BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two large Vassbo doors have been discontinued, the smallest one will be discontinued in April, only one Vassbo door remains ''for now'' according to IKEA.

I'm not holding my breath...I bought the Vassbo doors I needed while I still could.
My local IKEA hasn't had any new Vassbo supplies in months.

Ok, just wanted to be sure, since someone a few pages back said Vassbo doors/windows were discontinued as well. As long as the individual ones are still available, that's good. I plan on getting one or two more 3x1 units and I was hoping they would all match.

The two large Vassbo doors have been discontinued, the smallest one will be discontinued in April, only one Vassbo door remains ''for now'' according to IKEA.

By smallest being discontinued in April do you mean the 23 x 25 glass Vassbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 5/8x15'' will be discontineud in April.... 23 5/8x25 1/4'' will stay...for now.. so i was told.
Stocks have been low around here (Europe) so keep an eye on the stock prognosis is my advice.

I use the bigger TOMBOS and my wife picked up 8 of them today in MA for me.
I can totally see them cancelling the small ones but I thought the squarer ones would be more popular.
Anyway not taking any chances since you can't even order them online anymore.
Still need the bestas though :lol

Locking a cabinet is mostly dependent on what kind of doors it has. Then you can pick an appropriate lock.

Locking a cabinet is mostly dependent on what kind of doors it has. Then you can pick an appropriate lock.

Tombo doors, so its a little tricky with 6 separate doors.

Nope but I don't install the handles to the Tombo doors which makes them harder to open :lol

Tell me about it. Initially, I didn't have the handles because I liked the clean look. Until one of my friends let the tombo door slam shut on the wooden besta which made my heart stopped and I added the handles.

I can think of a number of custom ways of locking down Tombo doors, but I don't know of any existing lock that will readily work as-is. Earlier today I tried a bit of searching to see if anyone had previously discussed locking Tombo doors but I wasn't able to find anything. I've got two myself and they're the only thing in the office at the moment that can't be locked.

One of the ideas I had for my double besta was to have 2 flat metal/aluminum rod that runs down the center of the besta to prevent the 2 sets of three doors from being opened and have a lock at the the top of the rod to prevent it from being removed. However what I envisioned would require me to slip a long rod down the besta from the top and I clearly do not have the ceiling clearance to do that.

Last edited:
Similar idea without the ned for a lot of ceiling clearance: Use an aluminum flat instead. The single flat would run down in front of the edge of the doors. If you have doors side by side, the single flat would overlap both edges to lock down two doors at once.

Construction: You'd bend the top of the flat and the bottom of the flat 90 degrees. You would cut after the so that you only have about 1" of material after the bend. Attach a hinge to that 1" and the other side of the hinge to a 1-2" piece of flat. One end gets bolted to the cabinet, the other end gets a hole in it. You put a screw/bolt/eyelet into the cabinet at that end that will fit through the hole and itself have a hole big enough for a small lock.

Thanks for the suggestion :rock While I do have a mental picture of what you mean, I'm still too chicken to do it myself before seeing someone else do it first.

That suggestion was for the top-to-bottom full-force lock-down. Otherwise a simple aluminum L could also work to overlap just the corners of the doors, and the other leg of the L locked to the cabinet frame with a similar pin mentioned above.

Back