Asmus Toys - Thranduil

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the heads up superdoug...looks pretty cool!

Thranduil.jpg

Yes! Need another Elf and he is looking really cool with the rooted hair and double swords. Instant pre-order for me when this goes up.

Glad they went with him in 5 Armies battle mode too, the armor on his arms looks super cool.

Cool way to pose Galdalf as well, wonder if their bridge base will actually work like that or if they rigged it special. I could see it coming off one of my Detolfs or something.

I'm totally down for every Middle Earth figure Asmus puts out and have bought or pre-ordered them all thus far. But George did mention in one of the other threads that the Hobbit figures haven't been putting up great sales/pre-order numbers though. But I'm still hopeful for more Hobbit figures. Would really love to see a great Thranduil and will definitely buy any version of Thorin.

OMG. Hi. Just joined so I think this is my second post. But been lurking 'round for a while and keeping an eye on ASMUS. Couldn't be happier about what they're doing. Re sales if they can pull the sculpts off, I'm getting multiple Thranduil AND Thorin, so I can do different costumes, as needed. And hopefully Hobbit Bilbo. I'm getting Gandalf, from what I've seen. I'd get Bard except I can't see spending money on a lesser-favorite vs. favorites FIRST. Bard is on my list too. I didn't buy him as he isn't a top favorite for me, so I wouldn't put in a pre-order anyway. I'd wait until he's in stock.

Re sales, that's frustrating for me, for any company. IMO you can't say we put character "X" out and it didn't sell well - if it's a major character - and say so and so "isn't popular" IF THE PRODUCT IS QUESTIONABLE. Some folks will buy character representations no matter what, other people aren't bothered, but if Thorin/Thranduil/Gandalf/Bilbo come out and have huge fat cheeks or something, I'm gonna be thinking really hard, before I spend. So IMO ASMUS is doing it right, taking their time.

I look at the early LOTR stuff and IMO some of it is just plain awful. And it's real disappointing when you love a character and want to collect a piece, but a sculpt is so bad you just can't do it. And you can't figure out why a company doesn't tinker with the sculpt when everyone can see the same thing.

A great sculpt can get folks off the fence, IMO. Just lurking around this forum - well, ASMUS has been dealing w. body issues, production issues, paint issues from the looks of things. Then they put out an amazing Saruman. Thorin and Thranduil need to be that good - no strange paint colors (not too dark or kabuki makeup), decent bodies, and for me rooted hair, please. But the sculpt is the thing. No weird hairlines/foreheads/oversized noses/crossed eyes and all that.

I'd rather ASMUS take their time and work the kinks out. It's a huge opportunity for ASMUS if they can get the likenesses, to fill in some LOTR/Hobbit collecting gaps. I like doing diorama displays - I'd love to set up Gandalf and Thorin in Bree. Bilbo on his bench. Thranduil in Dale.
Get it right and they've already sold these figs, for me.

Come on ASMUS, you can do it! :)

BTW, since I'm new - the comments on Aragorn's "conehead" had me rolling LOL but IMO it's an amazing Aragorn and even more amazing modded with hair - I'm hoping Thorin and Thranduil are that good.

This looks real slick. The range in the elbow bend is ace. Can't say I care much for the character, or much of the Hobbit films, but when I see good work I call it.

Wasn't that crazy about the overstuffed trilogy, but this looks good. However I'll wait for in-hand reviews.

Do Asmus figures look mostly the same at release as they do in production photos? Because I'm interested in this one.

I'm just happy i can get my hands on a 1/6 elven king figure from a book i first read 30 years ago lol.

That looks TERRIFIC!

They've even managed to capture Lee Pace's majestic eyebrows!

Seriously, though, that outfit looks great. I'm especially impressed with the snakeskin texture on the fabric.

Hoping to get a better look at the diorama base, too. I love that Asmus is doing the sculpted bases.

I too wasn't a big fan of the Hobbit trilogy and, other then Smaug, don't have a desire to collect any figures... BUT this one looks so fantastic that I may change my mind.

I feel the same about the films, plus I liked Balin as well. Beorn was perfect until he started skydiving.

The outfit and armor on Thranduil look very nice, but I'm not seeing the likeness at all. Compared to the photo behind the figure, the differences are pretty clear (mouth, nose, etc.).

I was trying to stick the LOTR movies as most here, but man this is indeed tempting....Wish Asmus would make Gollum already though

Back