Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Painting Rubber Boots

I've a got a custom where I need to paint the rubber boots. I bought a vial of model paint and after hours and days of waiting for them to dry, they are still sticky. :banghead

Is there some sort of sealant I need to spray on?

Will a spray paint work?

The boots are from a Hasbro Zam Wessel figure if that helps.

Thanks for any information!

Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

You used an enamel. Very bad. Fortunately Zam is pretty cheap. I would try removing the paint but I think there is a chemical reaction that softens the plastic.
Always use acrylics.

basically to add more depth into the eye, you start with the base eye color being the darkest. Then all you do is make that color (in this case green) lighter and paint over what you already had (making sure you still keep some of the darker shade visible)

Exactly! It's a layering effect, creates an optical illusion of further depth where there really is none. It's just as Chapuchi said, just layer lighter and lighter shades atop the base circle, all the while keeping the layering visible and the highlight of the eye all in one place. You can have the highlight on the right, as I have it, or the left... whichever works best for you.

But that's basically how I have always done eyes, Takes some practice, but it's simple once you know the formula. :D

You used an enamel. Very bad. Fortunately Zam is pretty cheap. I would try removing the paint but I think there is a chemical reaction that softens the plastic.
Always use acrylics.

Thank you. :eek: I'm discovering this is trial by error. I'll just look for a pair of black boots on e-Bay. The dragon figures category has a bunch that will fit a Cy Girl figure body.

Please use Testors WATER-BASED Model Master Acryl Acrylics!
They work on almost all plastics. Clean the paint off that you used, probably with thinner, then wash it well, then use the right acrylic paints and you'll get what you want. Trust me. :rock

Please use Testors WATER-BASED Model Master Acryl Acrylics!
They work on almost all plastics. Clean the paint off that you used, probably with thinner, then wash it well, then use the right acrylic paints and you'll get what you want. Trust me. :rock

Thanks! I'll try it. I really don't need to spend any more money online this week. :D

Heres an oldie but goodie. This is definitely one of the best sources for newbies and experienced customizers.

I've learned a lot and still continue to learn from it. Now that we have even more talent here, maybe we can get more sharing of ideas!

Thanks again DA for starting this.

So how about it Mr C.Howes? Feel like bestowing any knowledge?

It may have been brought up already, but I'd like to get some pointers from DA on painting blood.

The tones and splatter-work are ridiculously good.

Nice idea Ashton! Blood is tricky. You have to mix up red, black and brown to get that particular look that blood has. I usually layer it from darkest to lightest, watered down.. to get a nice realistic effect.

As for splatters, I use a toothbrush or a wide flat paint brush to get the look. I used watered down paint.. same color as the cuts and such. Just be careful, cause it will get everywhere.

I'll have to take some pics to give you all an idea, but once you do it.. it becomes increasingly simple and effective. :rock

For all you painters out there, dumb question time. Is Testors WATER-BASED Model Master Acryl Acrylics the same as Testors Model Master Enamel?

No, they are different. The enamel is the smelly model paint, while the Acryl is a vastly superior acrylic paint.

For all you painters out there, dumb question time. Is Testors WATER-BASED Model Master Acryl Acrylics the same as Testors Model Master Enamel?

Acrylics are water based, enamels are oil based. Stay away from enamels unless you're painting model cars.

Hey I just found this thread---what a great thing--I am amazed at the work you people do--
Question--I have a blank Mighty Mugg have I want to paint ( a character that I leave on notes for my wife)--What is the best way to paint? Or should I just get some Sharpies and draw my character on the Mugg?
Thanks
Avfin:chew

Nice idea Ashton! Blood is tricky. You have to mix up red, black and brown to get that particular look that blood has. I usually layer it from darkest to lightest, watered down.. to get a nice realistic effect.

As for splatters, I use a toothbrush or a wide flat paint brush to get the look. I used watered down paint.. same color as the cuts and such. Just be careful, cause it will get everywhere.

I'll have to take some pics to give you all an idea, but once you do it.. it becomes increasingly simple and effective. :rock

Thanks, buddy. I've been playing around for a while with black & red, so I guess brown was the missing ingredient.

Never really thought about actually splatter-painting the blood splatters, as dumb as that sounds, because of the mess alone :lol

I think a toothpick will actually work quite well though in helping to minimize the disaster-zone.

:whip

Doh! Anzik Hayes and TheObsoleteman thanks for the clarification. I was using the wrong paint all this time! No wonder I had a hard time with these paints and always felt the cheap water based stuff from Walmart was easier to work with.

Thanks a bunch. Now I hope the store has the water based stuff!

i started a thread asking this a while back, but only one person answered, and i thank him, but i still want more info.

What is the best thing to use to make sculpt, and also more importantly, a cast of a head with. I would really like to know, before i have to start another new thread and bore you all to death. I know about gedeo silligum, but not really about anything else. Someone out there, please help me.

i started a thread asking this a while back, but only one person answered, and i thank him, but i still want more info.

What is the best thing to use to make sculpt, and also more importantly, a cast of a head with. I would really like to know, before i have to start another new thread and bore you all to death. I know about gedeo silligum, but not really about anything else. Someone out there, please help me.

I guess the best medium to sculpt in would be what you prefer best. A lot of guys just use super sculpy mixed with either gray or dark green and some black.

I've been trying out some harder stuff like casteline wax, and hard Chavant. Its easier to get more detail in this scale with the harder material.

Casteline wax I believe is what the pros use.

As far as casting material Smooth cast from Smooth-on and Aluminite are both great choices. You can also learn a lot about molding and casting on both the Smooth on and Aluminite web pages.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Check this out:
https://www.absculpture.com/tutorials.htm

Thanks, buddy. I've been playing around for a while with black & red, so I guess brown was the missing ingredient.

Never really thought about actually splatter-painting the blood splatters, as dumb as that sounds, because of the mess alone :lol

I think a toothpick will actually work quite well though in helping to minimize the disaster-zone.

:whip

Yeah, I've started to use my other hand to shield my work area from splatter. :lol

Toothpick might work, but you lose the random chaos of actual natural splatter effect... and it might kill the overall look.

And Brown in blood mix is key, since real life blood is more brown than red.

Back