Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, just received mine too... sharing some pics taken from hp. Hope dun mind... did a head swap to see how it look 20160818_191530.jpg20160818_191455.jpg20160818_191423.jpg

My ankles are pretty much fine on mine. I have little issue there.

What I did do was remove the fat suit. I highly suggest all of you do this as well.

Otherwise I'm pretty impressed. The sculpt is there especially with angular shots and I'll eat crow, I'm actually liking the rooted hair.

Use the beard to pin hair! Create loops that will pull hair in the directions you need and tuck it beneath the beard. You can manipulate it easily that way! I did make a point to loosen up the product in the hair a bit. But I didn't not wash it out. Just detangled with my fingers a bit. All around though I like what I paid for and am glad to have supported Asmus. Getting away from the macro photography does the sculpt a world of good. I may darken his eyebrows a bit and add some depth to the beard below the lower lip. But otherwise, it looks very good. Everyone's gonna know who this is.

211e0200ff66924ddc8adb0ed9b11c38.jpg

Absolutely love this picture. And he does look great without the fat suit.

I was one of the ones who chose to leave the fat suit in my Heisenberg, so I totally hear what you're saying. But given that, the padding that is on the figure is a right bullet proof vest and very stiff, not squidgy.

The effect you describe is definitely achieved by the bagginess of his robes and the cotton long sleeve shirt underneath. Whether it actually was caused by that in reality or not, I can't say, but it looks the part here with a slightly tightened belt. I'm not going to undo my whole pose, but you can see here from this side photo that you get exactly the style you're looking for.

You also get much more naturalistic folds in the robe without it, and a decreased barrel chest effect. Look at Gandalf in Moria or in Bag End, he's not downing 6 packs by any means. A wee bit of puff, but again that could very well be the robes.

I'm expecting that you might add your own batting honestly. The body underneath, while muscularly sculpted, is surprisingly slim. The wrist pegs are actually tiny, almost akin to female HT ones, to give you an idea.

Side note: I definitely hope I didn't come across as upset or confrontational! I think you cite a good point and I just wanted to show my justifications!

Well I think that sharing tips, tricks and mods is a great part of this hobby and this section of the boards is always constructive and polite, so you're more than welcome.

The fatsuit is identical to the one that came with Gothmog. Very stiff indeed. But the different body may be a game changer...Saruman was on the simil-Kaustic Asmus has been using since GtW and it's totally ripped with large shoulders, tiny waist and big thighs...fatsuit was desperately needed! :lol
s-l300.jpg

I just got a notice from my local retailer that my figure is coming at the beginning of October. I thought that the figure would ship rather fast because it was one of the retailers mentioned on the Asmus website. :impatient:

ok, this sword hilt...help me out, cannot figure this out. Can they not print instructions that don't look like they came from 1974 in China? Contrast, people, contrast!

Last edited:
Thanks @Thainitty and @Lieutenant Kurin, really a great difference in previous GTW and current GTG. Eagerly awaits for an more accurate replacement head for GTW. ��

ok, this sword hilt...help me out, cannot figure this out. Can they not print instructions that don't look like they came from 1974 in China? Contrast, people, contrast!

Did you get it to work? They have you sliding the hilt through the three loops, two on the loose piece of leather on the belt, one on the side of the end. That third one is the only one - on mine - small enough to hold the scabbard though, so I didn't do it in the order they show, but rather had the two larger loops below the smaller loop so it would stay in place. You can also just glue the loops into tighter circles - which I've since done - and it works far better.

I found another video with some nice close-ups. It looks like some of the figures have thicker hair (products/water treatment?) than others:

Did you get it to work? They have you sliding the hilt through the three loops, two on the loose piece of leather on the belt, one on the side of the end. That third one is the only one - on mine - small enough to hold the scabbard though, so I didn't do it in the order they show, but rather had the two larger loops below the smaller loop so it would stay in place. You can also just glue the loops into tighter circles - which I've since done - and it works far better.

Thanks man! I ended up wrapping the double looped one around the belt a couple times to make them smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@hoodonit00 I ordered direct from asmus pretty much the day it was up for pre order...have tracking, just waiting anxiously now

Well I think that sharing tips, tricks and mods is a great part of this hobby and this section of the boards is always constructive and polite, so you're more than welcome.

The fatsuit is identical to the one that came with Gothmog. Very stiff indeed. But the different body may be a game changer...Saruman was on the simil-Kaustic Asmus has been using since GtW and it's totally ripped with large shoulders, tiny waist and big thighs...fatsuit was desperately needed! [emoji38]
s-l300.jpg

I'd say that's the same body actually! It just feels wayyyyy smaller and lankier even with the muscle sculpt than a normal true type body, which is not what I expected. The upside to removing the fat suit is that the clothes are tailored a bit bigger to accommodate it, so the robes more naturally. You will have to tie the pants tighter, though, should you do it. The ability to move the arms across the chest more is a great bonus as well.
Man this figure is looking great. Those of you who ordered this from Asmus, and either have it or have a tracking number, how long ago did you order it?
I ordered day of or next dayish and it shipped on the 11th and arrived on the 17th...which is faster than any Sideshow order I've ever placed haha.

One more in low light.

a71ccb14927254fc7f9c760392837c60.jpg

Quick shelf shot. Really can't wait to get shooting this. Anyone get the hair to be more "wavy"? Started to get it that way on the left side, but I'm not sure how far to go with opening up/separating the hair.

Gandalf-close-low-1200.jpg

Yes! Got my shipping/tracking info this morning :yess: thanks for asking wor-gar....hope we get him quick!

I got my tracking as well. Great customer service from Asmus

Either of you guys have a link to a tracking service that works? For the life of me nothing comes up for me on any of the sites I tried.

Comatoast: cool pic! :clap

Back