Avengers Iron Man Mark VII Life Sized Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for posting those pics, DFanatic. They just confirmed what I had already suspected which is that the paint on this bust looks like a plastic toy....and it also has an orange tint to it which definitely does not look right.

I really want to buy the 1:2 Mark VII LSF statue when it's released in a few weeks, but if the paint looks like it does on that bust I'll be saving $2k.

Wow! The MKIII gold does look much better.
Wax that faceplate up. Anyone brave enough to add a gloss coat? Why so dull SS?

Well...I get mine on Thursday - so I will have to see if I can live with it 'as is' without mods. I don't think I would like the M42 much better, but here is a thought. I think the 'yellow color' is more in line with the official legacy color (and I bet the red is too, though I favor the darker MIII red). But, like I said, I bet the red is supposed to be that color of red on the MVII). However, I think what I may do is this: I have seen where some have sent their collectibles, that had so-so painting, to a professional to upgrade the paint - make it more life like or just better in general. They tape it off and use a professional spray gun, etc. I bet there is someone that will be able to make this more GOLD on the mask, and make the piece that much better.

Here is a example of what I am talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cWpWDEn6n8

I know that the MVII has more of a yellow gold face plate, and the MIII has an 'antique' gold look. But I have to say they look great together. I kind of dig both of them to be honest.

Well, I finally (seriously, finally, it's been over 2 years) got mine today and took a few quick pictures for you guys.

First of all, this thing is HEAVY! By far the heaviest thing I ever got (collectible wise). Even moving it around takes some effort. Paint looks really good in this bust with the exception of the faceplate. It's such a lame, yellowish, dull color. It will definitely need to be altered... I might give a polish like that other guy did. The rest looks good, nice and glossy.

Overall this bust looks good in hand but I can't lie, I'm not blown away by it. I'm not sure if I'm let down because of the long wait, or because of it's the less than stellar finish. All I know is that bust this doesn't have the same appeal to me as the Mark III bust.

MstcFXAl.jpg

n3pTNY2l.jpg

2jvQ1qml.jpg

Can you get another shot like that without the ammo packs on the MVII? If I had both side by side I would probably remove the ammo packs...​

Damn!
Those pictures side-by-side with MKIII clearly shows how weak this new MKVII is!!! That faceplate is a total FAIL and for the price asking... wow...

Thanks for the great review and photos!!!

Yea, on reflection its not the greatest of news in regards to the paint app finish of the faceplate. If anything, comparing this new MKVII bust to the MKIII version makes it look as though Sideshow have gone backwards in terms of their development in achieving the correct metallic finish :dunno not good at all.

On comparing both the faceplates of the MKIII and MKVII in terms of colour and finish, there really isn't too much difference in my opinion. Maybe the MVII is more golden and slightly more reflective :dunno actually would have preferred if they'd even used the same finish as they did for the MKIII - which still isn't perfect by any means but it looks a heck of a lot better than what they done with their MKVII bust.

u5egesuz.jpg

On another note, considering the amount of money these busts cost, I would love to have seen further development on both the Arc Reactor and most importantly for me, to have the ammo packs open up to reveal all the rockets inside! :horror :thud: now that would be worth the money imo...

dyzusyna.jpg

Yeah I agree, for me it's like it's gone backwards a bit, the MK III actually looked a fraction more metallic (though even that wasn't great).

All my hopes now rest on the EFX piece.

Their first version at SDCC 2012 was a lot like the SS paint (totally matte and basically pants):

efx-iron-man-helmet-01.JPG

But over the years it's evolving to something pretty close, my hope is by the time EFX release this they will have nailed it.

IMG_3708_zpsc668a142.jpg

Yes it needs to be brushed a bit more, I actually think they've improved it a little since SDCC 2013 but all the same most reflections in Iron Man's faceplate should be very blurry, they should never been in focus, but it's moving in the right direction at least.

The problem with the SS pieces is that they don't reflect anything at all and hence do not look metallic at all, to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park "You are planning to have some iron in your iron man aren't you?".

No one has nailed it yet but I my hope is that EFX haven't released the helmet yet because they're still trying to get it 100% right, when someone gets it right I'm all in.

The other thing is, the 'mouth' gap on the faceplate is too darn thin, look at those movie caps, it should be thicker and more recessed. EFX also messed this up in 2012 but it looks right on the 2014 version.

Yes it needs to be brushed a bit more, I actually think they've improved it a little since SDCC 2013 but all the same most reflections in Iron Man's faceplate should be very blurry, they should never been in focus, but it's moving in the right direction at least.

The problem with the SS pieces is that they don't reflect anything at all and hence do not look metallic at all, to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park "You are planning to have some iron in your iron man aren't you?".

No one has nailed it yet but I my hope is that EFX haven't released the helmet yet because they're still trying to get it 100% right, when someone gets it right I'm all in.

Yea, the correct effect is a brushed metal...wish one of these companies would kinda take this onboard when making new Iron Man helmets or busts :huh its either way too matte or way too chrome (like a mirror) :slap

I didn't think it was such a hard thing to get right, but who knows, maybe it is. The other thing is, the face plate clearly has two screws up top, how do they miss this stuff.

I didn't think it was such a hard thing to get right, but who knows, maybe it is. The other thing is, the face plate clearly has two screws up top, how do they miss this stuff.

I know right :lol both Sideshow and EFX Iron Man movie accurate products are in collaboration with Legacy Effects right? :dunno the company that was supposed to have supplied the movie with all the props...:huh

I'm starting to think that given how long this has taken SS and EFX it must be a hard one to nail. I wonder if on the 42 they'll have improved things, I get the impression the MK VII was a bit of a problem child for them given the long gestation time. I do think that when EFX do eventually release it will be when they are happy it's right but who knows when that will be.

Well no worries, until it's sorted I got plenty of other stuff to spend my money on (I'm looking at you Prime1);)

I'm starting to think that given how long this has taken SS and EFX it must be a hard one to nail. I wonder if on the 42 they'll have improved things, I get the impression the MK VII was a bit of a problem child for them given the long gestation time. I do think that when EFX do eventually release it will be when they are happy it's right but who knows when that will be.

Well no worries, until it's sorted I got plenty of other stuff to spend my money on (I'm looking at you Prime1);)

It is worrying for the MK42 project. Sideshow seemed to have had an eternity to design, build and paint a decent MKVII bust and the MK42 is arguably a more complex suit to replicate :horror plus for the first time it will include the shoulders also :panic:

I dunno, in this day and age I don't think there any excuses to not be able to recreate a brushed metallic look on statues, busts, etc...you've got the Iron Man MKVII LSF shipping in a few weeks, what's the bet that they've given that faceplate a completely different finish compared to their lifesize bust :dunno

Yeah I don't get it, for a 1000 bucks you can get a iMac which is made from Aluminium and glass and actually has a computer inside, is it too much to ask for a metallic Iron Man bust/helmet for this sort of money?

I'm really disappointed with this paintjob in this bust, is not at all like was showed in the SDCC 2013, seems a plastic toy for kids and costs 800$..., the Hot Toys bust has a really better quality and has the arc reactor, I feel like Sideshow is laughing of us :gah:

I'm really disappointed with this paintjob in this bust, is not at all like was showed in the SDCC 2013, seems a plastic toy for kids and costs 800$..., the Hot Toys bust has a really better quality and has the arc reactor, I feel like Sideshow is laughing of us :gah:

in a crazy way naraki, I actually think the production piece is painted better to the one we saw at SDCC 13 ;) if you take away the fact that the gold tones of the faceplate are different (which I prefer the gold colour of the SDCC13 version) the rest of the bust is painted much better. The reds are much more vibrant and pops out at you more unlike the SDCC version which is somewhat flat...so its not all bad ;) Its just that texture and colour of the darn faceplate that gets me frustrated :gah:

vezuve4u.jpg

Back