Best Lightsaber Duel of the Saga

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Lightsaber Fight of the Saga

• TPM - Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon Jinn vs. Darth Maul

Votes: 72 34.1%
  • AOTC - Obi-Wan Kenobi Anakin Skywalker & Yoda vs. Count Dooku

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • AOTC - Yoda vs. Count Dooku

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • ROTS - Obi-Wan Kenobi & Anakin Skywalker vs. Count Dooku

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ROTS - Mace Windu vs. Chancellor Palpatine

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • ROTS - Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • ROTS - Yoda vs. Darth Sidious

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • ANH - Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi vs. Darth Vader

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • ESB - Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • ROTJ - Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader

Votes: 30 14.2%

• Total voters

MaulFan

King of the Monsters
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Someone threw out the idea of a poll about lightsaber duels and I haven't seen it happen yet, but I thought it'd be fun and after the best film of the saga series, I'm curious to see what people's thoughts are on this.

Ok, so I didn't count them out before hand, I had to leave the Obi-Wan vs. Grievous duel out because there were more duels than poll choices you're allowed, but anyone is welcome to share that as a favorite, and also, if you feel that Luke vs. Vision Vader/Luke's Destiny in ESB is a good duel, go for it.

ROTJ Luke vs. Vader. It was so satisfying on so many levels.

My second choice would have either been TPM Obi, Qui, and Maul or ROTS Obi and Ani. Those two are too close to call for me.

Visually appealing for sure Josh, I voted ROTS Obi-Wan and Anakin based on this:

Total Screen Time

Emotional Stakes

Dueling Moves

Now as far as moves, I'd go hands down with my boy Maul as the most amazing stuff, but looking at the duels together, I notice one thing about the TPM duel, it's probably the only Jedi on Jedi/Sith duel that doesn't have an emotional stake to it really, they were helping the Queen and as Jedi, taking on Maul was more a responsibility, they didn't know him, there was no past between them, but all the OT duels had emotions running in the characters involved, there was some emotion in Obi-Wan and Anakin with regards to Dooku in AOTC, and there was a past there, and certainly ROTS's duels were filled, even the Mace duel, there were high emotions there.

pixletwin said:
ROTJ Luke vs. Vader. It was so satisfying on so many levels.

Agreed. It was just as much a psychological battle as it was physical.

MaulFan said:
Visually appealing for sure Josh, I voted ROTS Obi-Wan and Anakin based on this:

Total Screen Time

Emotional Stakes

Dueling Moves

Now as far as moves, I'd go hands down with my boy Maul as the most amazing stuff, but looking at the duels together, I notice one thing about the TPM duel, it's probably the only Jedi on Jedi/Sith duel that doesn't have an emotional stake to it really, they were helping the Queen and as Jedi, taking on Maul was more a responsibility, they didn't know him, there was no past between them, but all the OT duels had emotions running in the characters involved, there was some emotion in Obi-Wan and Anakin with regards to Dooku in AOTC, and there was a past there, and certainly ROTS's duels were filled, even the Mace duel, there were high emotions there.

Agreed:maul

LOTRFan said:
Agreed. It was just as much a psychological battle as it was physical.

I'd even wager more psychological, there was a heavy deal of dialogue there, much like the ANH duel, the lightsabers were more a tool for father and son to reconcile, but the real duel was in Luke verbally attacking Vader and cutting past the life-hardened exterior he developed and touching upon the good soul that once sought to make the galaxy right in a good way, and Luke won that duel as well.

Well now---- this is a poll that I'm going to have to think about before voting--- so many choi:maul ces.... Hmmmmmmm

Leaning towards Maul on Naboo----- but that Sith battle between brothers... I'll have to take a time-out right now as I consider this conundrum.

MaulFan said:
I'd even wager more psychological, there was a heavy deal of dialogue there, much like the ANH duel, the lightsabers were more a tool for father and son to reconcile, but the real duel was in Luke verbally attacking Vader and cutting past the life-hardened exterior he developed and touching upon the good soul that once sought to make the galaxy right in a good way, and Luke won that duel as well.

Well yes, you only furthered my point. I didn't mean "psychological" to be only in some sort of mind trick or what not - but precisely what you touched upon; nicely done.

:clap

I think that was my only dissappointment with the duels of the OT, as cool as the mental dueling was, and I understand why the physical duels were the way they were, but I love lightsabers, and I longed to have an amazing display of lightsaber use, then George hired Ray Park and gave us Darth Maul, and I became a very happy man, and he hired Ewan and Hayden, and while some can comment on Hayden's acting, as actors, I'm very impressed with both of them, they knew the stakes of the ROTS duel and how much it mattered to us, and they worked their asses off to give it their all, and we got a splendid display of swordsmanship that was the best of the saga, the only negative I can say about that duel is the editing room cutting it, I really think every second of footage that wasn't totally out of place should have been in the movie, I understand wanting to keep under 3 hours in length, but at that point we were all locked in and I don't think anyone would think another 10 minutes of dueling like that would have seemed to drag on, it would have been great.

I went with Luke vs. Vader from Empire because of the "I am your Father" reveal. A close second was Anikin vs. Obi Wan from Revenge of the Sith. It made Vader, Vader.

Last edited:
MaulFan said:

Dooku would have cleaned the floor with both of em.

It depends on what you mean by "best"...

Best moves and all out skill.... I'd go with the Episode I fight...Maul versus the two Jedi.. Especially after Qui-Gon died. That bit with Ewan and Ray was amazing, lightning fast and very very intense.

Coolest and most long awaited? ROTS... Battle of the Heroes. The emotional power was there before a single shot was filmed, and just seeing it unfold before your eyes made you want extend that moment for all time. The fight was just as insane as I would have wanted it to be, but really the only thing lacking was the dialog.... didn't feel as heavy as it should have been until Anakin was a torso.

Best in terms of Emotion and depth? ROTJ...... Father Vs Son. It had such enormous buildup and little skirmishes here and there as Luke dodged his father's attacks and attempted to dig beneath the armor to the man inside. All building up to that moment when he snaps and starts beating Vader back, that haunting music and choir assaulting your ears as he does so... Still gives me chills to this day. The entire saga rests on that precise moment...

I guess I would have to go with ROTJ. :rock

ESB Luke vs. Vader is my favorite scene ever in any movie, so there...

But the ROTS Obi-Wan vs. Anakin is a close second, impact-wise.

Went definitely with the ROTS Ani/Obi duel, it was fast, intense and the only thing I didn't like was the ending. "Higher Ground?" Man....I wish they had kept what I'd been hearing since I was a kid that Obi-Wan and Vader fought until he knocked him into a lava pit....that'd been awesome. Either it rules. :rock

DA, you reminded me of something, I was so pumped when I saw ROTS the first time, as soon as they cut to Padme's shipping hovering over Mustafar, I started getting jumpy in my seat and i turned to my girlfriend and told her here it comes, cuz I knew that within moments, it was ON!!! As for ROTJ duel, I'm gonna post an mp3 of that final choir music because it is just the best, but sadly shortest, piece of music in the whole saga, to me anyway, there are iconic themes and all, but the tone just pulls you into the fight and makes you feel like you're charing Darth Vader with everything you've got.

Seretur said:
ESB Luke vs. Vader is my favorite scene ever in any movie, so there...

But the ROTS Obi-Wan vs. Anakin is a close second, impact-wise.

BINGO!!!! Its not just the duel, its what is at stake and what emotions are involved and how it furthers the story arc.

Back