Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New HS is sculpting now,
we will see a new GtW head,
and a new GtG HS.

they are also 2 separate HS, and interestingly,
not by the same sculptor.

Of course not. We will pay many dollars to get a new head from same company. Why? Because capitalism.

Of course not. We will pay many dollars to get a new head from same company. Why? Because capitalism.

If you buy Gandalf the Grey and owns a Gandalf the white,
you will receive a free Gandalf the white head.

It will also be available to sell separately on our web store.

It seems like you guys are doing this on purpose to squeeze more money out of people. Oops crappy body but you'll get 1 with the next fig. Oops wrong head cos we couldn't tell after making ton's of them that it was squished and obviously wrong but you can get a free 1 with the next fig. What's next are the hobbits gonna be 2" to tall but we'll get replacement legs with the next fig?

Last edited:
It seems like you guys are doing this on purpose to squeeze more money out of people. Oops crappy body but you'll get 1 with the next fig. Oops wrong head cos we couldn't tell after making ton's of them that it was squished and obviously wrong but you can get a free 1 with the next fig. What's next are the hobbits gonna be 2" to tall but we'll get replacement legs with the next fig?

:lol Asmus could easily have not bothered fixing anything and leaving collectors with no options at all though. As far as I know, none of the Asmus figures have sold out at PO - it's easy enough to wait for in-hand pics and reviews before purchasing. Hot Toys collectors are generally happy to run off to Tony Meis or Lforigno for a costume upgrade despite paying top dollar for the stock product. Production throws up all sorts of problems, but Asmus seems to be the only company acknowledging them by offering a way out for their buyers.

:lol Asmus could easily have not bothered fixing anything and leaving collectors with no options at all though. As far as I know, none of the Asmus figures have sold out at PO - it's easy enough to wait for in-hand pics and reviews before purchasing. Hot Toys collectors are generally happy to run off to Tony Meis or Lforigno for a costume upgrade despite paying top dollar for the stock product. Production throws up all sorts of problems, but Asmus seems to be the only company acknowledging them by offering a way out for their buyers.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lejuan again.

I am so sorry to hear you feel like this.

Right from the start (Witchking), we had a vision to take the best LOTR figure ever, for all our products, we send man to China and had 100% QQC, which means we went through every single figure before they are boxed.

Yes, still problems comes and goes, but I must argue this, there are things we cared about and want to have it right, but there are also things, we just didn't see, because everyone has different point of view in grading a good figure. May be some problems mattered to most of the people, but didn't matter to the person did quality check up, than it went out becomes a disaster.

What we will do in the future to avoid this again, is that before our products release, we will ship out a small volume to random close customers of ours. For them to play around and give feedbacks, to see if there is a major problem that we didn't see, and we will have time to fix it before its too late.

Personally,
we didn't need to give away free body with Eowyn purchase,
it is a move that will cost at least $5000 extra.

In the company's point of view, those figures are SOLD OUT. if it is not 100%, sure, we can release it again and upgrade it, so whoever ones a better version, he can buy it. or just suck up with what you have.

And who wouldn't buy it if the 2nd version is a leap forward? I paid for my Joker 2.0 even I already own a Joker, Joker DX and Bank Rubber Joker. I own a AVP Celtic predator from 2007 and I also bought a new version from 2014. Also, the countless Tony and Ironman...

At least, Asmus don't want our buyers have to go through this for an upgrade.

That is the truth from bottom of our heart.

I find it kind of awesome that asmus recognizes its faults and gives away an improved version for free. I mean who else does this? They deserve praise not critisism, this coming from someone disappointed by this line so far... I have to give credit where it is due this is a mighty cool move.

I think it's great to offer the new head. They recognized their mistake and are trying to correct it. Some people are just too cynical. No young company would make an inferior product, risking everyone rejecting it, just to try to sell a new head or something. That just isn't logical.

As I said. I have a Gandalf the White, there's an improvement by the manufacturer (it means the old part was defective) and the manufacturer selling it to us.

Sorry but Capitalism.

How it should be? People who owned an Asmus Gandalf the White figure should have the new and fixed head free, at least who bought it directly from Asmus (I didin't buy it from Asmus and I won't be able to get it in that way, so it's not personal). Others who want it they may be able to buy it from Asmus' site.

On the other hand if Asmus put any production number or something on the box I may proove that I own a Gandalf the White figure. But now I cannot.

So how can it be??????

Asmus should offer the new head for a minimal price and with a big batch. There will be many people who wants to buy it even the own a Gandalf the White figure or not. We don't want to have a stock issue.

Last edited:
I'm not in total agreement that you must buy GTG to get the sculpt for free. With that said though I do recognize what Asmus is doing is almost unheard of in the collectibles field and I applaud them for it. I also say that the product is not defective, just the likeness is not as good as it could be. A defective product would be one that was damaged or lopsided. The Gandalf we got looks very much like the one that was shown in prototype stage after they got rid of the Santa beard. They are trying remedy something that they have gotten complaints on without taking too much of a financial hit.

I don't want to belabor but if they are releasing a "fixed" Gandalf head it means old face was "defective".

If they release a "new" and "fully different" head (for example: open mouth, dynamic hair etc...) I "may be" agree.

On the other hand I can clearly say that I, too, don't think the head was defective. May be improved but was satisfying. Moreover the head sculpt isn't one of the main issues for this figure. The sword hilt looks like a cheap toy, the staff is not tall enough and the biggest one, the vest is not compatible with the movie. These are more important defects of a "$179.99" figure.

But releasing a "fixed" head and making it a part of a fully non-compatible figure and also selling it separately is a different story.

Last edited:
They already said the old GtW head wasn't good enough. Does that mean defective? Not for me or the others who bought it, simply because it was actually good enough to make the purchase. And I still think it is good, so this new is just a nice gift coming with GtG (that I'm going to buy, of course).

Back