Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Man of Steel 2 (Superman/Batman--Official title to be confirmed)

I don't see this as such a bad move as many people apparently do. Superman and Batman are both firmly established characters. Most people, at least most of the people who care enough to see the movie, have a history with both, or at least one, of these characters, whether it's with existing movies, cartoons, or comic books. That being said, a lot of the character development is already in place. People know, for the most part, what to expect from these characters. The fans have been ready for this movie for years, even before the Nolan trilogy came about.

The thing is, this IS the superhero movie we need right now. The superhero craze is only going to last for so long, and while us hardcore fans will go, no matter what, they need to sell more tickets than that in order to keep making films that will measure up to our rigorous standards of quality. How competitive do you think DC would be against Marvel if they just released a Superman sequel, the same year Marvel releases Avengers 2? They need to hold the public's attention somehow, and, yes, they have some serious catching up to do.

What do you think would fare better against Avengers 2? Another standalone Superman movie, just like we had in 2013, or a movie of epic proportions, that has never yet happened, in the history of cinema? If you ask me, this has the potential to be bigger than Avengers 2. We've already had an Avengers film. We've already had a standalone Superman film. We've already had several standalone Batman films. But, we've never had a Batman/Superman movie, and we've never had a movie set in an unambiguously shared DC universe before. In short, this had to be done.

Exactly. Look at THOR 2. He didn't get a solo sequel until AFTER THE AVENGERS. Same with Cap. Why do people think Supes won't get the same treatment after JL?

Well, Thor wrapped things up and with Cap they actually set up the Avengers movie, but with MoS is a completely different scenario.

But I really hope I'm wrong and it ends up developing Supes as it should.

I really dont think Bats is gonna be in this as much as people think, the whole first half of the film will be a villain i think and maybe a glimpse of Wayne or Batman but not all about him, the final act will be the confrontation and the end will be a Justice League hint. We only need to see Bats when he's in action against Supes really, we shouldn't be seeing him a Wayne around the manor or Batman fighting crime in gotham just glimpses hinting at what's to come, keep him mysterious.

I don't see this as such a bad move as many people apparently do. Superman and Batman are both firmly established characters. Most people, at least most of the people who care enough to see the movie, have a history with both, or at least one, of these characters, whether it's with existing movies, cartoons, or comic books. That being said, a lot of the character development is already in place. People know, for the most part, what to expect from these characters. The fans have been ready for this movie for years, even before the Nolan trilogy came about.

The thing is, this IS the superhero movie we need right now. The superhero craze is only going to last for so long, and while us hardcore fans will go, no matter what, they need to sell more tickets than that in order to keep making films that will measure up to our rigorous standards of quality. How competitive do you think DC would be against Marvel if they just released a Superman sequel, the same year Marvel releases Avengers 2? They need to hold the public's attention somehow, and, yes, they have some serious catching up to do.

What do you think would fare better against Avengers 2? Another standalone Superman movie, just like we had in 2013, or a movie of epic proportions, that has never yet happened, in the history of cinema? If you ask me, this has the potential to be bigger than Avengers 2. We've already had an Avengers film. We've already had a standalone Superman film. We've already had several standalone Batman films. But, we've never had a Batman/Superman movie, and we've never had a movie set in an unambiguously shared DC universe before. In short, this had to be done.

Yes, they're both firmly established in the comics, but MoS changed that, the way things went down in MoS doesn't portray a well established Superman, at all, as much as I love MoS they need to build on top of that, develop the character a LOT, if they have to put Batman in, fine, but focus on Supes for godsake.

I'm the wrong person to ask that question because I already think MoS is miles better and bigger than the Avengers, so of course I think Superman alone packs enough punch to be bigger than the Avengers 2.

I don't think this is the Superhero movie "we need" especially right after TDK trilogy, let it breathe for godsake or Batman will become the next Iron Man, ew, if he's not already there with the over exposition.

And DC doesn't have to compete with Marvel, not at least the way they're doing it, Marvel's got a plan, of years, maybe decades ahead, DC doesn't (apparently), all I see is DC copy/pasting Marvel's plan to their own movies, that's not benchmarking correctly.

I really dont think Bats is gonna be in this as much as people think, the whole first half of the film will be a villain i think and maybe a glimpse of Wayne or Batman but not all about him, the final act will be the confrontation and the end will be a Justice League hint. We only need to see Bats when he's in action against Supes really, we shouldn't be seeing him a Wayne around the manor or Batman fighting crime in gotham just glimpses hinting at what's to come, keep him mysterious.

I hope you're right :lecture

Yes, they're both firmly established in the comics, but MoS changed that, the way things went down in MoS doesn't portray a well established Superman, at all, as much as I love MoS they need to build on top of that, if they have to put Batman in, fine, but focus on Supes for godsake.

I'm the wrong person to ask that question because I already thing MoS is miles better and bigger than the Avengers, so of course I think Superman alone packs enough punch to be bigger than the Avengers 2.

I don't think this is the Superhero movie "we need" especially right after TDK trilogy, let it breathe for godsake.

And DC doesn't have to compete with Marvel, not at least the way they're doing it, Marvel's got a plan, of years, maybe decades ahead, DC doesn't (apparently), all I see is DC copy/pasting that plan to their own movies, that's not benchmarking correctly.

We've had enough solo stories for both Superman and Batman. Another solo Superman film won't prove that DC is committed to making a Justice League movie. At least with this team-up, they're testing the waters for it.

I agree with this, also. In fact, I'd be fine if they did the Avengers approach and just hinted at Bruce Wayne like they did with Nick Fury. But let's face it - WB and DC don't have confidence in many of their characters, and for good reason. Most of these characters are at least 30 years older than Marvel's and some of them haven't aged well (I'm looking at you, Wonder Woman). They need to keep people interested somehow.

We've had enough solo stories for both Superman and Batman. Another solo Superman film won't prove that DC is committed to making a Justice League movie. At least with this team-up, they're testing the waters for it.

While sacrificing the character depth of arguably the most important JL member, gotcha :lol

It's not about "having enough", it's about doing it right, for that matter we haven't had enough decent Superman movies.

I agree with this, also. In fact, I'd be fine if they did the Avengers approach and just hinted at Bruce Wayne like they did with Nick Fury. But let's face it - WB and DC don't have confidence in many of their characters, and for good reason. Most of these characters are at least 30 years older than Marvel's and some of them haven't aged well (I'm looking at you, Wonder Woman). They need to keep people interested somehow.

Dude, if someone had reason to not trust their characters, especially some D-list characters they used for the Avengers, is Marvel, and even so, they trusted them.

Can't DC trust their heavy hitters and A-listers? :dunno

I don't understand why more people aren't upset that the first appearance of the new Batman is a part of a Superman movie. That seems like the insult, to me.

Dude, if someone had reason to not trust their characters, especially some D-list characters they used for the Avengers, is Marvel, and even so, they trusted them.

Can't DC trust their heavy hitters and A-listers? :dunno

You also must take into consideration, that, unlike Marvel's characters, most of DC's A-listers actually weren't designed to exist in the same universe. Sure, they've coexisted in the comics for quite some time, but it gets challenging when introducing them in film, especially when they've already established such a serious tone.

Yes, Marvel did it right. If I had it my way, Nolan would have never gotten away with making his Batman an insular creation cut off from the rest of the DC universe. Batman Begins could have been the tentpole to kick this thing off, rather than turning to, let's face it, DC's second most popular character to begin. And it's an even more difficult position because most of the audience has already grown attached to a Dark Knight that won't be returning, and suffered through a horrible first impression from the Green Lantern. DC's options are limited at this point.

I don't understand why more people aren't upset that the first appearance of the new Batman is a part of a Superman movie. That seems like the insult, to me.

I guess that says something about Batman fans. We're willing to sacrifice for the greater good. :nana:

All jokes aside, neither Batman fans or Superman fans should be complaining at this point. If you looked at it from a DC Universe perspective, rather than a Superman or Batman perspective, it makes perfect sense.

You also must take into consideration, that, unlike Marvel's characters, most of DC's A-listers actually weren't designed to exist in the same universe. Sure, they've coexisted in the comics for quite some time, but it gets challenging when introducing them in film, especially when they've already established such a serious tone.

Yes, Marvel did it right. If I had it my way, Nolan would have never gotten away with making his Batman an insular creation cut off from the rest of the DC universe. Batman Begins could have been the tentpole to kick this thing off, rather than turning to, let's face it, DC's second most popular character to begin. And it's an even more difficult position because most of the audience has already grown attached to a Dark Knight that won't be returning, and suffered through a horrible first impression from the Green Lantern. DC's options are limited at this point.

I see your point and I somewhat agree, especially on this, Nolan you selfish bastard :lol

That's exactly what we needed :lol

Perhaps because there's no place for that insult? Coming right out of a Batman trilogy, we finally get a proper Supes reintroduction and WB goes, "hey let's give'em Batman, they love Batman, who cares about developing Superman? " :lol yeah that's insulting to Batman.

I see your point and I somewhat agree, especially on this, Nolan you selfish bastard :lol

That's exactly what we needed :lol

Perhaps because there's no place for that insult? Coming right out of a Batman trilogy, we finally get a proper Supes reintroduction and WB goes, "hey let's give'em Batman, they love Batman, who cares about developing Superman? " :lol yeah that's insulting to Batman.

You could look on the bright side, at least Supes won't be developed in a vacuum.

Last edited:

You could look on the bright side, at least Supes won't be developed in a vacuum.

I'm not sure I get this...

funny-ned-flanders-fry-meme-not-sure-if-simpsons-pics.jpg

Are you referring to the destruction in Metropolis?

I'm not sure I get this...

funny-ned-flanders-fry-meme-not-sure-if-simpsons-pics.jpg

Are you referring to the destruction in Metropolis?

When I said a vacuum, I meant a world completely vacant of other superheroes.

You're going to see Superman developing and interacting with other Justice League members from the beginning. After years of depressing Nolan movies with no other superheroes, while Marvel had all their Avengers fun, this should be comforting to DC fans.

Last edited:

You're going to see Superman developing and interacting with other Justice League members from the beginning. After years of depressing Nolan movies with no other superheroes, while Marvel had all their Avengers fun, this should be comforting.

Mhm well I tell you, I really hope I'm wrong and something amazing comes out of this, I do want Supes and Bats together, who doesn't, no point in complaining now I guess.

Edit: At this point as long as they properly develop Superman and address everything that happened in metropolis, I'm a happy camper.

Back