Best Lightsaber Duel of the Saga

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Lightsaber Fight of the Saga

• TPM - Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul

Votes: 72 34.1%
  • AOTC - Obi-Wan Kenobi Anakin Skywalker & Yoda vs. Count Dooku

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • AOTC - Yoda vs. Count Dooku

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • ROTS - Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker vs. Count Dooku

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ROTS - Mace Windu vs. Chancellor Palpatine

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • ROTS - Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • ROTS - Yoda vs. Darth Sidious

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • ANH - Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi vs. Darth Vader

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • ESB - Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • ROTJ - Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader

Votes: 30 14.2%

• Total voters
I voted TPM on this one, visually stunning and the choregraphy are head and shoulders above the rest. I agree with the above posters about the dramatic effects of the Jedi duel and I would vote that second just for that reason, also I dig Jedi Luke. ROTS is #3 in the for both my reason for TPM and and ROTJ.

I had to go with Luke vs Vader in Empire Strikes Back. It is not as fast and furious as Maul vs Obi-wan and Qui-Gon. It is not as latent with special effects like Anakin vs Obi-wan.
It only has maybe the greatest cliffhanger of all-time!! In popular culture all you have to say is "I am your father" and everyone knows the reference.
The follow up duel in ROTJ was great, but we all knew Luke was going to win. At least there was some mystery to how the duel in ESB was going to end, and what an ending.

Yoda vs Dooku, seeing Yoda finally fight was great. After all those years thinking how could Yoda be a great Jedi at 3-foot tall. I always though I could take Yoda, until that scene.

I went with Anakin(Vader) & Obi-Wan from ROTS...

The whole idea behind the duel...two former friends fighting it out...just added so much to the duel itself....

It's interesting that the OT duels aren't faring so well in this poll...they all had there moments too (ESB Luke/Vader almost poked it's way to the lead for me here) but after watching AOTC & ROTS and seeing how precarious this friendship borne out of a vow to a dying man and necessity to the Jedi was and how that finally towards the end forged itself into a genuine partnership based on mutual caring, trust & respect...it just gave an edge to ROTS. Yes, the "lava surfing" and effects were just over the top, but when it finally ended with those cries of "I hate you!" & "You were the chosen one..."...it truly became the duel of the saga....at least for me. :)

jedibear said:
I went with Anakin(Vader) & Obi-Wan from ROTS...

The whole idea behind the duel...two former friends fighting it out...just added so much to the duel itself....

It's interesting that the OT duels aren't faring so well in this poll...they all had there moments too (ESB Luke/Vader almost poked it's way to the lead for me here) but after watching AOTC & ROTS and seeing how precarious this friendship borne out of a vow to a dying man and necessity to the Jedi was and how that finally towards the end forged itself into a genuine partnership based on mutual caring, trust & respect...it just gave an edge to ROTS. Yes, the "lava surfing" and effects were just over the top, but when it finally ended with those cries of "I hate you!" & "You were the chosen one..."...it truly became the duel of the saga....at least for me. :)

Ditto---- I was on the fence on this one since the thread went up... But as today was daddy/daughter day (with my wife away shopping and spending oodles of cash) as I was entertaining the young padawan I put TPM on and between naps---- feeding--- playing--- I was able to watch it again in its entirety. My point? I was going to vote for Maul's fight with Obi & Qui Gon but after watching it today there were a couple of key things that made me push it to number two (for overall lightsaber fight)---- most notably is the interruption of the fight by Jar Jar and Jake (Ya Hooooooooooooooooo) Lloyd, but even more noticeable was the fact that, yes it's two on one, but Darth Maul spends all of the fight-- up until Qui Gon gets it--- playing defence and backing up...in essence running away. Yes he gets some licks in but it's always in retreat. Now Obi-Wan in ROTS is retreating as well but I see that fight has having a more back and forth flow... Anyway I voted and broke the tie---- NOw on to the poll for best Padme outfit... AOTC arena--- RIP! Wait a second--- black leather evening wear... wait---:D

For me, there were only two fights I felt really thrilled to watch during the saga and those were Qui-Obi-Maul in TPM and Obi-Anakin in RotS. But Obi-Anakin duel had the edge due to the whole ongoing drama between the two friends.

My choice :

1 - ROTS - Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker
The most amazing Duel and emotionaly intense one of all the saga IMO. I love it : Hayden and Ewan are fantastics.

2 - TPM - Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul
Great Duel with lot of speed and great choregraphy with 3 caraters. And again emotionaly a great one.

3 - ROTS - Yoda vs. Darth Sidious
Amazing Duel between the 2 most powerful caracters of the galaxy... Even if this time there's more fun than emotion.

4 - ANH - Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi vs. Darth Vader
Should have been N°1... Stay there in my heart. Everything was pure emotion, so intense Duel.
And it was the first of the saga. Still Impressive.

5 - ESB - Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader .
Same comments : still the 1st. in my "old" heart : he is still the one.
I'll never forget "Luke... I'm Your Father !!"
Couldn't belive it !! No ! He's a liar !!

Well... the 5 ones are numbers One IMO. They are just differents.

ROTS - Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker

The lamest one has to be Mace Vs Palpatine. Whilst the duel aint to bad, the start of it 've never understood. I could have responsed quicker than the three Jedi that Palpatine killed before he went for Mace. They just stood there waiting to be killed. Or am I missing something? I always wondered, please tell me.

I think what went on in the Palpatine arrest is that, partly to trim down the fight to just Mace and Palpatine, the Jedi were meant to be caught off guard by Palpatine's power, they ignited saber's to take a defensive position, but they grossly underestimated the old man's strength and were killed in a deer in headlights type situation but for Kit who put up a bit more of a fight than the other 3 that died instantly.

Homer Simpson said:
ROTS - Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker

The lamest one has to be Mace Vs Palpatine. Whilst the duel aint to bad, the start of it 've never understood. I could have responsed quicker than the three Jedi that Palpatine killed before he went for Mace. They just stood there waiting to be killed. Or am I missing something? I always wondered, please tell me.

I heard somewhere that in the novelization Palpatine allowed them to see his "thoughts" , or something along those lines and were cuaght of guard by what they saw and were easily killed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

NASEDO said:
Yoda vs Dooku, seeing Yoda finally fight was great. After all those years thinking how could Yoda be a great Jedi at 3-foot tall. I always though I could take Yoda, until that scene.
My sentiments exactly. I didn't put as much thought into my choice as most here did but finally seeing Yoda open a can on the Count and actually use his lightsaber was a thrill to me.

I think the Maul duel is by far the best of the bunch. I mean it showed what a real martial artist would look like with a saber.

The ROTS was good but not as great as it should have been IMO. Too many up close shots. I want to see the dual. I also didnt like the fighting on top of the Lova crafts.

Second place would go to TESB. Vader has all his best lines and the look of the scene is just great. And when Vader reallycomes after look at the end he just looks so big and mean.

I chose Yoda vs Count Dooku......this is what I wanted to see for a long time and what drove me crazy when I saw it. Also his turning the dark side of the force against count Dooku and how Dooku couldnt beat him in that either, He is truly a master. Even though Obi vs Anakin was awsome we knew this would happen eventually and it would be good, but I liked the Yoda duel.

It was a tough one for me. I liked both Obi vs Anakin, and Yoda vs Palpatine. My only problem with the first one is that I don't get how even the jedi could withstand the intense heat of a lava planet, and them swining on ropes and still fighting? I just didn't buy that. With the fight between Yoda and Palpatine, yoda just seemed to give up a little too easy. He falls to the floor and and next thing "In to excile I must go." I just thought that Yoda would of wiped the floor with Plapatine. But of the two it was great to finally see Obi-wan take on Anakin. The talk before and the speech at the end were such a build up and ending to it. Everything after that is dark.

It was an extremely tough choice. But for some reason I just didn't expect to see Yoda and Sidious go at it. The top Jedi verses the top Sith, and there is something very fun and satisfiying in seeing the senate chamber get tore up. :emperor

MaulFan said:
Visually appealing for sure Josh, I voted ROTS Obi-Wan and Anakin based on this:

Total Screen Time

Emotional Stakes

Dueling Moves

Now as far as moves, I'd go hands down with my boy Maul as the most amazing stuff, but looking at the duels together, I notice one thing about the TPM duel, it's probably the only Jedi on Jedi/Sith duel that doesn't have an emotional stake to it really, they were helping the Queen and as Jedi, taking on Maul was more a responsibility, they didn't know him, there was no past between them, but all the OT duels had emotions running in the characters involved, there was some emotion in Obi-Wan and Anakin with regards to Dooku in AOTC, and there was a past there, and certainly ROTS's duels were filled, even the Mace duel, there were high emotions there.

There was a lot of emotion during the ani-obi wan duel. The duel between maul and obi wan only becomes personal when qui gon was strike down.

My personal faveorite is Yoda vs. The Emperor. I had allways wondered as a kid if either carried a lightsaber and if they did what it would be like to watch the one of greatest Jedi Masters fight one of the greatest Sith Lords.

Back