Before Watchmen

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mason's inner-dialogue while writing Under The Hood explicitly refers to The Comedian by his actual name (Edward Blake). This is way wrong. It was never publicly known that Blake was The Comedian (hence Rorschach's discovery in the very first issue of WATCHMEN). It was never even indicated whether Mason himself personally knew who he was. In WATCHMEN only Dr. Manhattan (another government agent) and, of course, Sally Jupiter knew his true identity. And even if you make the case that Mason somehow knows his name too, there's no way it's in Under The Hood.

That's a pretty damn lazy flub, if you ask me. And a very bad way to get this whole project started. You'd think they'd go over this stuff with a fine-toothed comb given the shaky moral ground of this endeavor. But right off the bat they're not doing themselves any favors.

Last edited:
Mason's inner-dialogue while writing Under The Hood explicitly refers to The Comedian by his actual name (Edward Blake). This is way wrong. It was never publicly known that Blake was The Comedian (hence Rorschach's discovery in the very first issue of WATCHMEN). It was never even indicated whether Mason himself personally knew who he was. In WATCHMEN only Dr. Manhattan (another government agent) and, of course, Sally Jupiter knew his true identity. And even if you make the case that Mason somehow knows his name too, there's no way it's in Under The Hood.

That's a pretty damn lazy flub, if you ask me. And a very bad way to get this whole project started. You'd think they'd go over this stuff with a fine-toothed comb given the shaky moral ground of this endeavor. But right off the bat they're not doing themselves any favors.

blasphemers :mad:

im a big watchmen fan and would prefer this not to happen.
but sense it is i hope its good.
i hope they dont try to make a film of it.

It seems like this is an early draft of Under the Hood, though. There's always the possibility that he edited Blake's identity out of the book.:dunno

I'm just going to wait on trade for these, I think DC did a good job with the writers and artists for this. I'm not a huge Moore fan I've always preferred Promethia and From Hell as his best works (IMO).

Anytime Darwyn Cooke, AH, Azz and Amanda Conner are involved with something I'll give it a shot.

Evan

How are the new books going? did they release the Comedian? someone on facebook had a pic,

Yeah, Comedian came out today. I've been liking them so far, but it's difficult to get a beat on them. I'm not sure of what they're trying to accomplish (I.e. Is each writer thinking "What would Alan Moore do?" or are they just focused on telling the best stories that they can think of and that they want to tell?).

How are the new books going? did they release the Comedian? someone on facebook had a pic,

Comedian #1 was the worst one yet. It's also a retcon. According to this, not only did Blake not assassinate Kennedy, he was actually best buds with him and RFK. When he hears of the assassination report on TV he actually has a bro moment with Moloch, who is crying. I ____ you not. Oh, and Comedian kills Marilyn Monroe at the behest of Jackie Kenneday. Such utter hogwash.

Maybe Azzarello is The Comedian, because this entire issue is one sick ____ing joke on anyone familiar with the character.

hope they dont just do a milking job on this......watchmen was one of the few superhero movies i actually liked

Comedian #1 was the worst one yet. It's also a retcon. According to this, not only did Blake not assassinate Kennedy, he was actually best buds with him and RFK. When he hears of the assassination report on TV he actually has a bro moment with Moloch, who is crying. I ____ you not. Oh, and Comedian kills Marilyn Monroe at the behest of Jackie Kenneday. Such utter hogwash.

Maybe Azzarello is The Comedian, because this entire issue is one sick ____ing joke on anyone familiar with the character.

Bull____. It's not a retcon because it never even happened. It was never expressly stated that The Comedian killed JFK in Watchmen. You're basing your facts on a film adaptation that was never even approved by Alan Moore (which, in an ironic turn, seems to be the very reason why you loathe the very idea of these prequels).

Bull____. It's not a retcon because it never even happened. It was never expressly stated that The Comedian killed JFK in Watchmen. You're basing your facts on a film adaptation that was never even approved by Alan Moore (which, in an ironic turn, seems to be the very reason why you loathe the very idea of these prequels).

Yeah, from what I remember The Comedian didn't kill JFK in the novel.

picture.php

Last edited:
please illuminate me

This is a thread about Watchmen novels and you're talking about the movie. You're also talking about them milking Before Watchmen. By saying you liked the movie some people might assume that the film was your intoduction to Watchmen and that you haven't read the first novel.

This is a thread about Watchmen novels and you're talking about the movie. You're also talking about them milking Before Watchmen. By saying you liked the movie some people might assume that the film was your intoduction to Watchmen and that you haven't read the first novel.

Well your right!... never heard of watchmen before the movie kinda suprised they had novels thought they were a comic book or graphic novel kinda thing ........You continue to live you continue to learn :dunno......cheers!

Back