BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can somebody point me in the right direction for a glass door that would cover two best cubes vertically? I've seen them on peoples display here, but when i look up the Tombo doors they only sell them large enough to cover 1 cube.

Can somebody point me in the right direction for a glass door that would cover two best cubes vertically? I've seen them on peoples display here, but when i look up the Tombo doors they only sell them large enough to cover 1 cube.

Everyone is using TWO doors in such cases.

I should have mentioned that there used to be VASSBO doors in 2 and 3 unit heights and TOMBO 3-unit narrow, but that they're not available any more and they're extremely rare in photos here on the forum. And that you may also see some hacked/customized doors that are glass top to bottom, but I can't remember if any of those show up here in the forum.

You can see the 2-unit VASSBO in white on the first page of this thread. Your best bet to get something like that is local classifieds. Or you can of course make one if you're handy with wood - it's pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
Just have to tell you guys that i've started with my besta setup right now. Have about 4 cabinets, the things im working on right now is the lighting and the doors. I am thinking about getting glass doors specially made for my needs, hate the tombo doors because of the alu frame... And funny thing is that getting custom doors isn't even more expensive than ikea! Actually same price if you go for the same size, and if you go for bigger doors it's cheaper! Much cheaper!

Just have to tell you guys that i've started with my besta setup right now. Have about 4 cabinets, the things im working on right now is the lighting and the doors. I am thinking about getting glass doors specially made for my needs, hate the tombo doors because of the alu frame... And funny thing is that getting custom doors isn't even more expensive than ikea! Actually same price if you go for the same size, and if you go for bigger doors it's cheaper! Much cheaper!

Looking forward to see those custom doors. I like the TOMBO ones. I don't mind the alu-frame since it makes it look tight.

Shouldn't you be promoting Ikea products? :lol :wink1:

Actually same price if you go for the same size, and if you go for bigger doors it's cheaper! Much cheaper!

Here's one for you… Ask your vendor to give you a quote using 3.5mm TEMPERED glass then see what happens to the price - also ask them to make sure it has polished edges all around. That's the kind of glass used on IKEA's Tombo. If it's still under, then GREAT find and great deal. If not, that explains your price difference. Plate (standard window) glass with sharp edges is MUCH less expensive than tempered.

Last edited:
Here's one for you… Ask your vendor to give you a quote using 3.5mm TEMPERED glass then see what happens to the price - also ask them to make sure it has polished edges all around. That's the kind of glass used on IKEA's Tombo. If it's still under, then GREAT find and great deal. If not, that explains your price difference. Plate (standard window) glass with sharp edges is MUCH less expensive than tempered.

Well, correct me if im wrong, the difference between tempered and regular is what happens if it breaks. The weight is no that much of a difference(compared the ikea specs vs regular). But yeah, im going to check what big tempered glass doors will cost next week or so. The one thing he told me was that tempered is the double cost compared to regular, but if i still go with larger doors it will be cheaper than ikea tbh.
The only problem with putting the hinges on is that with tempered you have to be exactly accurate by the mm. Often special drills and etc.

Well, correct me if im wrong, the difference between tempered and regular is what happens if it breaks.

That's one of the two main benefits, safety. The other is strength - tempered glass is much stronger, which is especially important for things like shelves or where the glass might get some physical contact.

But the significant part of my question was the third major difference, though it's definitely not a benefit: COST. The tempering process is done after the glass has been cut, beveled and polished and it's one of the most significant costs in the whole production process. The lack of tempering is possibly why your pricing beats IKEA's products at the moment - IKEA only sells tempered glass.

The one thing he told me was that tempered is the double cost compared to regular

Precisely, which is why when comparing oranges, your shouldn't be looking at apples. ;)

but if i still go with larger doors it will be cheaper than ikea tbh.

Maybe, we'll see once you get the pricing. Previously most people have not been able to find good glass suppliers. I've been lucky and found a great one not too far from here, however for many things they still can't beat IKEA's prices on glass alone.

The only problem with putting the hinges on is that with tempered you have to be exactly accurate by the mm. Often special drills and etc.

You can't do anything to modify glass once it's tempered - unless you un-temper it first, but its probably cheaper just to get a new piece most times. All holes and other changes to glass shape must be done prior to the tempering process. mm precision is not necessary if you are using hardware that has adjustment potential. But big glass places can do mm precision as part of their regular process anyway because of the advanced machines they employ. Once you put a hole in a piece of glass, it doesn't matter if you temper it or not - you can't change the position of the hole. ;)

Last edited:
Well, correct me if im wrong, the difference between tempered and regular is what happens if it breaks. The weight is no that much of a difference(compared the ikea specs vs regular). But yeah, im going to check what big tempered glass doors will cost next week or so. The one thing he told me was that tempered is the double cost compared to regular, but if i still go with larger doors it will be cheaper than ikea tbh.

Do you mind if I ask.... Do you have kids?? If NOT do you intend to??Having seen the effects of my eldest having run hands first thigh a single pained window... YOU NEED TEMPERED GLASS if you are going to have children around. I have seen my kid toss a wooden ball right at a piece of tempered glass and it just bounced right off. The cost will be worth it.

Just bought a new 2x2 Besta over the weekend and installed it between by two 3x1 Bestas. Turned out awesome, I think. Planning on upgrading the TV to fit perfectly between the top shelves!

1174517_10101388233156645_269848725_n.jpg

Thanks, I also have two Klingsbo display cases on each side of those, and a Detolf on the other side of the room. Eventually going to light up those as well. Such a cool feeling to walk into that room and click a switch and have them all illuminate :) :) :) :)

Back