BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone heard that tombo doors will be discontinued? I don't know about bestas though
I Posted that the tombos are being discontinued. I went on their website a few days ago and noticed that they weren't offered so I called customer service and was told they were being discontinued. The stores near me in SoCal still have some I stock so I went the other day to pick up 8 more for a future setup. Didn't want to have a mismatched display. However it sure would be great for an extra long tombo-like door the full length of the cabinet.

Are there any examples of the silver frames of TOMBO doors being wrapped/painted black?

I painted mine black.

20140104_181349_zpse97cdf65.jpg

20140104_181308_zpsc726a872.jpg

Nice job Tatsu, prefer the black myself especially against that color cabinet. Bought 6 Tombo's to try on mine and returned them all b/c the silver looked awful.

Hey guys,

Here is the results of my experiment modifying a VARA door (normally a solid particle board door) into a full height door with a clear opening:

IMG_9550-001.JPG

I'm happy with how it turned out. It does cut off a bit of viewing space along the sides, but I had to leave a minimum of 2.5" along the vertical edge so that I could attach the hinges. If anyone is interested in how I did it, there is more info in my collection thread. I'm sure the door could be painted any colour you choose, if you don't like white.

Hey guys,

Here is the results of my experiment modifying a VARA door (normally a solid particle board door) into a full height door with a clear opening:

IMG_9550-001.JPG

I'm happy with how it turned out. It does cut off a bit of viewing space along the sides, but I had to leave a minimum of 2.5" along the vertical edge so that I could attach the hinges. If anyone is interested in how I did it, there is more info in my collection thread. I'm sure the door could be painted any colour you choose, if you don't like white.

Looka awesome bro good job will definately check out ur page to see details!!

Hey guys,

IMG_9550-001.JPG

Awesome job dude! It looks fantastic!

Leaving to IKEA in a few.
Went on Thursday, got a wall unit, to hold the TV, with 8 cells, 3 on each side and 2 above the TV.
Then, had an idea - We didn't like the birch or the white, so we got the black-brown units, but after getting them home, though why not get the units in white, and just the doors in dark.. That way, it doesn't look like hospital medicine cabinets, but the white interior will show the items inside way better.
I didn't look thru ALL the pages in this thread, but did anyone try to mix and match? We figured it will also save on having the light on all the time...

How this work out? I picked up a couple of the 75" tall Bestas today. I also like the darker wood so I went with black brown vassbo doors and white Bestas. I planned to paint the outside of the Bestas black brown and leave the inside and shelves white. Now I'm second guessing myself and thinking of exchanging them for black brown and painting just the back of the inside white.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Quick question before I head out to ikea. How many of the dioder strips go in each section of a besta?

Quick question before I head out to ikea. How many of the dioder strips go in each section of a besta?

Really depends on how much light you want thrown on the pieces inside. Myself, I don't want a ton of light, I just want the pieces to be seen and not washed out so I have one strip in each cube. Some people prefer more. Comes down to taste. I think if you're wavering, buy enough sets to do two strips in each cube. Start with one strip in there and if that's enough, you shouldn't have a hard time returning the excess strips or selling them on here.

Back