Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I think HT's Godfather packaging had it beat years ago already.

And Samurai Predator.

TDW Thor's is pretty nice too.

DX boxes in general have a luxurious experience to them also.

And many others. Their care in protecting the figure along with a good understanding of graphic design puts them above.

Last edited:
I decided to finally get this figure. Will have to wait until March when work picks up, so hopefully BBTS still has it for $150 then.

Honestly even with the squished head sculpt this is one of my favorite figures right now. He is currently in the space of honor right next to the laptop at home.

I just ordered Gandalf from Alter Ego. I'm very excited to receive him and see what I think. I really want to get into the LOTR and Hobbit 1:6 Line. Nothing else has been sparking my interest lately so while i'm saving I thought I would treat myself to something new and something I've been wanting for a while. I can't wait!

Well today was the day and sadly I have a harsh write up. I am not blaming Alter Ego. They have been fantastic and probably will help me out in this situation but oh man i'm not going to be light on this one. Normally if I receive something and it has a few issues I let it go and fix them. Here is where I draw the line. I received Gandalf in. Right away i opened the shipper box which it was double boxed and everything was protected so thanks to Alter Ego for doing so. But the Asmus shipper box not even a dent or so. The art box came with a dent. No biggie. The style was nice but the cardboard felt cheap. Open the clam shell and the tray felt super cheap and it was. Mine had holes and was broken and smashed. The head was popped off and slipped through the back crack onto the second tray underneath. Well I ignored it and tried to keep positive. The figure seemed to be in good shape but right away both hand pegs broke. Now I can use them. The head won't pop back on either and the fraying on the costume was ridiculous i was cutting the stray strings away to make it look neat for picture time but it all went away once the pegs broke. Nothing went the right way. The quality control is ridiculous on this. How could the let this pass through. Not blaming Alter Ego. I'm blaming Asmus. I was going to be happy if the pegs didn't break but it also seems the rubber on the neck was coming apart. Not happy at all. I think sadly this left a bad taste in my mouth and i'm not going to be collecting this line from Asmus. This was just ridiculous.

That's unfortunate. I had none of these problems. Everything was super tight in mine. I wouldn't give up on them yet. It could have been the courier in this case.

Well looks like I might be getting a replacement figure. Hopefully it goes all good if that's the case. Just really upset me about all those issues in one day. I still thinking of not buying anymore from the line even if my replacement figure is in good hands. Still feel bitter about the whole thing.

Alright all here's some pics I took last night before the pegs snapped. I got to say if mine really came in with not this extent of issues I would of been very happy. I will save my full honest review and thoughts for when I get my replacement unless I don't and I have to return him. Either way he really is a good figure for the price but Asmus needs to keep Quality Control in mind. I can see them in the future being huge competitors and being successful. They just need to tie down and make sure each figure gets controlled well. Anyways here's some pics I took and hopefully I can review him soon.

Ryan

rac6md.jpg

zjuo9x.jpg

cm3j7.jpg

25tguo0.jpg

I read in another thread that Asmus is redoing the head on this one - is that true? I sure hope so. I am by no means attempting to hate on any of you, but my gods, the head sculpt is so, so bad. I don't understand why this was not changed before production, and since it wasn't, I don't understand why people bought it.

I read in another thread that Asmus is redoing the head on this one - is that true? I sure hope so. I am by no means attempting to hate on any of you, but my gods, the head sculpt is so, so bad. I don't understand why this was not changed before production, and since it wasn't, I don't understand why people bought it.

Yes they are redoing the head but with a catch. You must purchase GTG which comes with a certificate in the box. I guess you then take a pic of GTW and the certificate and send it to Asmus. I have mixed feeling on this. I think it's wonderful that they are doing it but you must make a purchase to get it.

As far as the original head sculpt goes, it's not great but it isn't bad. I believe when they narrowed the beard is when it got that gaunt look it has. There is an unpainted pic of the head sculpt somewhere after they fixed the beard and to me it looks like what we got.

It's definitely better in person even though i'm sending mine back but Asmus is making an upgraded sculpt like the person above stated.

Yes they are redoing the head but with a catch. You must purchase GTG which comes with a certificate in the box. I guess you then take a pic of GTW and the certificate and send it to Asmus. I have mixed feeling on this. I think it's wonderful that they are doing it but you must make a purchase to get it.

As far as the original head sculpt goes, it's not great but it isn't bad. I believe when they narrowed the beard is when it got that gaunt look it has. There is an unpainted pic of the head sculpt somewhere after they fixed the beard and to me it looks like what we got.

Has there been any word on Gandalf the grey? I want him more than anything in the line at this point.

Still feel uneasy with their 'solution'. Like Witch-Kings replacement body that would be released at a later time for free, then packaged with Eowyn, then for free after purchasing Eowyn.

I hope GTG is a step forward. Not paying $200+ for Sideshow's that does not stand up with current figures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Considering this is the only Gandalf figure we're likely to get for the foreseeable future...I'm willing to forgive a little. But not for a figure that disintegrates coming out of the box.

Considering this is the only Gandalf figure we're likely to get for the foreseeable future...I'm willing to forgive a little. But not for a figure that disintegrates coming out of the box.

Asmus has said GtG is in their plans. I'm holding out for that one.

Back