Bayonetta 2 - Wii U Exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bayonetta 2

Tenchu was one of my favorite PS1 games. I wasted a lot of my life playing that game when it was released. I get my hopes up every time they release a new game in the series only to be disappointed.
Onimusha needs to be revived/HD-remade/rebooted. That series had so much potential to just pass into obscurity. The CG intro for the first one is what closed the deal when I was considering buying a PS2.
Resident Evil hasn't been good since Code Veronica IMO. Not sure how to revive that series when they keep going in the direction they're going with 6.

Tenchu wasn't Capcom... didn't realize to after but it's a valid example. It defined the stealth genre maybe more than MGS.

It's a sin to let Onimusha die the way it did. Reboot it or something SOMETHING

And I agree about Code Veronica being the last true Resident Evil of the series. I think RE4 is great but Survival Horror is dead sadly...

LOL. You don't think next year won't have another run of titles that big?

What the console industry does need is a unified architecture like DVD or Blu-ray. This way it doesn't matter if I buy from Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Pioneer, Panasonic etc... It will play all games. When the industry is ready for a leap in hardware, the major players can sit down and decide on specs once more.
Some of those are next year. As it stands, next year looks pretty slim, regarding titles that interest me.

Either way, it will likely be my last year for buying console games, as I can't justify supporting the format(s) anymore. It's become too political in my eyes and I'm just ready for a change. I haven't been a pc gamer since god knows how long, so I'll give that a try for a while and maybe when I'm ready to jump back into consoles there will be less rampant bs I dislike or disagree with. :dunno

Bayonetta is the best game in the genre. It came out of nowhere and ripped the original Devil May Cry (which I prefer over 3 and vastly prefer over 4) and even Ninja Gaiden Black to shreds. The game has so much style, a wonderful soundtrack, great voice acting, amazing character and enemy designs, a surprisingly memorable cast and story, and outstanding gameplay.

It really feels like a slap in the face to have the second one be locked specifically to the Wii U. Not only does it suck because many who played the original won't be able to play the sequel, but there are more things about Bayonetta 2 that leave me nervous.

Platinum Games and Clover Studios were/are A++ companies so I have faith in them, but the director for Bayonetta 1 is now only supervising Bayonetta 2. They have tried to assure us that this will not reduce the quality of the game, but I am reluctant to agree and am afraid Bayonetta 2 is going to feel like a rehash of the original and lack its charm or very well done design.

Another problem is Nintendo backing up the game. Now them helping fund it is great since it can finally exist (I was afraid Bayonetta would be doomed to just make cameos and never star in a game again), but I fear what kind of influence they may have over the game's design. The original Bayonetta was full of sexual content and violence. It also had plenty of vulgarity to it. Unlike say No More Heroes, Nintendo is actually directly involved and is publishing the game (I think?) so I am afraid they might try to tone things down which would be a ____ing shame.

Finally, the Wii U is the issue. This console is a piece of ____ as far as modern design goes. The online functionality is a joke it's still backward, but my main issue in regards to this game is the controller. The original Bayonetta took a lot of skill to master. Combos were complex, took a lot of canceling, and general play of the game required quick movements and a careful eye. That controller just isn't suited for it. The thumb sticks being at the top and the buttons on the bottom is just weird and I can't see myself comfortably playing a game like Bayonetta with that controller.

This is also bad for the figure scene. Bayonetta is finally getting the figure representation she deserves (I wish someone would make a high end 1/4 PF of her or preferably a 1/6 fully poseable figure) but with Nintendo's tight grip at the most we might be lucky to get a Figma.

There is one good thing about all of this though: Bayonetta now has a 1% chance of being in the next Smash Bros. I would absolutely love to see her in. They could just remove the gimmick of having her clothes disappear when attacking and she would fit in just fine. I don't think the soccer moms would have much to complain about since she would look no less appropriate than Zero Suit Samus.

they already responded regarding the Criticism

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_bVMMVVDXc[/ame]

What they said is pretty much meaningless. Long story short because Nintendo saved the game from doom we should accept things as they are without question or critique...which is ridiculous.

One thing I don't really like about the DMC style games (which includes Bayonetta) is how loose you are to your enemies. Ninja Gaiden (even the **** that is 3) has a very good brutal "intimacy" with your foes. It all feels very tight and magnetic.

Anyways, shame about the Wii U nonsense... that response was very annoying. Meaningless.

One thing I don't really like about the DMC style games (which includes Bayonetta) is how loose you are to your enemies. Ninja Gaiden (even the **** that is 3) has a very good brutal "intimacy" with your foes. It all feels very tight and magnetic.

Anyways, shame about the Wii U nonsense... that response was very annoying. Meaningless.

I'm not sure what you mean by loose? Do you mean how you just kind of juggle and attack enemies and it doesn't really feel like you are doing anything because of it?

Yeah, the whole thing is nonsense, much less over Bayonetta. This seems worse than when Capcom announced Resident Evil's exclusivity to Nintendo consoles 13 years ago and that partnership certainly didn't last. But being that this is Nintendo themselves now backing it, well who knows?

I'm not complaining, I'll be getting the Wii U eventually anyway. Devil May Cry maybe getting the reboot treatment, but I'm hoping "Angel May Cry" can provide us what Devil May Cry couldn't.

I enjoyed every DMC, except DMC2, which was made by a western dev. Factor in that the new one is made by a western dev, a team that has yet to make a game I like, and yeah... I've got little to no faith in the reboot.

By the way, I actually agreed with RE0 and the REmake going to the Gamecube. The system was cheaper, yet graphically superior to the PS2 and I wanted the best RE games Capcom could possibly give us. Granted, things have changed since then and it's all about the money anymore.

Bayonetta is the best game in the genre.

Because Capcom gave up on DMC after 4 since it was a flop. Bayonetta was fun but I was done with it after 1 playthrough. I would play DMC3 over any Bayonetta game.

You can't call it the best in the genre when the former titans DMC and Onimusha are no longer around.

Last edited:

Because Capcom gave up on DMC after 4 since it was a flop. Bayonetta was fun but I was done with it after 1 playthrough. I would play DMC3 over any Bayonetta game.

You can't call it the best in the genre when the former titans DMC and Onimusha are no longer around.

Why does it matter if they are no longer around? I judge it by the games that exist. Bayonetta is better than all of the action adventure games that had formed over the last decade. Also Devil May Cry 4 sold well if I recall. Personally I thought it was a pretty weak title though. One and three were much better. Ninja Gaiden 2 was also a major disappointment and Sigma 2 wasn't able to fix it. Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry 1, and Bayonetta are the three best in the genre as far as I am concerned.

Why does it matter if they are no longer around? I judge it by the games that exist. Bayonetta is better than all of the action adventure games that had formed over the last decade. Also Devil May Cry 4 sold well if I recall. Personally I thought it was a pretty weak title though. One and three were much better. Ninja Gaiden 2 was also a major disappointment and Sigma 2 wasn't able to fix it. Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil May Cry 1, and Bayonetta are the three best in the genre as far as I am concerned.

I just find Bayonetta being too much of a fan service game to call it "the best in the genre" and it doesn't take itself seriously anyway.

Well DMC never took itself seriously too much either though I would argue the first one had an interesting cast and plot and was a lot more serious than the others. Bayonetta actually had a surprisingly great plot and its cast was very likable. It isn't afraid to have some fun at the same time, but you can tell they put more effort into the cinematics, art direction, plot, etc.. than other companies did with games like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry (aside from 3).

It's the best in the genre not just because of the charm and great soundtrack, but the game play is the most fluid and is universally praised because of it. Combos are satisfying and feel intuitive. Switching from weapon to weapon and utilizing Bayonetta's with time ability makes fights incredibly exciting.

But we can agree to disagree. Generally speaking, people hold Bayonetta in such high regard because it tends to be viewed as the true successor to the genre.

I just realized I never finished Bayonetta. I suppose I'll have to pop it into the 360 and finish it up.

I just finished my impression of Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U

Last edited:

Bayonetta 1 is fun, but definitely not worth buying a entire console for the sequel.

Back