Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair, there was a lot of issues raised on here directly to Asmus in regards to them reusing their previous Hobbit era Gandalf. Mainly centred around the clothing due to the incorrect/poor choice of materials on the belts, buckles and problems with the length of the robes etc on the original version. They said would be taking all those issues to their design team and see if they can tweak them before release.

I wholeheartedly agree that you can't just stick a new headsculpt on a figure then charge a Deluxe price for it without improving everything else, especially when they have proven that they can add a lot of important extras (metal buckles, better belts, boots etc) to their regular figures and still charge the same price point but demand more for a slightly updated older figure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

:exactly:

The tailoring is the reason why I still haven't pulled the trigger. It just doesn't look premium for me so far...

:exactly:

The tailoring is the reason why I still haven't pulled the trigger. It just doesn't look premium for me so far...

Exactly. I own one Asmus Hobbit Gandalf, and I will probably own another Crown one (he is one of my favourite book characters ever). But the fabrics of the clothing always seemed truly inaccurate to me, too stiff, due mostly to their density. In the films, Gandalfs clothes look quite light and old in comparison to Asmus representation, which in the age of microfibers is just a miss. ACI nailed it in this respect with their Nazgul, and a ASMUS Crown Series Gandalf at that price point should not be less.
This being said, I think that ASMUS is proving to be one the best 1/6 companies at the moment, specially in the way they are listening to their fans while keeping prices reasonably fair.

I think Eomer may have marked a turning point for Asmus in that it seemed far more of the figure was just cast in soft plastic. It looks very detailed but the finish is a little dull and lacking in texture- plus I love the mixed medium effect of older figures. The transition from one material to another adds a lot of realism to the outfits. I notice the belt and buckle on the new Elrond are all a single sculpted piece and it just seems a bit lazy. If armour is going to just be cast in a single plastic piece then the paint apps need to do more work.
Grown Gandalf really needs to deliver on quality or the crown series will be DOA.

Question to Asmus

I only just noticed the crown edition Gandalf only comes with two staffs instead of three, the hobbit staff and the first staff from fellowship of the ring, he is missing his most iconic Moria staff he battled the balrog with, although your photo on your site says it?s that staff but it is not.

I thought for the price point and the title of crown we would receive all the staffs used by the character on screen.

I hope you consider this please I would much rather that Moria staff than either of the other two.

Question to Asmus

I only just noticed the crown edition Gandalf only comes with two staffs instead of three, the hobbit staff and the first staff from fellowship of the ring, he is missing his most iconic Moria staff he battled the balrog with, although your photo on your site says it?s that staff but it is not.

I thought for the price point and the title of crown we would receive all the staffs used by the character on screen.

I hope you consider this please I would much rather that Moria staff than either of the other two.
I think they confirmed earlier in the thread that he would come with both Fellowship staffs. Also, he needs to come with the hoodless robe he wears from Rivendell into Moria. It gets overlooked as a part of his costume as it looks similar to his regular cloak but it did come with the old Sideshow GTG as an exclusive so it definitely should be included here.
52357e2cc54529a356d5c6106063a9dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Exactly. I own one Asmus Hobbit Gandalf, and I will probably own another Crown one (he is one of my favourite book characters ever). But the fabrics of the clothing always seemed truly inaccurate to me, too stiff, due mostly to their density. In the films, Gandalfs clothes look quite light and old in comparison to Asmus representation, which in the age of microfibers is just a miss. ACI nailed it in this respect with their Nazgul, and a ASMUS Crown Series Gandalf at that price point should not be less.
This being said, I think that ASMUS is proving to be one the best 1/6 companies at the moment, specially in the way they are listening to their fans while keeping prices reasonably fair.

Wow, I thought GTG costume was fantastic. Was especially impressed with the volume of material of the cloak, the pattern on the pants, a hat that actually works...not disagreeing with anyone's comments, 'coz wasn't looking at that level of detail. ASMUS' generous use of materials impresses me as so many companies cheap out or don't care, and then u get cloaks that are skimpy and don't drape properly; jackets that fit so tight the figure arms can't move; pants that are annoyingly short, and so on. Imagine one of the issues of 1/6 scale materials is being able to stitch without it falling apart:horror. Gauzy light materials can fray or just rip at the seams - IMO horrible in production, probably. Surprised HT gets away with some of the very light cotton canvas? it uses for some costumes.

Plus the staffs and stand...as u say, for a reasonable cost. I happily ordered the Crown Gandalf and really hope to get a second sculpt thru ASMUS. Wish I could get a second Crown Gandalf but just can't swing the $$$$. Metal buckles would be good!

I don't remember what issues there were with Gandalfs boots. Of course tight joints are a MUST for the body, for me. Loose joints/ankles are a big pet peeve of mine. :horror

I'm not expecting them to revamp everything they've done before costume-wise, but I'm happy to pay an extra hundred for a top quality likeness. I liked the existing Gandalf costume just fine. Nothing about it bugged me. But if they can pull off production heads that look as good as that proto, then it's well worth the price to me. Because you couldn't touch a custom at that level for that price.

Just my two cents.

I'm not expecting them to revamp everything they've done before costume-wise, but I'm happy to pay an extra hundred for a top quality likeness. I liked the existing Gandalf costume just fine. Nothing about it bugged me. But if they can pull off production heads that look as good as that proto, then it's well worth the price to me. Because you couldn't touch a custom at that level for that price.

Just my two cents.

That's for sure. For some figs like Hela I just hafta go without:crying:crying:crying

And my own sculpting skills are well below a 5 year old with Play-doh.

This is expected to ship in Q1 right?

Wonder if we?ll get this in February or March?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im very late to this thread, was the new head going to be sold seperately ? If yes have I missed it ?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Im very late to this thread, was the new head going to be sold seperately ? If yes have I missed it ?

Welcome! No, the head has not been sold nor shipped yet. It is supposed to be made available for purchase once the full Gandalf has been released. Hoping we get some news on the process soon! I'm waiting anxiously to upgrade my GtG V.1!

Welcome! No, the head has not been sold nor shipped yet. It is supposed to be made available for purchase once the full Gandalf has been released. Hoping we get some news on the process soon! I'm waiting anxiously to upgrade my GtG V.1!
Thank you ! You're a legend !

Has Asmus shown any pictures of the new body type that they are using for this piece? I am very curious about that.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Back