ASMUS toys: Mouth of Sauron

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm mainly a collector of Hot Toys but I'm seriously considering preordering this on sideshow. It looks really, really awesome. Can anyone who owns Asmus figures tell me how the bodies hold up? Do the figs have solid, good quality bodies and materials? I really like the look of the ringwraiths and orcs too.

I'm mainly a collector of Hot Toys but I'm seriously considering preordering this on sideshow. It looks really, really awesome. Can anyone who owns Asmus figures tell me how the bodies hold up? Do the figs have solid, good quality bodies and materials? I really like the look of the ringwraiths and orcs too.

Asmus has had some significant problems with the quality of their bodies; best example of this is the Morgul Lord who initially came with a body that actually had electrical tape around it. However, Asmus has been working to improve their product, and in the example of the Morgul Lord, came up with a replacement body that wasn't Hot Toys quality, but was an improvement.

The wonderful thing about the Asmus LOTR figures is that they are a heck of a lot of fun to work with. These figures are being produced by people that interact with and listen to the people collecting these figures.

With Mouth of Sauron, many of us are waiting to see how the steed turns out here, as the previous one that was released to go with the Nazgul figure also had issues.

The previous Nazgul and Steed is one of my favorite pieces. Yes, it takes futzing and work to get it to look great, but the bones are there. I enjoy working with figures so Asmus provides lots of fun in that way. If you do not like futzing and prefer a HT style figure that's ready-to-go out of the box, you may be initially disappointed.

All of the Asmus figs have been disappointing out the box but a little futzing gets em right in line! Could they use a little more finesse out the factory? Yes. But they are pretty well made figures.

The horse's legs are always in the same position so wondering about articulation... the stand that is visible in the convention display looks like a standard LOTR base. Wonder how that all works. It would be nice to have a nice stable horse but hoping the head still moves a bit.

I am anxious for him to ship.

The horse's legs are always in the same position so wondering about articulation... the stand that is visible in the convention display looks like a standard LOTR base. Wonder how that all works. It would be nice to have a nice stable horse but hoping the head still moves a bit.

I am anxious for him to ship.

I'm pretty sure I can see joints on the horses legs in the one photo. Time will tell.

Horse's front legs look further apart -- which is a good thing. My Nazgul horse has been standing fine for over a year without a stand but the hooves are so close together I always fear I'll come home one day and he'll be toppled over.

Horse's front legs look further apart -- which is a good thing. My Nazgul horse has been standing fine for over a year without a stand but the hooves are so close together I always fear I'll come home one day and he'll be toppled over.

The problem with mine were the rear legs. So it's living with a plastic roll of tape between them since the beginning....probably I could remove it now...

The problem with mine were the rear legs. So it's living with a plastic roll of tape between them since the beginning....probably I could remove it now...

Is this flocked? Warming up back end and legs (not melting - hot water/blow dryer), bracing, and letting it cool doesn't work?

Mine has fallen over. He is on the top of a Detolf but remained up there luckily so no damage. The Nazgul himself was dangling from the foot hoops off the side. Unfortunately they threw the Witch King off onto the floor though. He survived.

My horse and rider went tumbling all the way from the top of the detolf crashing to the floor. And he was using the dodgy stand at the time too. Thankfully the horse was undamaged. The riders armour needed a bit of gluing though.

Really wish they'd gone with non-articulated legs for the horse on this one.

Since it doesn't appear to be flocked, I may just use some sculpting epoxy and glue/fill/sculpt in the joints permanently. Should be a relatively simple mod. A paint touch-up and MoS should be nice and stable.

Still haven't picked up a Ringwraith/Steed set yet. But I plan to down the road a bit. (Man, I wish Sideshow had those available so I could use their Flex plan.) Not sure how to approach modding that horse, though because of the flocking ...

Back