Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice review!

Loved your review, BrooklynWolf X, especially the map intro! :lol

Excellent

Wow great review ! Can see the time and effort with the music, editing, and lighting.

Thank you for taking time to create it.

Awesome review and LOVE that all the other characters are looking at GtG as if he is the bomb!!!!

Thanks for the compliments and views guys!!

Ordered Gandalf before Galadriel but got the Galadriel invoice today, still no Gandalf.
Ordered both around this time last year.
Any other Gandalf early adopters still waiting for an invoice?

Ordered Gandalf before Galadriel but got the Galadriel invoice today, still no Gandalf.

Yeah I?m still waiting. Order Gandalf within minutes of going up for preorder but still no invoice and same story with Galadriel and elven warrior and archer.
Not sure what?s going on lol

You many want to email Asmus. I didn't get an invoice for a figure once and they emailed me the link as soon as I emailed them.

Life_m2000 it is because Asmus cannot ship from Taiwan to uk.
Once the restriction lifts we will get our invoices, Asmus told me themselves

You also get a pop up on their website when you visit it telling you exactly that.

Did that work on Crown GtG??

The figure I emailed about was Faramir, but it is probably worth emailing just to get an updated status. They may still be waiting for more stock for GtG, but they seem to have moved through most of the pre-orders by now.

Thanks for the info.
I?m in Ireland and knew there were some restrictions in shipping so I emailed them requesting a courier instead.
At this stage I?m probably better off waiting a grouping my 4 preorders in to one delivery.

Thanks for the info.
I?m in Ireland and knew there were some restrictions in shipping so I emailed them requesting a courier instead.
At this stage I?m probably better off waiting a grouping my 4 preorders in to one delivery.

Yeh I don?t think it?s cheap for alternative shipping so unfortunately will have to wait.

Well, I finally started to set up my Crown Gandalf the Grey set and I have to say that it is both one of the potentially best looking and one of the most frustrating figures that I've ever come across.

I decided to start off working on the cool looking display base, figuring that I could warm up with that first and then get to the actual figure.

Well, after spending considerable time wrestling with the different posts, (the two for the gate and the one mailbox), I felt like flinging the damn thing across the room. The pegs on the posts just didn't fit the slots on the base, at least mine didn't. I had to pound the two gate posts until they were wedged in by brute force. By the way, I made sure that they were facing the correct way.

The worst is the mailbox. It just won't fit in the slot. I didn't want to risk damaging it so left it off, which is a shame. In the end, it won't be used at this time, as Gandalf barely fits on the base. Between the gate, foliage and steps, he just looked crowded on it. I sincerely hope that we get an Ian Holm "Bilbo" soon, as I will display him there, instead. Fortunately, I had previously purchased several of Asmus's "Lord of the Rings" figure bases and am displaying Gandalf on that, instead.

Moving on towards the figure itself, it truly is amazing but certainly not straight out of the box. The sculpt and paint apps are wonderful. Unfortunately, whomever packed in my Gandalf head sculpt must have been behind on his boxing quota that day because it appeared to have been quickly jammed into the foam packaging without much care and the hair was not neatly in place. I'm going to have to review this thread again and see how best to work the hair. It isn't terrible but definitely needs some futzing.

His outfit and shoes are fantastic but I don't plan on him wearing the outer cloak, as he looks too bulky. The hat or head magnet is off-centered, so the hat slides down towards the front of this head. Not a problem for me, as I don't plan on him wearing the hat, either.

Balin's book is super-cool. It has actual pages with writing on it. Amazing detailing.

There are a large assortment of hands included, although the non-clutching ones seem to me to be over-sized. I just kept the hands that he came with.

Again, the potential is there to be one of the best stock figures ever released. I just am going to have to spend considerable time futzing with the figure and the base and hopefully get both looking and functioning as intended. But at the price point, I shouldn't need to, or at least the effort should be minimal. There really is no excuse for the ill fitting posts on the base, and for the amazing head sculpt not to have been inserted a bit more carefully. In contrast, both Gimli and Boromir were fantastic right out of the box and both had "faux" hair.

I'm truly hoping that I don't have similar experiences with Galadriel and her intricate hair...

No pics posted, as I want to first work on this one and get it looking how it should.

Yeah I have to agree about the base. Even aside from the poor execution and how wobbly the whole thing is, the design is just far too busy for my taste and obscures too much of the figure. And plus it feels like it would be a much better base for Bilbo than Gandalf anyway.

Speaking of which, has there been any talk by Asmus of making an Ian Holm Bilbo at some point? Because that's the Bilbo I'd really like to have.

Yeah as someone who doesn't have the figure but by judging by the pics on here and YouTube vids,you can see that the base is very busy!!
Needs to be wider all the way around.
Definitely more suited for Bilbo.
Best case scenario would be if the Holms Bilbo comes with his home door as a base,that way you could pose GtG in front of it instead and use Bilbo for the gate base.

I found a wet, soft, tooth brush does wonders for the hair/beard.

Thanks! I'll definitely be trying that.

Yeah I have to agree about the base. Even aside from the poor execution and how wobbly the whole thing is, the design is just far too busy for my taste and obscures too much of the figure. And plus it feels like it would be a much better base for Bilbo than Gandalf anyway.

Speaking of which, has there been any talk by Asmus of making an Ian Holm Bilbo at some point? Because that's the Bilbo I'd really like to have.

I don't think there has been any official talk from Asmus regarding an Ian Holm Bilbo but I'm sure it will eventually be made. Definitely will save this base for that Bilbo.

Yeah as someone who doesn't have the figure but by judging by the pics on here and YouTube vids,you can see that the base is very busy!!
Needs to be wider all the way around.
Definitely more suited for Bilbo.
Best case scenario would be if the Holms Bilbo comes with his home door as a base,that way you could pose GtG in front of it instead and use Bilbo for the gate base.

That would be a great idea. Swap out the bases. You can have Gandalf holding his staff against the door. This will work for both trilogies:
- LotR: He knocks on the door.
- The Hobbit: He scratches the mark on the door that the Dwarves will identify.

I just thought of something. Perhaps I can try to switch the direction of the gate posts so that the sign is facing the opposite way. In other words, have the figure stand at the front with the gate and sign at the back. That would block less of the view of the figure. I'm not sure that it will work but will give it a try.

Back