1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think Stratmeister has a chance. I mean, they did tell him after inspection they'd place extra plastic between the car and shield. If they didn't, well, that's a lie. I think BBTS will be pretty fair about it, they're a great store.

:lol Regular Morgan Freeman, or Morgan Freeman on helium? ;) (If you haven't seen the video, it's worth a chuckle)

That sucks man, but I wouldn't hold your breath for anything else from BBTS. They are really trying to unload their stock of these and they were very clear on the order page:

***ALL SALES ARE FINAL AND THIS PRODUCT IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR A RETURN OR EXCHANGE.

True enough. And had they installed the plastic as I was told they had done, I would not have had any reason to question it.
I would have figured, well, there's the damage, it is what it is. But they didn't do it. So it appears more damage did occur.
If their attitude is well we sold it as scratched, that's how it goes, too bad, have a nice day. That's ****** and lame. But,
probably what I will hear.

Well, I think Stratmeister has a chance. I mean, they did tell him after inspection they'd place extra plastic between the car and shield. If they didn't, well, that's a lie. I think BBTS will be pretty fair about it, they're a great store.

That's my position. If they had done that. There would really be nothing for me to question. But they didn't. That was a lie, and it does appear more damage occurred. And it didn't need to happen. I want them to admit some responsibility for what happened. And not act like it doesn't matter. I got an initial response saying basically, well, it's probably the typical damage we depicted in our pictures. Of course it is, the shield was still hitting the car. I wouldn't expect anything else, nothing was changed. That's not the point. If it happened after you inspected it because you failed to take a simple measure to prevent more damage, that new damage is on you.

From the beginning, it would have been nice if there was a surplus of replacements for the canopy available from Hot Toys and Sideshow. Surely that piece of the vehicle isn't very costly to produce and could have been mass produced to counter the damage? A lot of the flawed cars only have flaws ON the canopy/windshield portion of the vehicle. I know it varies from vehicle to vehicle, but I really can't believe for something as expensive as the vehicle and simple as the canopy, nobody was prepared with a plethora of back ups. What if parts were missing from the plastic tray like the magnetic tool? Or there was a damaged grapple hook? It makes no sense to me why those things couldn't have been swapped out in place of a newer one instead of having to ship the ENTIRE vehicle back. The situation didn't just hurt customers, but retailers and distributors also.

It's a beautiful piece and one of my favorite collectibles, no doubt. But I remember thinking it was crazy when all I had was a scratched canopy and I had to ship the whole thing back instead of just getting a replacement for a small part. It made no sense to me. The costs that these companies must have eaten had to suck.

Personaly i think that the 89 batmobile is the greatest achievement of a vehicule in the cinema' history and i'm sure that it has a large part in the fact that i felt in love of the character of Batman when i discovered the movie in 1989 in theatre when i was 8 years old. When i saw the 89 batmobile on screen for the frist time, it was a shock! I was so impressed. For me it is the perfect combination of beauty, elegance, sensuality, agressivity and brutality. It is so threatening and powerfull in the same time. When you see it arriving, you immediatly know that it is going to be warm for the vilains.
With its look so special, it's seems that it has its own personality and it's alive!

So when i discovered the HT prototype i knew that i had to have one! But when you are 32 years old, it is hard to assume to buy a 600$ giant plastic car...
It was maybe my biggest impulsive, inconscious and full of remorse purchase but also the one that gave me the biggest enjoyement and pleasure when i open the box and raise the shield... No regret...
:wink1:

just wanted to say nice post :)

I've been working on it for a couple hours. I got all the marks out except for one, you'd never know they were ever there now.The one I can't remove completely is deeper than the other marks were. I was able to make it less noticeable. I think I could remove it but it's making the area too glossy so I had to stop. The mark is just in back of the sliding canopy, next to the round window. I've seen it on others in the same area. I'll give some more thought as to how I might be able to improve it. I sure would like to remove it. But I can live with it as is. Doesn't excuse BBTS for not covering the car.

I can not lie to you good people.......even at the unbelievable discount I got ($260 shipped) I have been feeling buyer's remorse for the last few days.

It's such a mixed emotion....the car is just GORGEOUS. No question. But it's just so damn BIG! I mean, I knew it was gonna be big, but I didn't think it was gonna be this BIG!!

And I live in what is called a 2DK in Japan. It's a living room, a bedroom (with tatami mats on the floor), and a kitchen and bathroom. Not bad at all for one person...heck, some families and couples even squeeze into 2DKs here! But space is at a premium. One wall of my living room is completely covered with shelves of toys. I can't add a giant car to that! Plus, I sleep on a futon on the floor...I can't risk rolling over onto the car!

So since it arrived I've had it propped up on the shipping box, which felt like it took up about half of my tatami room. I guess I'm just embarrassed. I'm a guy that doesn't even have a kitchen table, but I have this giant TOY CAR taking up half my apartment!! I even thought about trying to return it or sell it or something. I was just so caught up in the moment when I saw how cheap it was, I wasn't thinking practically.

But today I went to a Home Depot/Lowes type of store here in Japan and bought a nice black table for about $50. Just the right size for the car to rest on, with the shields fitting underneath. I managed to shove the giant box into my main closet. Now, with the box out of the way and the car displayed properly on a table....it looks pretty damn classy, if I do say so myself. And it only really takes up ONE tatami mat, in a six-mat room. So it's really not nearly as bad as I thought.

I guess the biggest thing for me was I liked living kinda "spartan" style here in my room. I try to keep things minimal. But a nearly four-foot long plastic car proudly on display changes that!

It looks amazing...it's just an insanley beautiful display piece. Now that it's on a table and looks decent, I think my buyer's remorse is going away.

Thanks morphosis! :wink1:
To finish my thought i always thought that the Tumbler was closer than a Tank than a car. Even if i never felt anything watching the Nolan's trilogy and thought that the Tumbler was the worst batmobile ever, it is absolutly coherent with the cold, modern, efficient and without magic Nolan's movies. The Tumbler is nevertheless impressive and gives the feeling it can get through walls. But appart the color, it is massive and absolutly not furtive like the 89. ( think at this scene when Batman observes from the cockpit of the batmobile the Penguin looking for its ancestors and leave like a shadow sinking in the dark streets of Gotham on the snow...)
The 66 batmobile is very beautiful, elegant and distinguished but for me it is a " classic " car modified and disguised. Even if it's gorgeous .
The 89 looks like nothing known...

I can not lie to you good people.......even at the unbelievable discount I got ($260 shipped) I have been feeling buyer's remorse for the last few days.

It's such a mixed emotion....the car is just GORGEOUS. No question. But it's just so damn BIG! I mean, I knew it was gonna be big, but I didn't think it was gonna be this BIG!!

And I live in what is called a 2DK in Japan. It's a living room, a bedroom (with tatami mats on the floor), and a kitchen and bathroom. Not bad at all for one person...heck, some families and couples even squeeze into 2DKs here! But space is at a premium. One wall of my living room is completely covered with shelves of toys. I can't add a giant car to that! Plus, I sleep on a futon on the floor...I can't risk rolling over onto the car!

So since it arrived I've had it propped up on the shipping box, which felt like it took up about half of my tatami room. I guess I'm just embarrassed. I'm a guy that doesn't even have a kitchen table, but I have this giant TOY CAR taking up half my apartment!! I even thought about trying to return it or sell it or something. I was just so caught up in the moment when I saw how cheap it was, I wasn't thinking practically.

But today I went to a Home Depot/Lowes type of store here in Japan and bought a nice black table for about $50. Just the right size for the car to rest on, with the shields fitting underneath. I managed to shove the giant box into my main closet. Now, with the box out of the way and the car displayed properly on a table....it looks pretty damn classy, if I do say so myself. And it only really takes up ONE tatami mat, in a six-mat room. So it's really not nearly as bad as I thought.

I guess the biggest thing for me was I liked living kinda "spartan" style here in my room. I try to keep things minimal. But a nearly four-foot long plastic car proudly on display changes that!

It looks amazing...it's just an insanley beautiful display piece. Now that it's on a table and looks decent, I think my buyer's remorse is going away.

Buyers remorse usually happens because of money spent on something. Either didn't really have the discretionary money to do it, or should have maybe used the money on something else, something practical. Since there is nothing really practical about items like this, we all set that one aside. You're not voicing concerns about the money. It's having adequate/practical space that's the issue. You're not alone when it comes to this car. There is nothing inconspicuous about it. Where ever it ends up being displayed it screams "Hey, check me out!". You got it at a ridiculously low price. I wish I would have had a chance to get one at that price. So now that you found a spot for it, enjoy it. You did good. "Winner winner, chicken dinner!!"

If space is at a premium I always thought it would look like a great piece of art simply hung on a wall.

Of course!

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks morphosis! :wink1:
To finish my thought i always thought that the Tumbler was closer than a Tank than a car. Even if i never felt anything watching the Nolan's trilogy and thought that the Tumbler was the worst batmobile ever, it is absolutly coherent with the cold, modern, efficient and without magic Nolan's movies. The Tumbler is nevertheless impressive and gives the feeling it can get through walls. But appart the color, it is massive and absolutly not furtive like the 89. ( think at this scene when Batman observes from the cockpit of the batmobile the Penguin looking for its ancestors and leave like a shadow sinking in the dark streets of Gotham on the snow...)
The 66 batmobile is very beautiful, elegant and distinguished but for me it is a " classic " car modified and disguised. Even if it's gorgeous .
The 89 looks like nothing known...

LoL. well ill have to disagree, but thats ok. Glad you enjoy the 89 so much. What you feel like for the 89, i feel that for the Tumbler. I think its a work of art and extremely unique. I do think that as well for the 89, but i just prefer the power of the Tumbler and also the back story of it. And i prefer the 66 over 89. When i was little before 89 came out, one of my first toys was a little HotWheels 66. It was my favorite toy ever. And they had a car convention in the city in the 80s when i was little and the main attraction was the 66, so i went to see it with my family and i was just so psyched to see it in person. I also saw the 89 in person back in the 90s. Its really impressive too because of how big it is. I havent seen the Tumbler in person, but i know a guy that built one and have seen tons of pictures of it from him building it and riding it, and getting on some TV shows with it. I hope someday to see it in person. From what he's told me, driving it is like driving a tank but can handle like a sports car. Its a beast and you feel like you can crush cars with it, but also goes really fast and thats why i like it so much. You can seem invincible with it. the 89 and 66 don't give me that invincible feeling. They are more about elegance and speed, which is awesome, don't get me wrong. But my personality is more the Tumbler :)

Being an '89 fanboy, this will always be "my" batmobile so to speak but the tumbler has grown on me in recent years. I disliked how it was used in the sequels but loved it in batman begins, the rooftop chase was great and it had this raw power and grunt that I hadn't seen in a live action batmobile. I think it's probably the lack of memorable scenes (outside of the rooftop chase) which is why it doesn't resonate with as many people as this, and the 66 one does.

"Turbines to speed", "get in the car" "which one?", "stop." - even these simple/obscure quotes probably resonate with the bat fans out there and I struggle to think of anything as iconic in the Nolan films. It's like the batmobiles of 66 and 89 are an extension of the bat character, they're part of the mystique and are as if not more important than the batcave, Alfred etc. In the Nolan films it never seems to have that level of importance and in TDK onwards made way for the Batpod and The Bat (both of which I dislike).

I completly understand your opinion Morphosis. It shows that we are all differents and have so many differents sensibilities. What is very interesting is that, even if you grew up with the 89 batmobile ( and to a lesser extend with the 66 one ), you prefer the Tumbler.
:wink1:

Back