Best way to gloss up armor?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reefer Shark

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys - just a question for all the customizing experts here, hopefully someone can help!

I really want to upgrade my old phase 1 clone trooper and General Obi Wan armors to look like the newer "shiny" clone with that awesome tone and glossy look.

What's the best way to do it so it's dry to the touch? My experience with gloss paints in the past have left my stuff sticky and tacky to the touch, but maybe I was just using the wrong paint? Ive also seen people mention using floor wax, but does that dry and keep the glossy look?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

I use a Model Masters acrylic clear coat either in semi-gloss or gloss. Being that its acrylic I can water it down a bit for the application and it goes on smooth with no brush stokes and its not sticky when it dries. Also its pretty durable.

It's called Pledge now I think.

If you're not up on your paints Reefer, go the floor wax. Lots of folks did it to gloss up their dull stormies.

ah thanks guys! i had thought about that cause Im sure it'll be a lot easier than painting. Question though, does the floor wax dry and stay glossy? or does it stay wet?

ah thanks guys! i had thought about that cause Im sure it'll be a lot easier than painting. Question though, does the floor wax dry and stay glossy? or does it stay wet?

I haven't used it myself. Those who have reckon just brush it on, leave it alone until it dries and that's it:

A brush with the Future...

xm4wur.jpg

...also from the Stormtrooper Picture thread:

Use Gunze clearcoat gloss. It's imported from Japan and expensive (about $10+ for a small can) but used by professional modelers because it does not cause a chemical reaction with the acids in the plastics that cause yellowing. The guy at my hobby shop swears by it and has been a professional modeler for about 30 years.

haha you guys make a good point about the floor wax! and thanks for posting that pic Lejuan, that's pretty much what im hoping to achieve after painting on a few details and such to make them match the shiny clone

Back