Before Watchmen by DC Direct

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didnt see it asked... why does The Comedian's button have blood on it? What sense does that make?

It doesn't but I'm guessing that within the context of the series, it'll be the blood of someone that the Comedian kills or even his own blood, setting up an obvious foreshadowing but also allowing DC to use the iconic symbol on their stuff.

Frankly, I'd be more prone to backing up Alan Moore, but over the past 2 decades he has painted a picture of himself as a stubborn, pretentious old fool, and, with all due respect, I just can't find it in myself to root for the guy, it seems to me like DC would've been happy to involve him in anything Watchmen, but I don't think you can really please a guy who's so anti-establishment that he has his name omitted from the credits of a film based on his work.

At the end of the day, I'd probably do exactly what the suits at DC and WB are doing. If I'm in an executive at a company, I don't care if some stubborn old backwoods wizard doesn't want to play ball, and I don't care if people hate me for it, I just want to make money. You, as fans, call it a "shameless cash-grab," put yourselves on the flip side of the desk, and it becomes good business. Ethical or not, again, it's a business, and I don't see why they should be portrayed as evil, greedy corporate bosses for doing their jobs and making money.

moore_gebbie_photo_neil_gay.jpg

At the end of the day, I'd probably do exactly what the suits at DC and WB are doing. If I'm in an executive at a company, I don't care if some stubborn old backwoods wizard doesn't want to play ball, and I don't care if people hate me for it, I just want to make money. You, as fans, call it a "shameless cash-grab," put yourselves on the flip side of the desk, and it becomes good business. Ethical or not, again, it's a business, and I don't see why they should be portrayed as evil, greedy corporate bosses for doing their jobs and making money.

Pardon me for being frank here, but people like you (or at least, your way of thinking) are a big part of the problem and why so many continue to get away with putting avarice or even pure greed way ahead of integrity or what is right and just.

Sorry, it's just true.

Stop a minute and think about what it means when you take the side of a faceless corporation in a situation like this. And this is much bigger and more pervasive than just this example of DC and Alan Moore.

Maybe when you get older you'll realize this and see it or at least care about it. I once had a POV very similar to yours, but eventually realized it was wrong, defeatist and part of the problem. And not just with this one industry, mind you... but with culture and society on the whole. We can and should do better.

No denying that it's a big problem with society as a whole, but I've always been under the impression that business isn't about ethics or integrity, it is what it is. Especially when you've seen it all your life, the idea of a business based around ethics is as foreign to me as a Zebra without it's stripes. I hate seeing people getting their houses forclosed on by banks, I can't say I'm a fan of the little guy being stomped on either (present case excluded), but as long as money's involved (and even when there isn't), there will always be greed, and there will always be those who are going to do whatever it takes to feed their avarice. Trying to fight against it is like trying to fight human nature, it may be righteous, and it may be just, but it always happens. I look at history, and I see that every once in a while the little guy stands up to the big guy, but eventually, when there's no big guy left to stand up to, the little guy becomes the big guy, and the cycle begins anew.

two things: i know i will read these series and i know that they will ultimately add nothing to the original but i do want to read more of the adventures of these characters. a well written adventure of nite owl and rorsarch would be interesting as long the forth shadowing is minimal and not obessive or forced.

secondly

i read moores outline for twlight of the superheroes on 4 color comics yesterday - awesome what a pity he never got to do it

moore is/was awesome and that is the greater shame - that there are more comics featuring the characters but without his input

Back