Ball-socket neck plug? Where to buy some...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Username

Last Son Of Krypton
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys.
On a HT(Or Sideshow, based on the GI Joe figure heads i have), there is a vinyl insert glued into the head to receive the ball socket neck part.
I am wondering if these are available from somewhere, as i recently bought a headsculpt from a member here that was *represented as* a Hot Toys Perseus but was *actually* a Hot Toys Marcus which had the neck removed(Very professionally i might add), and had one of those vinyl plugs in there.
It just occurs to me that if they are available from customisers, it will add a nice professional touch to my own customs.
Any info will be handy.

IMG_2718_zps2eba35fe.jpg

IMG_2717_zpsf2d786f0.jpg

IMG_2716_zps65e06676.jpg

IMG_2714_zpsc8a465b7.jpg

I've made my own, cast in a softer rubber than the originals. Keep meaning to offer them up, but I don't know what to ask for them. I'd want to sell them in packs, maybe 5 or so at a time. How would you like to see these offered? 5-packs, 10-packs?

I made up molds because, just like you, I couldn't figure out why nobody sold them, and even small companies try to cast an opening that fits a ball joint, but with no give and no grip, you wind up using adhesive. Casting silicone in a silicone mold is tricky -- it wants to fuse, and I lost two molds that way -- but I've got it figured out now. It's just time-consuming and messy. The silicone that the sockets are made of has to be squeezed through a big syringe; it's thick stuff. I'll have to shoot a photo of my plugs...:wink1:

Last edited:
I just *knew* there would be someone out there that could help.
10-packs would be ideal for me.
So, slightly less pliable than HT vinyl, but tougher than casting sillicone?
Sounds perfect.

So, slightly less pliable than HT vinyl, but tougher than casting sillicone?

More pliable than HT vinyl. Doesn't make a loud pop when you mount the head, more of a *snick* sound, but grips exactly the same way. To be clear, these are recasts of plugs cut from various generic heads (the ones that came with TrueType bodies, plus a few non-HT sockets with slightly different measurements). I'll have to figure out what making a batch costs.

Does anyone object on moral grounds to recast engineered parts? There's no artist involved, but it's still someone else's work. Given the pain-in-the-@ss factor of working with goo that wants to bond to the mold, I'd be the first to buy sockets from Hot Toys.

Since my pm box is usually close to full, anybody interested please post here. Maybe I should ask Darklord Dave what he thinks about this. I could just post a tutorial about how to do it.

I have no moral objection... this is just a part; not something licensed or detracting from sales.

And yes, I'd love some of these :rock

Seems we're in the clear. I'm kept track of interest, and will contact people soon. I have to figure out prices.

Just to mix things up, I should mention that I have made Hot Toys-sized female plugs as well.

More soon. Thanks for the interest, guys. I think you'll be pleased.

Last edited:
Gruff Old Bear...More soon. Thanks for the interest, guys. I think you'll be pleased.

good to hear bud

I'm interested as well. Because the material is silicone, how would you recommend it be secured inside the figures head?

BOBBY

Thanks for staying patient, guys. I'll set up a sales thread soon. Have houseguests right now. I'll take some pictures to illustrate how to install the plugs into resin heads.

No rush.
I wasn't even sure there would be someone who could help me out.
Now i find there is, i can wait a little to get the parts.

Wow! This is a timely thread for me. I have found a few heads in desperate need of sockets. I would be interested in a set as well, please.:pray:

Wow! This is a timely thread for me. I have found a few heads in desperate need of sockets. I would be interested in a set as well, please.:pray:

Back