving the Besta sit on the floor seems very modern to me, and gives my wall a "built in" cabinet look vs a cabinet that has been placed against my wall.

You can cover the legs with a panel, just like IKEA's kitchen cabinets. Cabinets just don't have a doors scraping along the floor - it's just not good furniture design, regardless of style. :) Remember that the Besta doors are flush fit with a full overlay all around.

If you bought horizontal or single units, you can also mount them all to the wall, so you can leave the bottom ones floating above the floor.

You can cover the legs with a panel, just like IKEA's kitchen cabinets. Cabinets just don't have a doors scraping along the floor - it's just not good furniture design, regardless of style. :)

I have acknowledged your opinion. Ikea has configurations displayed without legs. It is honestly personal preference. The good thing about buying into a system is that if I want to change it up in a year I can install the legs later on.

BESTÅ TV storage combination - black-brown/Selsviken high-gloss/beige, drawer runner, soft-closing - IKEA

I think the reason why I replied to your original post with so much more info than normal is because I feel you were saying that I dont properly display my figures. Now this is the internet and a lot is taken out of context. I'm sure if I met you in person we would have a cool intelligent conversation about our hobby.

Anyways we are all in this for the fun of it, and I want a clean cohesive look, it's just not that easy when you have a plan and walk into the bowels of Ikea and everything changes :lol

That IKEA sample is on the mini feet - I don't know if they come with every Besta unit. I don't care one way or the other how anyone wants to display their collection, I'm just pointing out a fact that the doors are full overlay and flush with the outside of the cabinet - if you don't use any feet they (doors or drawers) may hit the floor. You mentioned not using any feet at all and resting the bottom of the cabinet on the floor.

That IKEA sample is on the mini feet - I don't know if they come with every Besta unit. I don't care one way or the other how anyone wants to display their collection, I'm just pointing out a fact that the doors are full overlay and flush with the outside of the cabinet - if you don't use any feet they (doors or drawers) may hit the floor. You mentioned not using any feet at all and resting the bottom of the cabinet on the floor.

Ah I was assuming you owned Besta units and have assembled them. Every Besta unit I purchased came with mini feet that are about 2" in diameter, and screw into the bottom cabinet as per the included instructions. I have installed those, they give you a small floating effect that is in the picture.

besta-tv-storage-combination__0367616_PE549579_S4.JPG

A few things amaze me WRT to collectibles. Collectors are willing to spend thousands on the collectible items yet many don't spend on displaying them

As for you not caring how people display their collections, This quote above by you is what triggered this conversation. I just felt that you were referring to me not moving forward with legs, or drawer panels. That's why I said this is all in context and it's hard to tell over text vs voice conversations. I have many very detailed custom displays throughout my home. Either way It's cool. I will be hitting up Ikea this weekend to finish my build.

I went with the mini bestas under them. It works good for books and for my work files.
2c808ff5bbf810a536bf3933be676a5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know if we can use a barrel connector to act like a quick disconnect for the LED lighting? Normally I see these connected to the power source, but was wondering if we can use it to connect to another LED light strip? It would be really handy for hooking up LED lighting together between Besta units and being able to disconnect easily if you need to move the display cabinets. Hope I'm describing things clearly... :dunno

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...rrel-connector-to-screw-terminal-adapter/856/

does anybody know what shelves are shown in this collection video on both sides of the tv? it looks like a besta but it's slightly different. looks like a great way to display tall statues because the doors are one piece top to bottom.

https://youtu.be/BVUe2jYUGpQ

thanks

does anybody know what shelves are shown in this collection video on both sides of the tv? it looks like a besta but it's slightly different. looks like a great way to display tall statues because the doors are one piece top to bottom.

https://youtu.be/BVUe2jYUGpQ

thanks

Those are White Billy 14" deep Bookcases with Morebo glass doors. Ikea doesn't sell the 14" deep Billy Bookcases anymore. You can only buy the 11" depth Billy bookcases with Morliden doors.

BILLY / MORLIDEN Bookcase - white, 31 1/2x79 1/2x11 " - IKEA

Back