Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, you really need to post a picture of those three together for comparison. It will become the internet go-to reference.
Already did it. Except I've replaced the Asmus V1 with a custom sculpt. The Sideshow now has the V1 sculpt. FB_IMG_1616286603424.jpgFB_IMG_1616286605810.jpgFB_IMG_1616286607788.jpgFB_IMG_1616286610127.jpgFB_IMG_1616286619812.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The PERS honestly aren't needed for any figure.

Of the figures that have them like Jack Sparrow, how many people do you think actually use them? If I had to guess, I'd say 90% of people never used the feature more than once, and 98% of people probably haven't used the feature except for the rare display change. It's just unnecessary unless you're taking constant photos of your figure, which most of us aren't.

There's more that can go wrong than right with the PERS system. It's an unnecessary feature. Hopefully Asmus stays away from them for all future releases. They're just now starting to break out as a top of the line capable producer. No need to dabble in complex and unneeded things like moveable eyes on a sixth scale figure.
I have had
Dx01
Dx02
Dx05
Dx06
Dx07
Dx08
Dx09
Dx10
Dx11
Dx12
Dx13
Dx15

And I used and have displayed them using the PERS on every one of them. Minus the Dx10 (displayed with the shades).

They all add another level of personality and display more realistically when they are able to look in any direction. Something that can not be done with out them.

So I'm all for them continuing the Movable eyes feature.

I have had
Dx01
Dx02
Dx05
Dx06
Dx07
Dx08
Dx09
Dx10
Dx11
Dx12
Dx13
Dx15

And I used and have displayed them using the PERS on every one of them. Minus the Dx10 (displayed with the shades).

They all add another level of personality and display more realistically when they are able to look in any direction. Something that can not be done with out them.

So I'm all for them continuing the Movable eyes feature.

The hot toys pers can be a hit or miss depending on the figure. On this figure it unfortunately is more of a miss. The eyeballs are simply set too deep.

The PERS honestly aren't needed for any figure.

Of the figures that have them like Jack Sparrow, how many people do you think actually use them? If I had to guess, I'd say 90% of people never used the feature more than once, and 98% of people probably haven't used the feature except for the rare display change. It's just unnecessary unless you're taking constant photos of your figure, which most of us aren't.

There's more that can go wrong than right with the PERS system. It's an unnecessary feature. Hopefully Asmus stays away from them for all future releases. They're just now starting to break out as a top of the line capable producer. No need to dabble in complex and unneeded things like moveable eyes on a sixth scale figure.

Just because you don't use this feature doesn't mean 98%? 90% of people don't use this function? Based on what statistic? On the few posters you've seen on Facebook and forums? I have multiple figures from HT or Enterbay that you can move the eyes, and none of them stare dead straight. Its not just DX, there are HT figures like HULK, Alita Battle Angel, Mars Attacks, QS 1/4th Dark Knight Batman that i own that have this function.

Yes the eye rolling system is not implemented perfectly. Enterbay and HT have missed the mark on early attempts and learn from them. If you pose your figures properly, you find that moving the eyes in the right angle elevates the head sculpt as most do look better from a certain angle. So moving the eyes to accompany that angle boosts up the accuracy.

Final thing, can some posters stop calling it PERS? PERS is a HT patent that refers to that little stick thing on DX figures. If its not HT, and doesn't have the control stick locked in its not a PERS. Then again... freedom of speech yadda yadda yadda... keep calling it, just know you're wrong :dunno

The hot toys pers can be a hit or miss depending on the figure. On this figure it unfortunately is more of a miss. The eyeballs are simply set too deep.
I think the true issue is Ian's eyelids cast a shadow over the eyes which is being mistaken to be the "pers" fault. SDCC13_-_Ian_McKellen.jpg

View attachment 509141View attachment 509142

Last edited:
Just because you don't use this feature doesn't mean 98%? 90% of people don't use this function? Based on what statistic? On the few posters you've seen on Facebook and forums? I have multiple figures from HT or Enterbay that you can move the eyes, and none of them stare dead straight. Its not just DX, there are HT figures like HULK, Alita Battle Angel, Mars Attacks, QS 1/4th Dark Knight Batman that i own that have this function.

Yes the eye rolling system is not implemented perfectly. Enterbay and HT have missed the mark on early attempts and learn from them. If you pose your figures properly, you find that moving the eyes in the right angle elevates the head sculpt as most do look better from a certain angle. So moving the eyes to accompany that angle boosts up the accuracy.

Final thing, can some posters stop calling it PERS? PERS is a HT patent that refers to that little stick thing on DX figures. If its not HT, and doesn't have the control stick locked in its not a PERS. Then again... freedom of speech yadda yadda yadda... keep calling it, just know you're wrong :dunno
I call it "pers" just for simplicity sake. [emoji38]

I’m still working on my video review of this figure, and I have to say, it’s one of the more challenging reviews so far. I love the hair, but constantly having to adjust it for shots is tiresome. This isn’t a knock on the figure. I’m just whining because I tend to put my figures through various poses and the hair just goes all over the place and I have to fix it every time lol.

The other challenge comes from...yup, you all guessed it, the eyes. Gotta get the right angle for both the camera and lights.

Hopefully it’ll look good though.

I am enjoying it so far. It’s not without its issues, but it’s a great figure nonetheless.

I think the true issue is Ian's eyelids cast a shadow over the eyes which is being mistaken to be the "pers" fault.

But the figures eyes still don't look like that. There's just a noticeable black gap between the eyes and the socket on the figure and the paint job doesn't do them any favours either. The prototype is basically perfect. If it looked like the prototype this would be a 10/10 figure, but it doesn't.

Tailoring looks great, rooted hair and beard look great, detail on the face looks great, but those eyes are dead and that's what I notice the most when I look at this figure.

In some previous pictures posted in here where shadow is cast over the eyes so you can barely see them, it looks great, but when you can see them it just doesn't work.

I think the true issue is Ian's eyelids cast a shadow over the eyes which is being mistaken to be the "pers" fault. View attachment 509140

View attachment 509141View attachment 509142

The eyes are not even close to being flush with the sockets. The shadows certainly do not help, but the bottom line is that this was not implemented well. Ian has deep eyes but not like this. The eye is also more flush on his right side than on the left.

Regardless with some work this can be made to look really good.

Last edited:
The eyes are not even close to being flush with the sockets. The shadows certainly do not help, but the bottom line is that this was not implemented well. Ian has deep eyes but not like this. The eye is also more flush on his right side than on the left.

I'm wondering if the eyes can be yanked out and replaced with high quality glass eyes. Personally don't need to change the eyes up for this fig.

Man that is what I was thinking, disappointing as this was so close to perfection.

Glad people are overall happy with this figure. I had wishlisted it but have since decided not to buy, just a personal cost benefit analysis. From a distance, on display, this figure looks pretty good and will certainly be the last 1/6 scale Gandalf for quite some time. If/when Asmus revisits Saruman I hope they stay away from the movable eyes. And perhaps the straighter hair of that character will lend itself better to their process, if rooted hair is where Asmus stays.

Yeah it is possible to push them in more to improve the look somewhat (as anytime you move the eyes they tend to sink deeper into the socket), but still not enough to make it look natural.

The good thing though is you can at least pop out the eyes completely to make it easier to repaint.

The PERS system clearly wasn't required for this figure because I've still yet to see a single person use it in their photos.

The PERS system clearly wasn't required for this figure because I've still yet to see a single person use it in their photos.
I actually did fixed them looking off to the right. I'll post pictures tomorrow. It honestly doesn't show on camera needs to be in natural light.

Back