Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man of Steel 2 (Superman/Batman--Official title to be confirmed)

One has to wonder if that had happened, would Reeve have ever had his accident. Working on World's Finest films would've likely kept him too busy to compete on horseback (which he started in '89).

Man - that is a ****ing awesome point! We could start a whole new discussion just based on THAT!

What if.. indeed. :monkey2

Not even in the same universe as the aforementioned in terms of significance. :lol

Other than trolling on your part, there's zero relation. Both were owned by WB. :dunno

I'm hardly trolling. I was merely pointing out another teamup that we'll never witness, however much anyone wants it. I never said it was of the same exact circumstances, or prominence.

In fact, one could even say it's a sadder story, because, unlike Superman and Batman, Wolverine and Iron Man have been part of the same universe since their very inception, hindered only by studio film rights, whereas the Batman and Superman rights have always been in the same place, but creatively, kept in separate universes. Take it as you will.

I'm hardly trolling. I was merely pointing out another teamup that we'll never witness, however much anyone wants it. I never said it was of the same exact circumstances, or prominence.

I'm sorry if you mistook my post as anything more than "*sigh* what could've been." Keaton's been out of the Batman game since pre-production on Forever and Reeve has been dead for almost a decade.

In fact, one could even say it's a sadder story, because, unlike Superman and Batman, Wolverine and Iron Man have been part of the same universe since their very inception, hindered only by studio film rights, whereas the Batman and Superman rights have always been in the same place, but creatively, kept in separate universes. Take it as you will.

Not really, no. The rights being owned by two different companies, there's a definite barrier between Wolverine and Iron Man ever being in the same film. The only thing preventing the Keaton/Reeve team-up was a decision that it wouldn't work. Both were owned by the same studio.

Is that not what Zen was saying?

Point is, the comparison doesn't work. From a feature standpoint, Keaton and Reeve never appearing in a World's Finest film together was not the same as Downey and Jackman not appearing in a film together. :nono :lol

Can anyone recall a Keaton/Reeve team-up ever being considered by the studio? Serious question.

I'm sorry if you mistook my post as anything more than "*sigh* what could've been." Keaton's been out of the Batman game since pre-production on Forever and Reeve has been dead for almost a decade.

No worries.

Not really, no. The rights being owned by two different companies, there's a definite barrier between Wolverine and Iron Man ever being in the same film. The only thing preventing the Keaton/Reeve team-up was a decision that it wouldn't work. Both were owned by the same studio.

I understand both situations, I was commenting on the irony of both, really. Either one could be called a sad story, because each situation is hampered by a factor that doesn't hamper the other one. In Marvel's case, you have IP owners who want to make superhero teamup movies but are hampered by studio film rights, and in DC's case, the studio owns all the rights, but doesn't want to make teamup movies (at least until now). It's made further ironic by the fact that Batman and Superman are (finally) getting a film together, despite originally (yes, in the comics) not belonging to the same universe, yet Woverine and Iron Man have always belonged to the same universe in the comics, and their creators would be more than willing to put them in a film together, but can't, due to factors that have never hampered DC, but they took that fact for granted, and did not capitalize on it.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I understand both situations, I was commenting on the irony of both, really. Either one could be called a sad story, because each situation is hampered by a factor that doesn't hamper the other one. In Marvel's case, you have IP owners who want to make superhero teamup movies but are hampered by studio film rights, and in DC's case, the studio owns all the rights, but doesn't want to make teamup movies (at least until now). It's made further ironic by the fact that Batman and Superman are (finally) getting a film together, despite originally (yes, in the comics) not belonging to the same universe, yet Woverine and Iron Man have always belonged to the same universe in the comics, and their creators would be more than willing to put them in a film together, but can't, due to factors that have never hampered DC, but they took that fact for granted, and did not capitalize on it.

I don't agree with that. While it would be nice to see the X-Men cameo in Avengers, I think they're good where they are. Wolverine is too bright a star in the Marvel universe not to compete with any one of the Avengers. Having the X-franchise at FOX allows them to showcase him as well as the other characters in an environment where they won't get overshadowed and won't overshadow the core Avengers.

Looking at the comics, Wolverine and Iron Man never really teamed up much. And up until 2008, Iron Man was a B-lister to Wolverine's A-list status. Hell, even during Civil War, they were on opposite sides. But I get what you're saying. :lol

https://dc-comics-and-audrey-hepburn.wikia.com/wiki/World's_Finest_Movie

If there's any truth to that article, it just goes to show you what a ****ing trainwrech WB is regarding the DC license and gives me little hope that things have changed. :lol

Wow, yeah, if true....well, I had no idea the Batman/Superman thing was being discussed that far back. I remember the Wolfgang Petersen thing that was canned but didn't have a clue about all the other stuff like Clooney and Dean Cain.

I don't agree with that. While it would be nice to see the X-Men cameo in Avengers, I think they're good where they are. Wolverine is too bright a star in the Marvel universe not to compete with any one of the Avengers. Having the X-franchise at FOX allows them to showcase him as well as the other characters in an environment where they won't get overshadowed and won't overshadow the core Avengers.

Looking at the comics, Wolverine and Iron Man never really teamed up much. And up until 2008, Iron Man was a B-lister to Wolverine's A-list status. Hell, even during Civil War, they were on opposite sides. But I get what you're saying. :lol

Right, I'm not commenting on the popularity of characters, or the need for, or lack of need for a teamup film. The same overshadowing argument could feasibly be used for Batman and Superman. I see what you're saying, obviously, we need a Batman/Superman and Justice League movie more than Avengers/X-Men crossover (although Spider-man and Wolverine may have been Avengers members before?), but they do technically belong to the same universe, and it would be nice to have the luxury of working towards a teamup film(s) down the road.

Basically, all I'm saying is Marvel would probably love to make a Wolvie/Stark teamup (characters who originated in the same universe), but can't, whereas DC/WB has always had the ability to make a Superman/Batman film (characters who did not originate in the same universe), but historically, have always seemed to be allergic to the prospect.

There's just a certain mathematical beauty to it. It's like a perfectly balanced equation of fanboy frustration. :dunno

Last edited:

I know I'd love an X-men vs. Avengers movie. :)

With no mention of mutants anywhere in the current Avenger's-verse, I think a team-up, even if the rights fell back into Marvel's hands, would need a bit of retroactive explaining as to the why there's been no reference to war with mutants, a group called The X-men, mutant cures etc.

Last edited:

With no mention of mutants anywhere in the current Avenger's-verse, I think a team-up, even in the rights fell back into Marvel's hands, would need a bit of retroactive explaining as to the why there's been no reference to war with mutants, a group called The X-men, mutant cures etc.

:lol

Yeah, they shot themselves in the foot. Sucks.

With no mention of mutants anywhere in the current Avenger's-verse, I think a team-up, even in the rights fell back into Marvel's hands, would need a bit of retroactive explaining as to the why there's been no reference to war with mutants, a group called The X-men, mutant cures etc.

Right. It's not going to happen this 'generation.' If it ever does occur, it will be far enough down the road, that, much like a Keaton/Reeve teamup, a Downey/Jackman teamup (two pairs who equally exemplified their respective characters, gaining iconic, almost exclusionary, status in each role), will probably never happen. Reboot(s) will have undoubtedly occurred, and we will either have a new Marvel film universe that doesn't have to eschew the word 'mutant' in favor of 'inhuman,' or in true comic book movie history fashion, the alteration from 'mutant' to 'inhuman' could filter into the comics and become the new canon, or at least the canon of a new universe, much like the Ultimate universe.

Another possibility is that the MCCU will continue, and eventually move past the original characters to tell other stories, without bothering to reboot the old ones. Characters like Iron Man could be replaced by characters such as Dr Strange. New headliners could step in to take the spotlight. Iron Man himself was once a second stringer before achieving the level of popularity he has now. Who's to say he needs to be recast/rebooted once Downey leaves the picture, if other second-stringers could potentially attain the same level of success? While I see it as unlikely, it is certainly interesting to entertain the prospect that the Marvel film universe could 'retire the jersey,' so to speak, once actors who have so completely personified their roles, such as Downey and Jackman, have moved on.

Last edited:

Right. It's not going to happen this 'generation.' If it ever does occur, it will be far enough down the road, that, much like a Keaton/Reeve teamup, a Downey/Jackman teamup (two pairs who equally exemplified their respective characters, gaining iconic, almost exclusionary, status in each role), will probably never happen. Reboot(s) will have undoubtedly occurred, and we will either have a new Marvel film universe that doesn't have to eschew the word 'mutant' in favor of 'inhuman,' or in true comic book movie history fashion, the alteration from 'mutant' to 'inhuman' could filter into the comics and become the new canon, or at least the canon of a new universe, much like the Ultimate universe.

Another possibility is that the MCCU will continue, and eventually move past the original characters to tell other stories, without bothering to reboot the old ones. Characters like Iron Man could be replaced by characters such as Dr Strange. New headliners could step in to take the spotlight. Iron Man himself was once a second stringer before achieving the level of popularity he has now. Who's to say he needs to be recast/rebooted once Downey leaves the picture, if other second-stringers could potentially attain the same level of success? While I see it as unlikely, it is certainly interesting to entertain the prospect that the Marvel film universe could 'retire the jersey,' so to speak, once actors who have so completely personified their roles, such as Downey and Jackman, have moved on.

Not sure it'd work anyway. They have to get Iron Man to take a back seat just to debut another character. So how long would it take them to flesh out an entire X-Men franchise? Already, Widow and Hawkeye are casualties, and look at Hulk. Poor guy's next appearance, despite being just about the most awesome part of Avengers isn't until the next one (and I mean Hulk, not puny Banner). Marvel Studios is overworked as it is. I don't think I'd enjoy the watered down versions of the heroes they'd need to give us to give us everything.

Not sure it'd work anyway. They have to get Iron Man to take a back seat just to debut another character. So how long would it take them to flesh out an entire X-Men franchise? Already, Widow and Hawkeye are casualties, and look at Hulk. Poor guy's next appearance, despite being just about the most awesome part of Avengers isn't until the next one (and I mean Hulk, not puny Banner). Marvel Studios is overworked as it is. I don't think I'd enjoy the watered down versions of the heroes they'd need to give us to give us everything.

Which is why I think they won't keep up this pace of consistent hits.....spreading themselves too thin beyond Avengers sequels which will get top priority...success does this...especially in Hollywood

I'm not arguing for it. If they ever crossover with X-Men, it will probably be a new iteration, IE a reboot of the MCCU, as detailed in my previous post. Ideally, reboot or not, the best way to cross them over would be to develop the franchises independently before crossing over, rather than introducing them as new characters in the crossover film itself. Of course, Marvel already knows this, as it has been their current practice so far.

Last edited:
Back