Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really couldn't spare a second to check your writing before you post? It was that urgent?
i'm sorry, but often i have only few minutes free to post, and sometimes i had no time left to read my messages... if you need more info how i spent my daytime you can pm me..i will be happy to give you all the explanations that you need... anyways i see that you also didn't had the time to read again what you wrote in order to see that you were very rude...so the lack of time seems a common problem for both of us. i'm sorry if my message hurts you... put me in ignore list so my way of writing will not offend your eyes again. Best regards

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

If one has no time to be sure one is communicating a message clearly maybe the message should be delayed until there is time. The whole point is to communicate to others and not just sound off on some ego trip, right? Just sayin. :peace

If one has no time to be sure one is communicating a message clearly maybe the message should be delayed until there is time. The whole point is to communicate to others and not just sound off on some ego trip, right? Just sayin. :peace

Maybe one thinks that he have time to check his message but something different happens... in the meantime he has other priority and forget to check his message again after he already has posted it... in any case the first rule in a discussion board should be to express our opinions in a polite way... it's absolutely not necessary to be rude. Any of us should think at least twice before posting a message that could be offensive to other people. I already apologize to have posted a not so clear message...
And now please can we return in topic? Thanks

New tease on Facebook for a Martin Freeman Bilbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I’m just being a big baby but at this stage I don’t even care about Martin Freeman Bilbo. Frodo is known for his flipping big blue eyes. They are freakishly big BLUE eyes. Every time I watch the damn movies I comment on how unnaturally big and blue his damn eyes are! If I line up all the hobbits side by side on the shelf and you’re immediately drawn the to bright eyes of Sam over Frodo then something has gone wrong...
Not too mention the weak skin and hair paint. Frodo is debatablely the main character of the franchise, he should be a standout on the shelf. Sigh.

Maybe I’m just being a big baby but at this stage I don’t even care about Martin Freeman Bilbo. Frodo is known for his flipping big blue eyes. They are freakishly big BLUE eyes. Every time I watch the damn movies I comment on how unnaturally big and blue his damn eyes are! If I line up all the hobbits side by side on the shelf and you’re immediately drawn the to bright eyes of Sam over Frodo then something has gone wrong...
Not too mention the weak skin and hair paint. Frodo is debatablely the main character of the franchise, he should be a standout on the shelf. Sigh.

I agree, I felt pretty flat after seeing it.
I’m still waiting for my pale Frodo to arrive with no real excitement anymore.

I’m going to have to get mine repainted, which will cost more than the sculpt did. Very frustrating and disappointing, but I guess it’ll be worth it in the end. I’m come this far (and bought so many versions...) that hopefully this is the last hurdle on the way to a complete fellowship. It does leave it on rather a sad note though...

I got the Frodo and Sam slim set recently. My Frodo is fine, blue eyes intact. But after reading these posts I finally realized why my Sam looks off. His eyes are also bright blue and his hair is too blond. He looks like a California surfer dude. Time to break out the paints.

Well the head sculpt is good,
I have the slim version too and I like it,
But i did repaint mine
Here is my try, liked it before and I still like it after the repaint,

c4f990fc0f90c8c43c57709279572928.jpg
edde21a24ce1c2e3195a79df13e5226f.jpg
6c45ed71db51964cf6fef2591f29af36.jpg

Very nice work...now that I have a blue eyed Slim Frodo in hand, you've made me think about sending my expansion head for a repaint.

Original Frodo with Expansion head swap (left) and Slim Frodo (right). (Again...great eBay recommendation. Arrived 48 hours (and on a Sunday) after I ordered.)

Sam is nearly identical. The reason the five o clock shadow goatee looks more pronounced on the expansion set is that Sam's face as a whole is slightly paler than the first batch Slims which makes the stubble stand out more.

Frodos.jpg

Well the head sculpt is good,
I have the slim version too and I like it,
But i did repaint mine
Here is my try, liked it before and I still like it after the repaint,

c4f990fc0f90c8c43c57709279572928.jpg
edde21a24ce1c2e3195a79df13e5226f.jpg
6c45ed71db51964cf6fef2591f29af36.jpg

That is amazing, and what we should have received.

Sent from my HUAWEI TIT-U02 using Tapatalk

Original Frodo with Expansion head swap (left) and Slim Frodo (right). (Again...great eBay recommendation. Arrived 48 hours (and on a Sunday) after I ordered.)

Sam is nearly identical. The reason the five o clock shadow goatee looks more pronounced on the expansion set is that Sam's face as a whole is slightly paler than the first batch Slims which makes the stubble stand out more.

View attachment 410959
The comparison clearly show the abyss in painting between the heads... can you please post a pictures of sam heads too? Finger crossed for mine... chinese guy stated that all his stock was delivered to him way before may and that he had shipped exactly the frodo he photographed for me... but you know... until you have it in your hands you can't be absolutely sure...

Here's the response I got from Asmus when I raised the issues I had with the Frodo head sculpt and cloak tailoring.

"The new paint is completed and done. We went over Frodo from the film again for the second batch production and felt that he should be a bit paler. That's why we cut down on the texture to give him a more cleared-skin appearances.

As for the cape, we are able to find a fabric that's sturdy enough that won't get frizzy even without the hem line. And it would be more fitting to the craftsmanship at the time of the story.

We hope this clarifies your concern and if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us."

Definitely not happy with that response, but not sure what else can be done about it if that's their official response. It's as bad as Hot Toys saying the purple Alien head on some of their Samurai Predator was deliberately pale/brown because it was meant to show the bloody had run out of it, despite many figures having proper purple paint app.

I just dont buy that they went with a lack of paint texture because Frodo had a pale complexion in the movie. Also not sure how the material of the new cloak is any better than the first to make them decide not to finish off the hem.

Was really looking forward to them releasing Gimli. Hope they smash that out of the park so it can wash out the bad taste in my mouth with this Frodo expansion. I much prefer Frodo with a some colour in his face!

220px-Elijah_Wood_as_Frodo_Baggins.jpg

I can live with a paler skintone... even if i prefer the old one... but what about wrong eyes color and floppy hair paint? The new head seems a low quality ko than the first one...

Here's the response I got from Asmus when I raised the issues I had with the Frodo head sculpt and cloak tailoring.

"The new paint is completed and done. We went over Frodo from the film again for the second batch production and felt that he should be a bit paler. That's why we cut down on the texture to give him a more cleared-skin appearances.

As for the cape, we are able to find a fabric that's sturdy enough that won't get frizzy even without the hem line. And it would be more fitting to the craftsmanship at the time of the story.

We hope this clarifies your concern and if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us."

Definitely not happy with that response, but not sure what else can be done about it if that's their official response. It's as bad as Hot Toys saying the purple Alien head on some of their Samurai Predator was deliberately pale/brown because it was meant to show the bloody had run out of it, despite many figures having proper purple paint app.

I just dont buy that they went with a lack of paint texture because Frodo had a pale complexion in the movie. Also not sure how the material of the new cloak is any better than the first to make them decide not to finish off the hem.

Was really looking forward to them releasing Gimli. Hope they smash that out of the park so it can wash out the bad taste in my mouth with this Frodo expansion. I much prefer Frodo with a some colour in his face!

View attachment 410962

Wow. Looks like my support for Asmus is diminishing. What a pathetic response. They are basically saying “Our reasoning for cutting corners on quality is to make it more accurate”.
Sorry Asmus, you’re losing me here. Here’s hoping Gimli turns out as good as we are all hoping. I wont be preordering Bilbo. I’ll wait till he’s actually released to ensure I’m happy with what I see first.

I don’t understand why we, the people who supported you by preordering the first batch, are getting stiffed. We ordered first and then you came out with an improved slim version. We paid for the expansion head sculpts first and we get them after you shipped out all the slim versions. And then to top it all off once ours arrive they are of a lesser quality and your response is you went for a more “accurate” paint job?!? You’ve cut corners plain and simple. Your hair paint is so thin you can see the plastic, your eyes are the the wrong colour, you left out the skin texturing and you’ve left out the stitching on the cloak. Let’s call it what it is, either cost cutting or factory stuff up, but let’s not pretend this was a good decision on your part.

View attachment 410962
Totally ignored the paint app on the eyes altogether. WOW.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wow. Looks like my support for Asmus is diminishing. What a pathetic response. They are basically saying “Our reasoning for cutting corners on quality is to make it more accurate”.
Sorry Asmus, you’re losing me here. Here’s hoping Gimli turns out as good as we are all hoping. I wont be preordering Bilbo. I’ll wait till he’s actually released to ensure I’m happy with what I see first.

I don’t understand why we, the people who supported you by preordering the first batch, are getting stiffed. We ordered first and then you came out with an improved slim version. We paid for the expansion head sculpts first and we get them after you shipped out all the slim versions. And then to top it all off once ours arrive they are of a lesser quality and your response is you went for a more “accurate” paint job?!? You’ve cut corners plain and simple. Your hair paint is so thin you can see the plastic, your eyes are the the wrong colour, you left out the skin texturing and you’ve left out the stitching on the cloak. Let’s call it what it is, either cost cutting or factory stuff up, but let’s not pretend this was a good decision on your part.
AMEN.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Totally ignored the paint app on the eyes altogether. WOW.

Yep. Unfortunate but not unexpected. Doesn't make it right though of course.

I held off on getting Frodo for a long time... thought I made the right choice to wait... but looks like I made a bad call afterall.

For me its especially crappy, because I ordered the Slim Frodo -- NOT the expansion head -- and I still got the bad head.

Oh well, all that's left is to try and do a little touch-up panting myself. Can't hurt this figure as resale on this is pointless.

Back