Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that's all fine, but another part of collecting figures is being able to take cool photos of them, or sharing some cool pose that we might be proud of. So are you saying we should just not bother with that at all with this figure?

And at least personally, I've yet to own a figure that looked dramatically different in hand than it did in pics.
You can obviously see from several of these in hand photos that you CAN get good shots of this figure. It's just not "easy".

Also, I don't know about you but at the end of the day the only reason I collect is to have these figures displayed in my collection where I can look at them in person. Not sit and stare at Macro shots online to pick out all the flaws.

Or worse, crappy cell phone pics with crap lighting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can obviously see from several of these in hand photos that you CAN get good shots of this figure. It's just not "easy".

Also, I don't know about you but at the end of the day the only reason I collect is to have these figures displayed in my collection where I can look at them in person. Not sit and stare at Macro shots online to pick out all the flaws.

Or worse, crappy cell phone pics with crap lighting.

Yeah but should it really be THIS difficult to take a good pic of a $350 figure so that the eyes don't look weird and creepy?

There's no question this is a huge step up from the previous Gandalf figure, but I'm not going to pretend there aren't issues here. Of course I'm also not a super massive LOTR fan like all you guys, so I'm not as emotionally invested and am just approaching this like with any other high-end figure.

And for what it's worth I DO think there's a lot of potential here after a bit of modding.:)

Yeah but should it really be THIS difficult to take a good pic of a $350 figure so that the eyes don't look weird and creepy?

There's no question this is a huge step up from the previous Gandalf figure, but I'm not going to pretend there aren't issues here. Of course I'm also not a super massive LOTR fan like all you guys, so I'm not as emotionally invested and am just approaching this like with any other high-end figure.

And for what it's worth I DO think there's a lot of potential here after a bit of modding.:)
Since most people can't even pose their figures properly let along real hair and getting the lighting right I think you will see more pics looking less flattering than they should just because people don't know how to futz.

Just found some more pics on Facebook. FB_IMG_1615477263024.jpgFB_IMG_1615477266442.jpgFB_IMG_1615477269372.jpgFB_IMG_1615477279776.jpgFB_IMG_1615477408309.jpgFB_IMG_1615477410878.jpgFB_IMG_1615477413244.jpgFB_IMG_1615477423912.jpg

Most of the photos posted have creepy eyes or one eye to far in the socket. If it looks good in person when I get it, then I don't care about the photos.

For this price, the eyes are disappointing. Asmus tried to give us more bang for our bucks and it ended up having the reverse effect. I don't have my invoice yet so I can't tell if the figure is good in person.

Those are pretty decent photos.

I am one of those collectors where its very important for me to photograph them. I'm a product photographer and take photos of 1/6 scale figs as a hobby, so that's mainly where my enjoyment comes from having these. They are more like props to me than display pieces. I'm still going to roll the dice and see how it looks in hand and see what I'll be able to do with him.

That said, there are figures that are easy to get great photos of and look wonderful in many lighting conditions (For example something like Guardians Gamora Vol. 2, or Threezero Tyrion), then there are ones that require "myspace profile camera angles and lighting" type trickery to look half way decent. Unfortunately the latter seems to be the case here. I'm a little bit bummed but hoping it'll turn out better in person.

Trust me I'll be happy to be proven wrong and will post shots I take here like I normally do, and will eat my words if he turns out amazing.

Since most people can't even pose their figures properly let along real hair and getting the lighting right I think you will see more pics looking less flattering than they should just because people don't know how to futz.

Just found some more pics on Facebook.

I seen these this morning on FB. Beautiful shots.

Doesn't seem like anyone has even bothered to use the eyes feature yet. Might look better if he wasn't looking dead on.

Just received my gandalf..is a nice figure..just a bit disappointed about the eye and the hat...eye ball easily pop out when adjust, not easy to put back also..dress abit thick, and lot of small problems...well, still the best gandalf in the market XD
dac1d6e8ecc6a7af09d9ba56e6b8685e.jpg
e0ed3ed770331cec9f029357bf60c408.jpg
67046f034296c8c49babe6b5e7aff743.jpg
4a001df5ec17532e0999f1b531f8a23f.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Just received my gandalf..is a nice figure..just a bit disappointed about the eye and the hat...eye ball easily pop out when adjust, not easy to put back also..dress abit thick, and lot of small problems...well, still the best gandalf in the market XD
dac1d6e8ecc6a7af09d9ba56e6b8685e.jpg
e0ed3ed770331cec9f029357bf60c408.jpg
67046f034296c8c49babe6b5e7aff743.jpg
4a001df5ec17532e0999f1b531f8a23f.jpg

Wow your eye popped out? I was messing with mine the other day and tried pulling in them to see how easily it would be to remove and they didn't want to do I didn't force them any farther. Maybe yours wasn't inserted all the way which caused it to fall out?

Wow your eye popped out? I was messing with mine the other day and tried pulling in them to see how easily it would be to remove and they didn't want to do I didn't force them any farther. Maybe yours wasn't inserted all the way which caused it to fall out?

I try my best to pull in hardly, although not very firm too..maybe is a bit defected head... still ok for me..but futz the beard kill me, I try water treatment, adjust... finally still the same..I just want twisted beard[emoji28]

I was on the verge of buying this Gandalf a couple of days ago when I saw it available again on Asmus site... but then I stopped after watching some of the last pictures posted. Yes, it's the best Gandalf figure on the market without any doubt, yet it is different from the prototype, which was nearly perfect in any aspect.
In some photos, especially looking at it from the side, it looks so good! But face to face I cannot help but noticing the weird "make-up"-ish look it conveys. I don't know if the major issue is with the eyes or maybe with the painting. What do you guys think about it? Are you fully satisfied with the outcome?

I was on the verge of buying this Gandalf a couple of days ago when I saw it available again on Asmus site... but then I stopped after watching some of the last pictures posted. Yes, it's the best Gandalf figure on the market without any doubt, yet it is different from the prototype, which was nearly perfect in any aspect.
In some photos, especially looking at it from the side, it looks so good! But face to face I cannot help but noticing the weird "make-up"-ish look it conveys. I don't know if the major issue is with the eyes or maybe with the painting. What do you guys think about it? Are you fully satisfied with the outcome?
It's in my top five favorite figures in the collection.

I look forward to seeing all the "looking for Asmus Crown Gandalf for a decent price" posts when this thing is long sold out and fetch double and triple the price on the after market.

If the price is around 150-170, I would said is the good deal, must grab...but 350usd[emoji23] .I think this figure just for gandalf fans...or some skillfull collector..if really need one 1/6 gandalf, and don't mind non moveable..I recommended weta gandalf statue...this asmus figure need so much care, and many small issue need to deal with..

This is 7 years old asmus gandalf the white..the eye's still look battter than this new grey gandalf[emoji23] I still remember this figure only cost me around 125usd....
6cbecc7d9abc212751af1be2a19f60f8.jpg

Back